Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

eLSD

ShiftToSixth

I noticed my eLSD, even at a stop, not moving, was at 3% today. It never went below that percentage.

Anyone have similar results while at a stop?

Yes.

I have also asked what that number represents, but it still does not seem to correlate to anything in the real world. Mine is usually 17% - or something similar - in 2nd gear going straight. Upon shifting to 3rd gear it instantly drops. It seems to be derived rather than actually measuring something live in the axle.

My 5BW is at 3% at a stop, but never gave it much thought, 3% is close enough to zero for me. Maybe the 3% is just to let the user know that the system is working? Maybe it never really behaves like a true open diff?

Agreed - does not make sense.

My 5BW is at 3% at a stop, but never gave it much thought, 3% is close enough to zero for me. Maybe the 3% is just to let the user know that the system is working? Maybe it never really behaves like a true open diff?
That is my assumption (it never goes fully open). The percentage is only a measure of open vs closed so it doesn't seem wrong to show 3% even if the car is not moving/not in gear.

Thanks everyone for the responses. So long as others are getting the same 3% reading at a full stop, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Apparently, the manual is the last place to look, LOL!

Page 120:

For the V-Blackwing models, the eLSD
maintains some coupling even if the
vehicle is stationary or not
accelerating. Coupling values of 3%

and up are typical.

Very offbeat explanation but think of it like this. Have you ever ridden a bicycle and tried to change gears while you were coming to a stop? The bicycle may not have had enough rotations to finish switching gears. It's sort of a similar physical limitation here. Because the part is engineered to provide lock when you "need it" aka while the car is in motion, by the time you are coming to a stop it may not have enough momentum to physically disengage fully. Let's pretend they engineered it to unlock fully as you were coming to a stop but at the last minute requested power, but now the diff was fully open, you as the owner might complain of a 1-tire fire situation and perceive the diff as "broken" or "not engaging properly" when you need it.

That is my assumption (it never goes fully open). The percentage is only a measure of open vs closed so it doesn't seem wrong to show 3% even if the car is not moving/not in gear.
This. It's an electronic "limited" slip differential and not an open diff. Going purely off the semantics i'd assume the same as above that it never de-couples completely. I'm sure engineering an open to limited to closed electronically controlled diff would be a nightmare.

Apparently, the manual is the last place to look, LOL!

Page 120:

For the V-Blackwing models, the eLSD
maintains some coupling even if the
vehicle is stationary or not
accelerating. Coupling values of 3%

and up are typical.
Good call lol. I should have checked there first. Thanks

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed