Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

General configuration questions

Todd

Hi, first time poster. If there’s a central reference for my following questions, please point me that way.

Currently a Tango Red Audi RS6 driver. When I was in the market a couple years ago, the 5BW was in the hunt, but the exterior styling and wagon form factor pushed me in the Audi direction. Still love its exterior styling, but the RS6 is like a dull butter knife in all other categories, too soft and luxurious, regardless of its edgy exterior looks.

So, if I do a 5BW, first and foremost it must be manual trans.

That seems to complicate option configuration, and the Caddy configurator is a tad confusing to me. I also realize that 2025 MY brings a refresh, so answers may not apply to the upcoming model.

With MT, there’s no option for an autopilot function (nice to have in heavy interstate traffic). It seems there’s no option even for Adaptive Cruise? I guess that makes sense regarding the inability for the car to downshift on its own with big speed swings.

I’m 6’5” and don’t intend to track the car. I enjoy sunroofs. Will I fit with the High Perf seats and a sunroof?

High Perf seats triggers alcantara wrapped interior. Does that include steering wheel? I cannot stand how alcantara steering wheels wear over time, without incessant care, all the ones I’ve had in the past would get gross and matted.

Carbon ceramic brakes are on the list for me. I neglected to get them on my RS6 and I loathe the relentless brake dust. Any supply chain, aftermarket wheel fitment, or other compromises there?

Must-have options otherwise?

If doing a build to order, what’s delivery lead times these days? When does 2025 order book open?

Mod list will probably include lowering, wheels/tires, and exhaust. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Todd

Lot of questions there, Todd, and Welcome!

You can poke around the general discussion section and get most of your answers. Maybe use the search function. There was a thread about the top trim sets and head room. I believe folks said it was fine.

Super cruise and adaptive are not available with the manual IIRC. The configurator can be a bit confusing.

Alcantara steering wheel and shifter are a $300 stand alone option. That should have been in the configurator.

Not sure there are many down sides to the CCB's other than cost. If you don't track, they should outlast the car.

2025 ordering should be soon, if not now, and start of production keeps getting pushed back. I believe they are now saying May. Find yourself a good, high volume dealer. Seems to be your best bet getting and order built.

Hopefully others will chime in.

1711894911999.gif

My 17 year old grandson isn't far behind you at 6'3" and he has no problem with headroom, even when wearing a baseball cap. I had my wheels and calipers ceramic coated and so far it seems to help quite a bit as far as brake dust. Plus it makes cleaning them much easier.

My only must have is the M6 transmission, so you're doing great there. I ended up ordering steel brakes, but sort of regret making that decision. As @Finally-a-V said, they would likely never need replacement (no track days), no dust, and they just make the sleeper-ish sedan even more special. No matter your wealth, $9k is a lot of money and since they both perform the same, I just couldn't justify the expense so my "regret" is really the function of time removed from the $106k purchase transaction, not true regret like I would have if I ordered the wrong transmission.

Personally I'm never buying another car that doesn't have CCBs. I'm SO sick of cleaning wheels and just rinsing them off and having them be spotless is a magical experience I never want to live without. Sure, 9K is a lot but over the life of the car how much is that going to save you in time, carpel tunnel and back pain?

Personally I'm never buying another car that doesn't have CCBs. I'm SO sick of cleaning wheels and just rinsing them off and having them be spotless is a magical experience I never want to live without. Sure, 9K is a lot but over the life of the car how much is that going to save you in time, carpel tunnel and back pain?
Yeah not going to lie. My car has CCB's and driving back to Cali from Texas (1500 miles) and having the wheels still look fresh as when I picked up the car was really nice.

You can poke around the general discussion section and get most of your answers. Maybe use the search function. There was a thread about the top trim sets and head room. I believe folks said it was fine.

Super cruise and adaptive are not available with the manual IIRC. The configurator can be a bit confusing.

Alcantara steering wheel and shifter are a $300 stand alone option. That should have been in the configurator.

Yes, I saw that thread of the seats, and then watched the embedded video. The reviewer mentioned tall people may have issues with he headrest, I’m assuming it may not extend enough forward or maybe it hits tall people at the base of their neck? Maybe it’s not a headroom issue…

And can the leather wheel be ordered with the high performance seats? The configurator forces the “suade package” when selecting the hp seats, which I think includes the steering wheel?

Amen. With the size of the brakes on these modern sport sedans, paired with their heft, A LOT of dust is produced. My least favorite thing to do when washing the car is wipe down the wheels, hate it. Doesn’t help that I’m rocking gloss black wheels on the RS6.

So what is expected lead time on special orders these days?

For the 5BW, I'm pretty sure the seats are all the same size and fit between the various leather and carbon options. There have been threads about this. The 4BW, on the other hand, is the one that has very basic seats as standard and the upgraded ones have more bolstering and better leather etc.

Yes, I saw that thread of the seats, and then watched the embedded video. The reviewer mentioned tall people may have issues with he headrest, I’m assuming it may not extend enough forward or maybe it hits tall people at the base of their neck? Maybe it’s not a headroom issue…

And can the leather wheel be ordered with the high performance seats? The configurator forces the “suade package” when selecting the hp seats, which I think includes the steering wheel?

Amen. With the size of the brakes on these modern sport sedans, paired with their heft, A LOT of dust is produced. My least favorite thing to do when washing the car is wipe down the wheels, hate it. Doesn’t help that I’m rocking gloss black wheels on the RS6.

The Full Semi-Aniline leather seats don't have any adjustment for the headrest. The "suede package" is the Alcantara interior, i.e., doors, a-pillars, headliner. The steering wheel and shifter are the $300 option (see below).

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 2.40.55 PM.png

The Full Semi-Aniline leather seats don't have any adjustment for the headrest. The "suede package" is the Alcantara interior, i.e., doors, a-pillars, headliner. The steering wheel and shifter are the $300 option (see below).

View attachment 25059

Ok, great, that’s what I couldn’t determine, if the suede package included the steering wheel or not. Glad it does not.

If what I have seen is true, 2024 5BW ordering has concluded. 2025 orders might be able to be made in May, but 2025 production won't be starting until late July or sometime in August. So, it will be quite a few months before an ordered car will actually show up.

I know there are many threads on brakes, but simply using ceramic pads on plain ol' steel rotors also eliminates the dust doesn't it ?

I haven't swapped them yet since I don't drive it that often, but when I do, this will be the next thing I do to the car.

OP - threads on exhaust here too. Packaged solutions are not available, but that is actually a blessing. Local shops do better custom work, and at a tiny fraction of the cost.

I know there are many threads on brakes, but simply using ceramic pads on plain ol' steel rotors also eliminates the dust doesn't it ?

I haven't swapped them yet since I don't drive it that often, but when I do, this will be the next thing I do to the car.

OP - threads on exhaust here too. Packaged solutions are not available, but that is actually a blessing. Local shops do better custom work, and at a tiny fraction of the cost.

My experience with ceramic pads is that they still dust, they just have a more tan colored dust so on certain color wheels you won’t notice it as much. But you still can’t just hose it off. My experience with CCBs on Porsches was pretty much zero dust at all.

Also, unless you would be putting the ceramic pads on immediately, you’re best served replacing the rotors at the same time, or you can get wear mismatch issues.

When you factor the cost to replace pads and rotors on these modern high performance steel brakes, the cost is staggering. I think it’s around $6-7k to service all four rotors and pads on my RS6. That’s almost the cost of CCBs as an installed factory option!!

I am also currently rocking an RS6 with gloss black wheels and looking to get a new blackwing when they become available. I had written off the ceramic brake option, but now you have me thinking about it again 😬

Have you checked the vehicle inventory? It shows some that may meet your criteria including these near PA Site Maintenance

Site Maintenance

Some may be customer orders and not available. Also make sure to read the window sticker because the initial page is sometimes incorrect or misleading about the equipment. It's easy to find the CC brake cars, just look for the window sticker around 120k and up. (I don't know why these links always say site maintenance...)

Last edited:
I was actually contemplating an RS6 for DD duty because versatility, TT V8 power and it just looks downright sexy. But despite all the praise the RS6 gets from automotive reviewers, reading actual peoples reviews it's the complete opposite. Makes me sad because I was seriously considering one.

Have you checked the vehicle inventory? It shows some that may meet your criteria including these near PA

Appreciate this, but I think I’ve reconciled waiting for the refresh to ship. I’m not in a huge hurry and would like to buy what may be this car’s final iteration.

I was actually contemplating an RS6 for DD duty because versatility, TT V8 power and it just looks downright sexy. But despite all the praise the RS6 gets from automotive reviewers, reading actual peoples reviews it's the complete opposite. Makes me sad because I was seriously considering one.

Yeah, I had a Mercedes E63S wagon before the RS6, and had high hopes the RS6 would be the best blend of practical DD use, killer looks, and engaging driving. The E63S wasn’t that sexy looking of a car, since it basically reused the base model sheet metal for the rear half (flares up front, no flares out back).

But the Merc was head and shoulders more of an exciting daily driver, great visceral feedback, incredibly tossable for such a heavy car, and a soundtrack that you could feel in the car. A real German hotrod.

My theory is that Audi knew they could not compete with AMG in the hotrod category, so they leaned hard into luxury and technology to define the brand.

It’s a fine, comfortable DD, and really moves when you get on it, but it has no real soul and always feels like a big boat when driving it. Too soft for me.

I’m thinking the 5BW could finally check all the boxes for me in a DD.

Last week I parked my DD (IS350) and drove the CT5BW for the week, just to change things up.
2 trips to the office (75 miles one way) and running errands for the week I used almost 3 tanks of gas.

I'm thinking about it now but when I was driving the BW the last thing on my mind was how much gas I used in just one week.

I would gladly do it again just because the whole week I didn't want to get out of the car. I had no reason to go in to the office but I just wanted to go. Even my girlfriend was like "You're going to the office again?" and I was like "Yeah the paperwork I submitted yesterday somehow never made it so I gotta go do it again."
Lowes, Costco, walmart, all had trips planned for some reason.

I just want to drive this car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners