Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Front bumper removal - caught road debris to the grill

Cadillac CT4-V model

TXBeau

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Has anyone removed the front bumper? I started the day by catching something with the upper grill of my car this morning. I did get lucky that nothing hit any of the heat exchangers. Now I’m driving around like a hockey player.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6886.jpeg

Wow, what are the chances. My grill broke in the exact same place a few months ago

A grille swap shouldn't be that bad. Lucky that was all that was damaged.

Update:
I ordered a new grill but won’t get it until the UAW strike is over. So plan B was build/repair the one I have. Took me about three days to do, not a clean as I would like but when Monday rolls around it needs to be back together.
IMG_6935.jpeg

The service manual you can get access to online for 3 days ($22) has the procedure described ACDelco TDS . You want Document 5867349 (with carbon fiber) or
document 5839479 (no carbon fiber) in Body Hardware and Trim - Exterior Trim - Repair Instructions. Tip, you don't need to jack up the car. I've taken the bumper off twice and had no problem getting access to the lower front screws. Another tip, crank your wheels full right or left and that will make getting to the fender well screws easier. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them. Also see my post here: Carbon fiber PN database.

Update:
I ordered a new grill but won’t get it until the UAW strike is over. So plan B was build/repair the one I have. Took me about three days to do, not a clean as I would like but when Monday rolls around it needs to be back together.View attachment 22398
I think you did a great job! Don

I agree. Great job on making the best out of a bad situation.

I also agree with @DCV; painting it black would be my preference too.

The service manual you can get access to online for 3 days ($22) has the procedure described ACDelco TDS . You want Document 5867349 (with carbon fiber) or
document 5839479 (no carbon fiber) in Body Hardware and Trim - Exterior Trim - Repair Instructions. Tip, you don't need to jack up the car. I've taken the bumper off twice and had no problem getting access to the lower front screws. Another tip, crank your wheels full right or left and that will make getting to the fender well screws easier. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see them. Also see my post here: Carbon fiber PN database.

Just did this last night and will share my findings in case they're helpful for anyone else who searches "bumper removal" or "how to remove bumper CT4VBW" or whatever.

Yes to all of these of these tips.

I initially had the car on ramps but bailed on that once I realized you essentially had to be able to turn the wheel for wheel well clearance. If you do get the car in the air for this, an oil change would be a great "while you're in there" thing to do, or vice versa.

Also, I would hate to have to do this job with a manual ratchet for the T15 Torx bit; you'd be there all day. I found a way to adapt down to 1/4" drive for my battery ratchet and it saved me tons of time. I think I did 4x in each wheel well, the 7 or 8 along the core support, and maybe 15ish along the splitter/ front lip area.
For the one bolt holding fender to bumper, a ratcheting 7mm box wrench would be best but I got it done with a 7mm socket.

Otherwise, the tips listed in this post from @Dirkbg are also great. I still struggled a bit with the main connection harness but eventually got it. Unfortunately, I too struggled with the clips under the driver's headlight. Apparently so did my body shop that replaced the bumper (long story), as one of the tabs under the headlight was broken and reglued. I rebroke it during removal and have reglued it, again, and hope it will hold enough to snug everything up. Once the driver's side headlight clips were out, there was enough wiggle room in the whole thing to make the passenger side ones a breeze.

I hope your install goes better than mine... after all that, the dive planes i was installing didn't fit and broke a bunch of tabs, but that's a separate post.

Just did this last night and will share my findings in case they're helpful for anyone else who searches "bumper removal" or "how to remove bumper CT4VBW" or whatever.

Yes to all of these of these tips.

I initially had the car on ramps but bailed on that once I realized you essentially had to be able to turn the wheel for wheel well clearance. If you do get the car in the air for this, an oil change would be a great "while you're in there" thing to do, or vice versa.

Also, I would hate to have to do this job with a manual ratchet for the T15 Torx bit; you'd be there all day. I found a way to adapt down to 1/4" drive for my battery ratchet and it saved me tons of time. I think I did 4x in each wheel well, the 7 or 8 along the core support, and maybe 15ish along the splitter/ front lip area.
For the one bolt holding fender to bumper, a ratcheting 7mm box wrench would be best but I got it done with a 7mm socket.

Otherwise, the tips listed in this post from @Dirkbg are also great. I still struggled a bit with the main connection harness but eventually got it. Unfortunately, I too struggled with the clips under the driver's headlight. Apparently so did my body shop that replaced the bumper (long story), as one of the tabs under the headlight was broken and reglued. I rebroke it during removal and have reglued it, again, and hope it will hold enough to snug everything up. Once the driver's side headlight clips were out, there was enough wiggle room in the whole thing to make the passenger side ones a breeze.

I hope your install goes better than mine... after all that, the dive planes i was installing didn't fit and broke a bunch of tabs, but that's a separate post.

Youve got me wondering now about the dive planes! My Tapout ones come tomorrow and ive got a CF pkg bumper ready to be picked up that I plan on stealing the mounts off of. You say yours didnt fit, what route did you go?

Verify your fit on the factory slotted bumper cover. That should give you an idea if it's going to work well, or what modifications you may need on your modified original cover.

Verify your fit on the factory slotted bumper cover. That should give you an idea if it's going to work well, or what modifications you may need on your modified original cover.
Well damn, such a simple idea and it never even occurred to me! Thank you Lol

I'm sorry I made such a stupid comment. It won't happen again.

Youve got me wondering now about the dive planes! My Tapout ones come tomorrow and ive got a CF pkg bumper ready to be picked up that I plan on stealing the mounts off of. You say yours didnt fit, what route did you go?

I posted all my findings over at this thread in case that's helpful:

Also I found Dirkbg's bumper removal tips helpful and added some my thoughts on the process in this post:

Good luck!

I posted all my findings over at this thread in case that's helpful:

Also I found Dirkbg's bumper removal tips helpful and added some my thoughts on the process in this post:

Good luck!
Thanks so much! Hadn't come across that first thread yet. It's got me a little nervous I must say. I suppose I'll see how they fit on the new bumper before I modify my existing one. Hope I got a good set coming 🙏. Anyone mention what epoxy these used for the mounts? Was looking at 3m 8115 but 65$ for a little bit, hopefully something more affordable will suffice.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back