Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

General Motors Will Stick With Internal Combustion Engines Amid EV Expansion

I think it's more a case of reality prevailing.

When did they ever say they weren't?
They can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Their aggressive EV targets have been paired back for obvious reasons, but they never said they were only going to do 1 thing :rolleyes:

Maybe this won't be the last gas powered Blackwing after all.

Mixed feelings about that, like the guy who bought Brady's last touchdown ball.

Last edited:
Maybe this won't be the last gas powered Blackwing after all.

Mixed feelings about that, like the guy who bought Brady's last touchdown ball.
Maybe we'll get a hybrid ala the E-Ray for an interim Blackwing before pure electrification?? With 800-ish HP and selectable AWD that could be interesting...

Their aggressive EV targets have been paired back for obvious reasons, but they never said they were only going to do 1 thing :rolleyes:
That has been pretty much the case in all the messaging up until now. I am happy to see a more balanced approach but I assume there are financial challenges when trying to produce both an EV and and ICE version of the same vehicle. It is more than likely cost prohibitive to do so with many vehicles, especially lower volume models. EV platforms are attractive since they can basically build one skateboard EV chassis architecture and drive units and then share them across many products. For example, Tesla enjoys a 28% profit margin per vehicle, which is like 7x of Toyota.

Last edited:

In 2021.

"We will be leaving this decade as an EV brand ... we will not be selling ICE vehicles by 2030."
- Rory Harvey, Vice-President (Global) Cadillac

Source:
Hagerty.com

EDIT: I misread the original article as being about Cadillac. The quote above is Cadillac-specific.

Though I would not be surprised to see Cadillac backpedal. I don't see Escalade buyers whole-heartedly embracing the electric future.

Last edited:
You're talking about Cadillac. GM had targets of 50%+ EV capacity at their North American plants by 2030 - that's not abandoning ICE and they said that back in 2021 😉
It just seems like GM has to address the pancakes vs waffles response of so many, when they get freaked out about EV vs ICE.

I wonder how this will impact sales.

httpss://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/2022/09/07/inflation-reduction-act-benefits-electric-vehicle-tax-incentives-for-consumers-and-us-automakers/?sh=58c661d3117e

Well this program sucks for EVs and foreign cars.

An EV battery’s components must be manufactured or assembled in North America—50% beginning in 2023, increasing by 10% each year, up to 100% in 2028. Starting in 2024, vehicles will not qualify if the battery components were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern.

I don't see how it would be economically feasible to have 100% parts made in the US when the raw materials are simply not found in the US.
1669842255016.png

I wonder how this will impact sales.

httpss://www.forbes.com/sites/energyinnovation/2022/09/07/inflation-reduction-act-benefits-electric-vehicle-tax-incentives-for-consumers-and-us-automakers/?sh=58c661d3117e

Well this program sucks for EVs and foreign cars.

An EV battery’s components must be manufactured or assembled in North America—50% beginning in 2023, increasing by 10% each year, up to 100% in 2028. Starting in 2024, vehicles will not qualify if the battery components were manufactured or assembled by a foreign entity of concern.

I don't see how it would be economically feasible to have 100% parts made in the US when the raw materials are simply not found in the US.

Well, looks like our armed forces are going to be liberating the Australians in the near future.

After Gavin said in September 2020 CA would EV only by 2035, GM stated in early 2021 that they would be EV only by 2035. It was widely documented in the press. Reality is going to smack CA in the face soon too.

After Gavin said in September 2020 CA would EV only by 2035, GM stated in early 2021 that they would be EV only by 2035. It was widely documented in the press. Reality is going to smack CA in the face soon too.

beavis and butthead 90s GIF

They should leave these decisions to the engineers since they have no idea what they are doing. :)

Have you see this two part series? Lots of folks having trouble with the facts here.

As long as something in GMs lineup still offers a stick I'll be happy.

It doesn't have to be an LT4 Blackwing but its sad the Corvette is going auto only and with the Camaro potentially dying in a year it just leaves just the Caddys on the table until they die out.

I'd love a new manual V8 that isn't a Caddy from GM but maybe its a pipe dream.

As long as something in GMs lineup still offers a stick I'll be happy.

It doesn't have to be an LT4 Blackwing but its sad the Corvette is going auto only and with the Camaro potentially dying in a year it just leaves just the Caddys on the table until they die out.

I'd love a new manual V8 that isn't a Caddy from GM but maybe its a pipe dream.
A new Manual v8 will be long gone by the end of this decade. The V8s will be around in trucks and the Vette but those will certainly be auto.

If we're lucky the best we can hope for in a 3 pedal configuration is a 6cyl turbo, but it may very well be an 4cyl turbo.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back