Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Emissions Sticker example needed for California registered cars

Neveready

Seasoned Member
I'm considering buying a vehicle out for state and I'm concerned about the emissions passing in California. This topic has been brought up before. Another member stated as long as the emissions sticker under the hood says something about CARB or California it can be successfully smogged and registered in CA.

For example, here is what a sticker looks like from a vehicle in TX. Seems like it would be CARB ready but I wanted someone who's got a Ct5v Blackwing registered in California or another state to post a photo or verify that's what their sticker looks like and what state they are from? Also if their sticker looks like this one are they aware if their build sheet has YF5 California emissions?

Thank you

1000014628.jpg

I went through the exact same thing. Ended up ordering out of state with CA emissions. bc I was too scared. Here is my sticker. As far as I can tell they are the same. I even talked to the ref about it when I got it smogged though he wasn’t very helpful 😭

Attachments

• image000001.jpeg
    image000001.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 46
I went through the exact same thing. Ended up ordering out of state with CA emissions. bc I was too scared. Here is my sticker. As far as I can tell they are the same. I even talked to the ref about it when I got it smogged though he wasn’t very helpful 😭
Excellent! Thank you. You confirmed this for me, I took a look at your build on the registry and it has the Code NUF- EMISSION SYSTEM CALIFORNIA which I found another car that has that emssions code on the build. The photo I attached above from TX does not have NUF- code, only the FE9 50 STATE EMISSIONS code. I am not confident the FE9 code is sufficient for CARB, but I'm like 90% sure it is given it says under conforms to regulations "California Class/Stds-ULEV125".

These stickers all look the same but then again, I wouldn't want to spend 100k on a car to find out I can't register it in state. I guess worst case I register it in Montana for a few years till i can legally register it in CA, but I hear that's difficult or problematic for a daily driver.

I assume you shipped yours, what was the process? Did you go to pass smog then go to the DMV for registration and when did you pay taxes?

Last edited:
1696723126407.png

Sold new in CA. Looks identical to the one from Texas to me.

The Obama administration abandoned the EPA's emissions regulations and adopted CA emissions for all federally certified vehicles. During the Trump administration, they tried to return federal emissions to the prior separate standard, and although the media made a huge deal about how they sky was falling with the change, I am fairly certain they never got the separate standard actually resumed.

100% the emissions are the same on vehicles sold in CA and elsewhere, but whether the state of CA will deny your registration for lack of the proper sticker is an entirely different question (although it appears all labels read the same based on these images). GM does have an RPO to order CA emissions on vehicles shipped to other states, but that must be a legacy code / still in the system in case the feds ever revert to the separate standard.

Yup I had MT as a backup plan but I’ve always been worried about that as well. Heard mixed stories about some people getting caught and not I try eta…plus the insurance issues.

I just used one of the online shopping brokers. Was pretty worried but it turned out fine.

You’ll have to smog it, fail, then go to the ref for an exemption, the the DMV. All pretty painless though takes some time.

Fwiw on a 5BW Cali and fed cars have the exact same part number cats. I was unable to find any parts specific to cali emissions. I honestly think it’s just a fee gm is forced to pay.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back