Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Feels a little slow

Grainofsand

Seasoned Member
I passed the 500 mile mark recently and I can now rev all the way. I don't know if it's the anticipation or the way that the powerband is set up, but the acceleration in my 4BW is UNDERWHELMING for sure.

When I bought the car, the 472 hp figure was one of the bigger factors that I weighed in on. But the car just doesn't feel like almost 500 hp. I would say that it feels closer to 400 hp.

Just wanted to share my experience.

If you want the 500hp feel, the M3 Auto is the car to get and it in Xdrive it's a real rocket.

Should be able to comment soon on the big differences when I get my hands on a 4BW after owning an AWD M4 last year + a 6MT M3 this year.

Last edited:
You're actually around 410 to the wheels, so your feeling of 400 is somewhat accurate

There’s a way to tell if it’s just a feeling or, if it’s actually down on horsepower due to a problem. Time it. It’s probably just a feeling as the car puts down the power without much of a fuss.

6MT has long gearing so it can feel slower. The A10 will feel(and is) quicker due to shorter gearing. And as already stated, the horsepower figures are not underrated like BMWs, and it puts down around 400 WHP. Power delivery isn't exactly a spectacle either. It just puts it on to the ground without theatrics.

If you want the 500hp feel, the M3 Auto is the car to get and it in Xdrive it's a real rocket.

Should be able to comment soon on the big differences when I get my hands on a 4BW after owning an AWD M4 last year + a 6MT M3 this year.
I owned a 6MT CT4-V Blackwing for 2000 miles, then a 2022 M4 xD Comp for 2000 miles, and ultimately landed on what I waited over a year for, the 6MT CT5-V Blackwing.

The AWD M4 is just stupid fast. I only launched it a few times in my ownership but came up around 3 seconds to 60. That easily handles my CT5-V BW. However, the supercharged V8 sure feels faster, and the gobs of torque on hand makes heavy acceleration much more exciting.

Both Blackwings are vastly superior handling wise. The 4 obviously comes up light on numbers against the others, but IMO it is still a very fast car. Stoplight racers can just get the AWD M products and be content. Blackwing offers drivers something very different.

I owned a 6MT CT4-V Blackwing for 2000 miles, then a 2022 M4 xD Comp for 2000 miles, and ultimately landed on what I waited over a year for, the 6MT CT5-V Blackwing.

The AWD M4 is just stupid fast. I only launched it a few times in my ownership but came up around 3 seconds to 60. That easily handles my CT5-V BW. However, the supercharged V8 sure feels faster, and the gobs of torque on hand makes heavy acceleration much more exciting.

Both Blackwings are vastly superior handling wise. The 4 obviously comes up light on numbers against the others, but IMO it is still a very fast car. Stoplight racers can just get the AWD M products and be content. Blackwing offers drivers something very different.

Yep Blackwings are right on top of the game where BMW were 20 years ago. Everyone I talk to who owned and tracked an E90 M3 say that they loved that car vs the newer M's. The last great ones that could be baught reasonably were the 2019 M3/4 CS and afterwards it's been all M for marketing. BMW is clearly capitalizing on the instagram crowd, 150k cad for an M3CS is just too much money. They inject just enaugh performance to beat the spec sheet race but when you try to use them to 9-10/10 the cheaping decision pop right up, single piston rear sliding calipers, drilled rotors, completely lifeless steering feel, cheap manual transmission are just some exemples.

Sorry for regurgitation this stuff, it took me some time to get it into my system that BMW wasn't for me anymore. Love our X5 though.

Yep Blackwings are right on top of the game where BMW were 20 years ago. Everyone I talk to who owned and tracked an E90 M3 say that they loved that car vs the newer M's. The last great ones that could be baught reasonably were the 2019 M3/4 CS and afterwards it's been all M for marketing. BMW is clearly capitalizing on the instagram crowd, 150k cad for an M3CS is just too much money. They inject just enaugh performance to beat the spec sheet race but when you try to use them to 9-10/10 the cheaping decision pop right up, single piston rear sliding calipers, drilled rotors, completely lifeless steering feel, cheap manual transmission are just some exemples.

Sorry for regurgitation this stuff, it took me some time to get it into my system that BMW wasn't for me anymore. Love our X5 though.
That second to last sentence hits home lol. Spent years yearning for an M3, but the G80s are so awful looking. You hit the nail on the head saying BMW is chasing the Instagram crowd now. All the new Ms are flashy and gaudy to an obnoxious degree. So I took my money to Mercedes and got a C63s coupe and after almost three years I just need a manual transmission again. And one that's good, not the afterthoughts on the M3 and M2.

It's sad that all people really care about in a performance car these days is its 0-60 times. If that's #1 on someone's list and they want to post photos of their car all over Instagram, go get an AWD M3 Comp. That way they, with an incredible lack of skill, they can just mash the gas pedal when the light turns green and feel pretty cool.

So hopefully my CT5 Blackwing is delivered on time in August and I can have a drivers car again. Cadillac has out BMW'd BMW at this point and the ultimate driving machine is no longer German.

Last edited:
I passed the 500 mile mark recently and I can now rev all the way. I don't know if it's the anticipation or the way that the powerband is set up, but the acceleration in my 4BW is UNDERWHELMING for sure.

When I bought the car, the 472 hp figure was one of the bigger factors that I weighed in on. But the car just doesn't feel like almost 500 hp. I would say that it feels closer to 400 hp.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Is this in any particular situation or just in general (ie in gear acceleration, 0-60, 60-130, specific speeds/gears) ?

In gear probably wouldn't seem too different post break in since you're already getting max torque in that 3-4k range. Overall acceleration given availability of NLS should be a nice welcome and new sensation/experience post break in that makes for greater perceived acceleration thru the gears.

That second to last sentence hits home lol. Spent years yearning for an M3, but the G80s are so awful looking. You hit the nail on the head saying BMW is chasing the Instagram crowd now. All the new Ms are flashy and gaudy to an obnoxious degree. So I took my money to Mercedes and got a C63s coupe and after almost three years I just need a manual transmission again. And one that's good, not the afterthoughts on the M3 and M2.

It's sad that all people really care about in a performance car these days is its 0-60 times. If that's #1 on someone's list and they want to post photos of their car all over Instagram, go get an AWD M3 Comp. That way they, with an incredible lack of skill, they can just mash the gas pedal when the light turns green and feel pretty cool.

So hopefully my CT5 Blackwing is delivered on time in August and I can have a drivers car again. Cadillac has out BMW'd BMW at this point and the ultimate driving machine is no longer German.
Just sit in the cars, shut the doors get out and inspect the grilles? If you think BMW is where it's at well once again a sucker born every minute. But GM uses cheap plastic in interior? That's all the BMW crowd has been saying and paying out their arses for it.

Just sit in the cars, shut the doors get out and inspect the grilles? If you think BMW is where it's at well once again a sucker born every minute. But GM uses cheap plastic in interior? That's all the BMW crowd has been saying and paying out their arses for it for years, years...

Well it’s heavier than the ATS V was. So I feel your pain. It needed 500 plus HP.

We're here to help. :)

Here's the proof, even if the driver of the 4BW may not be good at shifting. It doesn't help that, as most car people know, the German racing variants are severely under-rated.

I'd still take the 4BW though. Always.

Here's the proof, even if the driver of the 4BW may not be good at shifting. It doesn't help that, as most car people know, the German racing variants are severely under-rated.

I'd still take the 4BW though. Always.
That's not proof. Thats proof the M3 is underrated and makes about 60whp more while the BlackWing makes what it's claimed to make.

I have a pretty accurate butt Dyno and these cars are well insulated and feel like low 400whp cars.

I spent the money and Dyno verified the 418whp and 435w-tq, meaning it makes the power it's advertised to.

In terms of it feeling a little slow, it's all in your expectations and what you are used to.

But bringing an M3 into it is another issue all together. Forced induction BMWs have been notoriously underrated since the N54 in '07 would Dyno damn near its crank rating at the wheels.

People have gotten used to that, jaded by it.

GM rates the LF4 as SAE certified. It makes what they say it does. But that means a 472hp LF4 does 400-420whp while an S58 rated at 473hp dyno's 465-500whp depending on base/comp etc. That's a substantial difference.

In addition to what others have mentioned, the engine is new, tolerances are still tight and you can expect the engine to open up a bit more once you put 15k+ mi on it.

The 4BW is a more buttoned down track weapon, it's surgical so it's not going feel as beastly as some would expect. The other part is this is a Cadillac, and luxury amenities are baked in to keep the car refinded with noise cancelling and sound deadening.

As for modern BMWs, they are oversaturated with fake induction noise so while it may seem significantly faster it isn't, it's just louder inside. The BW may have fake noise but it's nowhere near as obnoxious inside.

This is the reality of modern performance cars. Simply put, the performance is beyond most consumers limits and the isolation from the driver experience is par for the course. The BW4 is faster then it feels, esp on track. I say get some track time in and you'll feel differently about it. Roll the windows down and turn off all the TC and see if that gives you a rush.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back