Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Fuel Economy

Only if you're annoyed by the dash message.

I mean, it's more annoying than just a dash message... it will force you into 4th if you're not paying attention, and my experience was always that it ended up lugging like hell after it did (no idea how it's actually supposed to help with emissions/fuel economy, but I digress...), but it is relatively easy to avoid once you get used to it.

I mean, it's more annoying than just a dash message... it will force you into 4th if you're not paying attention, and my experience was always that it ended up lugging like hell after it did (no idea how it's actually supposed to help with emissions/fuel economy, but I digress...), but it is relatively easy to avoid once you get used to it.

The only M6 I've driven had the eliminator installed. So I haven't experienced this. But how does it force you to 4th? Does it physically lock out 2 and 3? I always thought it was just the dash notification.

Not in my experience in a 2018 ZL1 1LE. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only M6 I've driven had the eliminator installed. So I haven't experienced this. But how does it force you to 4th? Does it physically lock out 2 and 3? I always thought it was just the dash notification.

Not in my experience in a 2018 ZL1 1LE. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I mean, I haven't driven a car with it since the C6 so maybe they changed it, but my experience was that yes, it will physically lock you out of 2nd and 3rd if you shift while the dash light is on. You can dump it into neutral and basically double clutch to override it, but otherwise it's going to send you to 4th come hell or high water.

I mean, I haven't driven a car with it since the C6 so maybe they changed it, but my experience was that yes, it will physically lock you out of 2nd and 3rd if you shift while the dash light is on. You can dump it into neutral and basically double clutch to override it, but otherwise it's going to send you to 4th come hell or high water.
What RPM were you shifting at? In normal street driving, I shift ~ 4,000 RPMs.

Thanks for all the replies - this is interesting. I have read that it's only in effect with the engine warmed up, between certain (low) speeds and at low throttle openings. I test drove a 2019 ZL1 manual to get some experience with the drivetrain, and noticed the dash message but was able to shift into second anyway. I assumed the prior owner had installed the eliminator, but maybe not? This was definitely at lower RPMs than 4k.

FWIW, I tried shifting 1st to 4th at ~20mph just to see what happened - with the mountain of torque there was zero lug, just 'regular' acceleration.

What RPM were you shifting at? In normal street driving, I shift ~ 4,000 RPMs.

It was probably below that. Would only happen during slow driving, usually in congested areas, which is what made it even more annoying--I didn't have the revs to sustain 4th, and would have to immediately downshift anyway. Try it when you're stuck in traffic and want to get out of 1st at like 2,500-3,500 and cruise in 2nd, but surprise you're in 4th and on the verge of stalling.

At least on the C7 it only kicked in if you were very light on the throttle. Just give it more gas and it'll won't try to skip shift. I never had a problem with it.

@Mirza Grebovic helped us out with a response to this one already:

No skippin here..... just no liftin all out....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back