Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Floor jack for ct5v blackwing

Mikey_hux

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Hi Everyone,

Any recommendation for a floor jack? Do I need a low profile one? My ct5v blackwing is stock and not lowered. I do have cf1 and cf2.

Thank you in advance.

Well, like all things...how much you wanna spend?

I have three floor jacks. Two from Harbor Freight and the Low Jack from Argo. The HF jacks are $100 and $250. The Argo is $1k

All three work with the BW. I purchased the Argo to use with the Jackpoint stands.

If you are lifting from the weld, almost any low profile jack will work. If you are trying to reach farther underneath, the Argo will work.

Well, like all things...how much you wanna spend?

I have three floor jacks. Two from Harbor Freight and the Low Jack from Argo. The HF jacks are $100 and $250. The Argo is $1k

All three work with the BW. I purchased the Argo to use with the Jackpoint stands.

If you are lifting from the weld, almost any low profile jack will work. If you are trying to reach farther underneath, the Argo will work.
Thank you. I think the 3ton will work. It’s only for minor work. Was thinking of putting 4 jack stands to lift the car up so I can install an under glow light (still not sure). Is it hard to lift up the car with the 4 jack stand?

Thank you. I think the 3ton will work. It’s only for minor work. Was thinking of putting 4 jack stands to lift the car up so I can install an under glow light (still not sure). Is it hard to lift up the car with the 4 jack stand?
So...it's far more drama than any car I have had before to get all 4 wheels off the ground.

I had a QuickJack 5000EXT, but it wasn't long enough to reach the lift points on the pinch welds. I sold it and got the 6000ELX which DOES lift the car quite nicely. But I only have CF1.

While I was waiting for the 6000, I researched jacks and jack stands. Found Jackpoint because of a thread here and bought a set of those. Eventual goal is a two-post lift.

I am admittedly paranoid about jack stands. I have had two close calls and now I refuse to use them to lift 4 wheels. The Jackpoint stands are the exception. They really are a cool product.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 64
Ths
So...it's far more drama than any car I have had before to get all 4 wheels off the ground.

I had a QuickJack 5000EXT, but it wasn't long enough to reach the lift points on the pinch welds. I sold it and got the 6000ELX which DOES lift the car quite nicely. But I only have CF1.

While I was waiting for the 6000, I researched jacks and jack stands. Found Jackpoint because of a thread here and bought a set of those. Eventual goal is a two-post lift.

I am admittedly paranoid about jack stands. I have had two close calls and now I refuse to use them to lift 4 wheels. The Jackpoint stands are the exception. They really are a cool product.

Thank You. I’m scared to put jack stands on all 4 places that’s why I haven’t pulled the trigger to try it out. I was looking at the quickjack 6000elx but very pricey. But using the quickjack wouldn’t it cover the sides? So I won’t be able to put the strip of led lights?

Eventual goal is a two-post lift.

I am admittedly paranoid about jack stands. I have had two close calls and now I refuse to use them to lift 4 wheels.
I think we all have an eventual goal of a two post lift. Most of us just don't have the space. The rest of us don't have the money. ;)

I've always thought that jack stands were the safest way to keep a car up, although I think a solid set of ramps is equally safe, but can make it difficult to get to parts of the engine. Or useless if you're removing wheels.

I am a little curious about those close calls, was it user error or did a stand fail? I have two sets, one I inherited that are likely older than I am, and the other are still probably 30+ years old. I suspect that anything available these days is sourced from China, and I generally don't trust them.

My conventional Harbor Freight floor jack has no problem getting under the lift points in the BW, but it (the jack) is a piece of crap and I wouldn't trust it to hold up my lunch for more than a few minutes.

OP, if all you are doing is installing lights, why do you need all four wheels off the ground? Can't you just do one side at a time? Easier and certainly safer.

I too use QuickJacks but have to turn them 90 degrees to run side to side which is an approved and safe use. I do think they would interfere with the sides if you're trying to do something like install CF there.

Unlike some, I dream/plan for a FOUR post lift (much easier since it doesn't have to be mounted to the floor.)

I too use QuickJacks but have to turn them 90 degrees to run side to side which is an approved and safe use. I do think they would interfere with the sides if you're trying to do something like install CF there.

Unlike some, I dream/plan for a FOUR post lift (much easier since it doesn't have to be mounted to the floor.)
4 post lift would definitely be awesome

I think we all have an eventual goal of a two post lift. Most of us just don't have the space. The rest of us don't have the money. ;)

I've always thought that jack stands were the safest way to keep a car up, although I think a solid set of ramps is equally safe, but can make it difficult to get to parts of the engine. Or useless if you're removing wheels.

I am a little curious about those close calls, was it user error or did a stand fail? I have two sets, one I inherited that are likely older than I am, and the other are still probably 30+ years old. I suspect that anything available these days is sourced from China, and I generally don't trust them.

My conventional Harbor Freight floor jack has no problem getting under the lift points in the BW, but it (the jack) is a piece of crap and I wouldn't trust it to hold up my lunch for more than a few minutes.

OP, if all you are doing is installing lights, why do you need all four wheels off the ground? Can't you just do one side at a time? Easier and certainly safer.
You are right. I just think it would be easier if all 4 wheels are off the ground.

All the 4-posts I know of are lifts with wheels installed. No 4-posts I know of that let you lift from frame.

All the 4-posts I know of are lifts with wheels installed. No 4-posts I know of that let you lift from frame.
I'm looking at Advantage and their 4-posts (like others) include sliding jack trays so you can lift the car from regular jack points.

lotus+r8.jpg

highly recommend!

What’s generally the minimum slab thickness needed for one of those?

What’s generally the minimum slab thickness needed for one of those?
the install guide says "3.5" thick 3,500psi reinforced slab" but for four post lift there's very minimal requirements because you are not anchoring it into the concrete. it just needs to support the weight of the lift itself i built my garage anticipating i would so its overdone but i prefer the 4 post lift setup.

Did not know that. I’ll check them out.
bendpak is the defacto go to usually and that was going to be my choice as well but my installer actually recommended the AA lift. a lot of the bendpak 'extras' was included in their price like the oil drip trays, ramps, sliding jack tray etc

bendpak required air for lock release, i have a Foward 4 post lift (no air required) that came with casters to move around along with driptrays and i added on a rolling jack assembly that does just go wide enough to catch the pinch points on my camaro and SS sedan. Available in 120v or 240v when i purchased a few years ago.

bendpak required air for lock release, i have a Foward 4 post lift (no air required) that came with casters to move around along with driptrays and i added on a rolling jack assembly that does just go wide enough to catch the pinch points on my camaro and SS sedan. Available in 120v or 240v when i purchased a few years ago.
i forgot about my casters lol. cool in theory but wonder if anyone ever moves these things afterwards. theyre up on a high shelf in storage since the lift was installed. how much did that one run you?

if I remember correctly was about 7kwith the rolling jack assembly and 240v pump but prices have went up quite a bit since i got it about 4 years ago. In the end of 2021 i contacted the dealer and was quoted 9350 without the jack assembly as i was considering a second one but did not end up buying. I used the casters once to move the lift closer to the door to be able to fit a car sideways in front of it, i had 2’ square concrete 12” deep poured in the four posts spots when the floor was poured which was over kill.

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpeg
    IMG_1807.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed