Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V engine surge / "porpoising"

CT5-V Model
I noticed my rear view vibrates quite a lot, too. I only notice it when using "real" mirror mode.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the PDR will overwrite. Once it fills up, assuming you have it on automatic recording, it will just tell you the card is full. Surround view will overwrite the oldest video. With a 128GB card, it's still a ton of video.
I see an overwrite feature under settings for pdr

Took it out this morning but before leaving the garage I let it idle/warm up for about a min or so...I did not feel the hesitation today. Do you guys typically wait for warm up before driving away? I usually let the idle settle after emissions ramp up which typically takes 30 to 34 seconds. Don't want to sit idling too long though.
I usually just I start it up and drive away. Sometimes I'm messing with music or navigation and it might be 30 seconds or so. Still haven't noticed the issue either way.

Took it out this morning but before leaving the garage I let it idle/warm up for about a min or so...I did not feel the hesitation today. Do you guys typically wait for warm up before driving away? I usually let the idle settle after emissions ramp up which typically takes 30 to 34 seconds. Don't want to sit idling too long though.
Remote start, a minute or so till i get there and drive. Not an issue?

The engine can take light loads until fully warmed up. Sitting at idle does nothing to warm up the rest of the drivetrain. If you sit for 5 minutes at idle you've done nothing but waste your time and give yourself a false sense of being able to romp on the transmission and rear end and tires.

The engine can take light loads until fully warmed up. Sitting at idle does nothing to warm up the rest of the drivetrain. If you sit for 5 minutes at idle you've done nothing but waste your time and give yourself a false sense of being able to romp on the transmission and rear end and tires.
Yeah not talking about romping on it 😀...it looks like for me if the temp is close to 100 when I start driving the hesitation is less or it goes away. There is something going though

I am super frustrated about my engine hesitation thing and not sure what to do now. Two main issues are engine hesitation and car pulling to the right (which dealer claimed they fixed but it's still there). I tried everything as mentioned above...idling, letting it warm up etc but it's still happening (it's not all the time but when it happens it's quite bad). I know it's difficult when there is no CEL but this is a real problem. I left the car with the dealer for a week and they could not replicate (even though they said they felt it once). I don't want to leave it there for an extended time (actually thought of going to an LT4 expert but they wouldn't touch a new car). I might try another dealership but I am not sure now...

I also received a quality survey about the car...gave it a sparkling review of course but I did mention the engine hesitation issue....hope someone reaches back out.

Last edited:
I am super frustrated about my engine hesitation thing and not sure what to do now. Two main issues are engine hesitation and car pulling to the right (which dealer claimed they fixed but it's still there). I tried everything as mentioned above...idling, letting it warm up etc but it's still happening (it's not all the time but when it happens it's quite bad). I know it's difficult when there is no CEL but this is a real problem. I left the car with the dealer for a week and they could not replicate (even though they said they felt it once). I don't want to leave it there for an extended time (actually thought of going to an LT4 expert but they wouldn't touch a new car). I might try another dealership but I am not sure now...

I also received a quality survey about the car...gave it a sparkling review of course but I did mention the engine hesitation issue....hope someone reaches back out.
Find a big Chevy dealer that works on a lot of new Corvettes. They can basically do anything (including warranty work) that the Cadillac dealer can do. Find "the Corvette tech" and try to book something with them. Corvette owners are next level "don't put a fingerprint on my car" owners and if you find a dealer that deals with a lot of those types, you may be in luck.

If you have your PDR on all the time, it's got loads of data touchpoint viewable via the Cosworth Toolbox. When it happens next just yell out - Banana Hammock! - to mark the time on the video and then can go back and check the data.
Also I am not sure what is captured on the ECU and for how long it's kept. But if it can provide data for X mins either side of the hesitation happening, someone should be able to look into it by lining up the PDR data to the corresponding time in the ECU logs.

IF the problem is the same as mine, (intermittent, sporadic engine surging causing the car to "porpoise" then tell them to speak to cadillac technical support and open a technical assistance case. the engineers will tell them what to do witout demonstrating the problem. for my repair, as listed in the beginning of this thread, the repair servicing dealer never did a test drive before doing the repair.
If your problem is not the same as mine, but rather just a hesitation on acceleration, maybe you should see if you can make a small drive in another blackwing? who knows, maybe your problem is just a characteristic of this engine? it is not the smoothest engine? not trying to dismiss your concerns.
for the brake problem, on my previous V, one of the brake pads was sticking, so one front caliper was only using one brake pad. this made it seem like braking was more on one side than the other. the pads can sightly rust and stick to the caliper body rarely

IF the problem is the same as mine, (intermittent, sporadic engine surging causing the car to "porpoise" then tell them to speak to cadillac technical support and open a technical assistance case. the engineers will tell them what to do witout demonstrating the problem. for my repair, as listed in the beginning of this thread, the repair servicing dealer never did a test drive before doing the repair.
If your problem is not the same as mine, but rather just a hesitation on acceleration, maybe you should see if you can make a small drive in another blackwing? who knows, maybe your problem is just a characteristic of this engine? it is not the smoothest engine? not trying to dismiss your concerns.
for the brake problem, on my previous V, one of the brake pads was sticking, so one front caliper was only using one brake pad. this made it seem like braking was more on one side than the other. the pads can sightly rust and stick to the caliper body rarely
Yeah it's intermittent porpoising/surging not hesitation on acceleration

See if ozzy still works at Robert Chevy. Big corvette tech.

Yeah it's intermittent porpoising/surging not hesitation on acceleration
Reminds me of a bad MAF sensor or dirty throttle body

Today we had really low temps ...this is the first time I saw the limited redline on start up....53 F outside, redline was restricted to 5K till the car warmed up a bit.

Today we had really low temps ...this is the first time I saw the limited redline on start up....53 F outside, redline was restricted to 5K till the car warmed up a bit.
Same. The cooling might be too good on this car. Took over 4 miles on the highway to get up to 180°F. In the winter, for the vast majority of my driving, I might never get up to temp.

Just as an update...I took the car to my indy to fix the steering wheel off center issue and alignment which the dealer could not fix after two visits ☹️. The car is now aligned and the steering wheel is centered. With the engine porpoising issue it is intermittent...I start the car and idle it for a reasonable time until temps get up to the high 90s and low 100s. I notice that if I keep the rpms above 3k I don't have the issue. it only seems to happen in the 1.5k to 2.5k range when the engine is coming up to 180 deg F. If it keeps happening I may just have to take it back to my indy to diagnose. There is no CEL getting triggered though.

my problem has been the same as you describe it. it still happens once in a great while, even after the dealer fix.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back