Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Driving Impressions

BigDon

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5 V Blackwing
Hello all,

We have plenty of threads regarding orders, frustration, delivery, technical issues, etc. What we don't have enough of here is actual driving impressions of these cars (other than media reviews). It'd be great to hear from those who have taken delivery the impressions of daily driving these vehicles. Real world feedback on engine, responsiveness, transmission, steering, braking, interior sounds, functionality, etc. Observations of what it's like to commute in daily traffic, driving on open roads, spirited canyon carving, etc. This would be a great way to get even more excited for those of us waiting on delivery, build, or even allocations.

Thanks,
Big Don

Going from daily driving my V3 to the 5BW, I have decided to keep my wife's Jeep for myself for the bad weather days and busy travel work days. I have found this car is to be more of a sports car than a daily driver. That said, it can very well be a daily driver for sure, the timing just worked out that my wife needed a new car and keeping the Jeep as a third car was worth more to me then selling.

This car is definitely more race ordinated than the V3, which was more of a sedan with a ton of power. Since getting the car a few months ago, the weather in northern CA turned cold and rainy. I haven't had enough opportunities to play with Launch Control and such. I am doing the driving academy in March which will hopefully get me more comfortable with the car as my options are limited right now to do so.

Much like the V3, my favorite part of the car is the engine and how the exhaust sounds. I always remote start. What's amazing to me with this car is the different exhaust notes it has. The more you push the gas the different the exhaust notes are.

I "daily drive" (whatever that even means with remote work) my 5BW. Vs the Chevy SS it replaced, the SS was a better daily driver.
That said, the 5BW is totally liveable. The one serious complaint I have about daily driving it is that the gas tank is too small. 17 gallons is tiny for something with this fuel economy.

Engine, responsiveness, transmission, steering, braking, and interior sounds are all fantastic. I'll get back to functionally...

The engine is what it is. A supercharged V8. That is a hard combination to beat. There is power everywhere, all the time, it is fantastic. Unlike the SS though, that power will easily overcome the traction control. I've accidentally broke the tires free a few times pulling in to traffic in the wet. Gotta have a light touch.

Even in traffic, thanks to the massive torque, 3rd gear is good for everything but the worst stop and go. This is the easiest to drive manual I've had since my '79 F-250 with its granny gear, and the most satisfying by far. No lift shift is freaking fantastic.

Steering is interesting. Its tied to the drive mode and there is a tangible difference in feel between each setting. I find the middle setting the best overall. It's maybe just a tiny bit too heavy, but tour mode is a bit too boosted.

I primarily commute via back roads. A handful of twisties and a few opportunities to get on it. It is a pleasure to drive, and like Blackwing61 states, the sounds are incredible. The last 2k RPMs under full throttle is something that must be experienced.

Functionality is where the CT5 falls a bit flat. This isn't a frustrations thread though so I'll keep it short. It simply is a smaller car, and some of the (functional) challenges that come with it. It will not be replacing my wife's XT5 as our road trip vehicle of choice.

Last edited:
Besf car I’ve ever owned. And I’ve owned V1, STS-V, V2, V3, C7 Z06, and Jeep Trackhawk before the Blackwing. I think it’s an amazing DD. Everything just works. No creaks or cheap bits. The engine and manual are the best combo I have owned, power on demand in any gear where the previous cars would just bog in higher gears and require a downshift. Steering and braking are precise and excellent. Easily the best GM car ever.

Overall, I am very happy with the car.
-The fit, finish and build quality is nice. Not quite up to the Germans, but close. I have zero creaks, moans or rattles.
-Seats are comfortable, adjustable and materials are nice. Very good for car at the $100k price point.
-The matte paint is excellent, well worth the upcharge and a unique color. Carbon fiber components are beautiful. I have Carbon 1 on the car.
-Transmission is superb. Easy to shift, clutch engagement is spot on, no lift shifting is sic.
-Engine, no comment needed. Love the sound, massive torque.. gas guzzling machine
-Fun to drive is WAY up there. Nice car to cruise to work in, a blast to rip on the way home. My commute is 37 miles each way in Phoenix traffic. My favorite car to drive to work in. My Mclaren 720 is faster, but the BW is comfortable and the fun factor is off the charts. Ride quality is excellent.
-Negatives - Gas tank is way too small. You have to learn to drive the car. It has SO much torque that managing traction control is important. If the tires are cold, you can spin them in three gears if not careful. I have not got deep into the custom program of the V functions, will have to comment at a later time.
-

Overall, I am very happy with the car.
-The fit, finish and build quality is nice. Not quite up to the Germans, but close. I have zero creaks, moans or rattles.

I guess it depends what you mean by build quality. I've always been intrigued by the generally accepted notion that "the Germans" have better build quality. I've not seen it. While I've driven a lot of the German brands (all the major ones anyway), the only one I've owned is BMW, so maybe my view is skewed.

My BMW was a blast to drive, huge fun. Fit like a glove, handled great, lots of power, wonderful controls (yeah, I loved the turn signals back in the day), great interior design (I loved the simple orange dash lighting--extremely easy on the eyes).

But it did *not* have good build quality, at least the way I define it. You never knew what was going to break next, when that check engine light would light up next. Cheap plastic parts, light bulbs failing within 25,000 miles, repeated brake lamp failures, rear brake sensor failing while driving down the highway, etc. Maybe my experience was worse than average but I know I wasn't alone.

That's not to say that they're any worse than the Americans, we all know the history there. But let's not put the Germans too high up on a pedestal. When I was thinking about my next car I didn't even consider a German brand. Most don't offer manual transmissions and a BMW is, to me, a disposable car. When I hear "build quality" I think "Japan."

I guess it depends what you mean by build quality. I've always been intrigued by the generally accepted notion that "the Germans" have better build quality. I've not seen it. While I've driven a lot of the German brands (all the major ones anyway), the only one I've owned is BMW, so maybe my view is skewed.

My BMW was a blast to drive, huge fun. Fit like a glove, handled great, lots of power, wonderful controls (yeah, I loved the turn signals back in the day), great interior design (I loved the simple orange dash lighting--extremely easy on the eyes).

But it did *not* have good build quality, at least the way I define it. You never knew what was going to break next, when that check engine light would light up next. Cheap plastic parts, light bulbs failing within 25,000 miles, repeated brake lamp failures, rear brake sensor failing while driving down the highway, etc. Maybe my experience was worse than average but I know I wasn't alone.

That's not to say that they're any worse than the Americans, we all know the history there. But let's not put the Germans too high up on a pedestal. When I was thinking about my next car I didn't even consider a German brand. Most don't offer manual transmissions and a BMW is, to me, a disposable car. When I hear "build quality" I think "Japan."
My experience is with a 2014 Mercedes E350 and 2015 BMW 550I. I would only say the German interior quality is nicer than GM. But Cadi stepped it up big time on this interior, can't say its better than German but it is pretty close. I found the BMW seats to be very uncomfortable.

The suspension and drive on the Cadi's is WAY better, IMO.

Hello all,

We have plenty of threads regarding orders, frustration, delivery, technical issues, etc. What we don't have enough of here is actual driving impressions of these cars (other than media reviews). It'd be great to hear from those who have taken delivery the impressions of daily driving these vehicles. Real world feedback on engine, responsiveness, transmission, steering, braking, interior sounds, functionality, etc. Observations of what it's like to commute in daily traffic, driving on open roads, spirited canyon carving, etc. This would be a great way to get even more excited for those of us waiting on delivery, build, or even allocations.

Thanks,
Big Don

The 4BW is a great daily driver. The manual transmission is absolute joy with it's smoothness and easily tracked gears. For issues in traffic, first readily grabs without throttle to close short distances, and second and third give you great range to navigate the annoying nuances of any interstate (my commutes consist of either I95 around DC or I64/I65 around KY)

Credible issue was mentioned about the gas tank, but what can you do. I guess it's a decent size but expect frequent fill-ups. Those who have no rattles are lucky, speakers on my passenger side are terrible and rattle like being shaken by a baby.

One of the things not yet mentioned are the brakes... they are phenomenal in my opinion. When you get annoyed enough with the traffic and you forget where you are but remember what you're driving, they really assist with bringing you back to reality after your short rebellious period.

This thing lives for the back roads. Haven't tracked mine yet, but there's a curve near the house that I've taken the g-reader to .96 at @ 65mph - feel like there was still more in there to give.

The German quality edge is reputation driven over many decades more so than fact. I’m not saying it’s not a fact, but it would take many years of head to head wins on quality before the reputation would change.

On the flip side, Tesla (an American company) established a reputation in electric cars that dominated the Germans, even though the offerings from Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi are probably superior vehicles. The Germans cannot find their reputational footing in plug-ins no matter what they throw at the market.

The German quality edge is reputation driven over many decades more so than fact. I’m not saying it’s not a fact, but it would take many years of head to head wins on quality before the reputation would change.

On the flip side, Tesla (an American company) established a reputation in electric cars that dominated the Germans, even though the offerings from Porsche, Mercedes, and Audi are probably superior vehicles. The Germans cannot find their reputational footing in plug-ins no matter what they throw at the market.
I have this speech/rant/TedTalk that I tell people of product vs perception. The product can be amazing but the perception lags years if not decades behind.

I realize we're going off-topic here, but my impression of "build quality" having owned primarily Hondas and BMWs (CT5-V BW will be my first American car).

German cars "feel nicer", partly because they tend to be more expensive. The door slam is solid, the materials look and feel higher-end, parts operate in a refined manner.

However, when it comes to durability, the German cars are a lot more disposable and high-maintenance. Even if you ignore the various mechanical issues and focus just on the interior parts you touch and see, on my Euro cars I've had to replace switches that stopped physically functioning (iDrive and headlight switch on my 2011 M3 for instance), auto-dim mirrors that leaked fluid (twice), burnt-out screen pixels, buttons with the markings worn off, ripped leatherette seats. These aren't state of the art new technologies, just plain old stuff. All well under 100k miles.

Compare to the much cheaper Honda/Acura products I've owned of similar age, which were basically a set of new floormats away from looking and feeling brand new inside. But which may have a lighter/more hollow door slam, plastic instead of metal door handles and leather which doesn't feel real, although that has a lot to do with a lower price as well.

So in terms of "build quality", I think it comes down to if you're leasing (Euro) or buying to keep (not Euro).

When I compare to the German makes, MB, Porsche, Audi, I am comparing their high line vehicles, AMG S, AMG CLS, Porsche 911GT3, Cayenne Turbo, Audi R and RS versions. I have owned several and my opinion is based on my experience with the product. Their choice of materials, gaps, stitching and feel is awesome. Exterior, the vehicles have exceptional panel fitment, paint is usually excellent. The downside, all these comparisons are cars that cost 50% more, minimum, than the BW. This is my first Cadillac. I have to say I am very pleased with the overall package. I think they did a great job. I can't think of another 4 door sedan under $100K that I would rather have.

I realize we're going off-topic here, but my impression of "build quality" having owned primarily Hondas and BMWs (CT5-V BW will be my first American car).

German cars "feel nicer", partly because they tend to be more expensive. The door slam is solid, the materials look and feel higher-end, parts operate in a refined manner.

However, when it comes to durability, the German cars are a lot more disposable and high-maintenance. Even if you ignore the various mechanical issues and focus just on the interior parts you touch and see, on my Euro cars I've had to replace switches that stopped physically functioning (iDrive and headlight switch on my 2011 M3 for instance), auto-dim mirrors that leaked fluid (twice), burnt-out screen pixels, buttons with the markings worn off, ripped leatherette seats. These aren't state of the art new technologies, just plain old stuff. All well under 100k miles.

Compare to the much cheaper Honda/Acura products I've owned of similar age, which were basically a set of new floormats away from looking and feeling brand new inside. But which may have a lighter/more hollow door slam, plastic instead of metal door handles and leather which doesn't feel real, although that has a lot to do with a lower price as well.

So in terms of "build quality", I think it comes down to if you're leasing (Euro) or buying to keep (not Euro).
This is exactly my experience as well. My wife's DD is a 2019 BMW, currently with 11k miles. It has fantastic technology...carbon fiber and aluminum monocoque, composite body panels, sustainable interior materials, great fit and finish, drives great, etc. It has also during its short life spent over 6 weeks at the dealer for various issues that rendered it undrivable, all within the first 5k miles. My 2005 Honda, however, has only needed regular maintenance, some minor repairs, and has never broken down once. Same with my 2019 Genesis. The plural of anecdote is not data, but when anecdotes line up with data, it makes you feel less crazy.

Last edited:
One of my other cars. 30 years old. No quality issues, reliable as nails.
Made in Japan.
1642804691338.jpeg

One of my good budies has an red SW20, same wheels, but a 3.0L Camry V6 swap. I have driven it a few times, makes GREAT noises.
My mildly modified stocK 3SGTE (tune and upgraded turbocharger) sounds great, too. Doesn’t rev as high as a Japanese sport bike but makes the same kind of sound.
Not sure if that has to do with the engine block coming from Yamaha - maybe.

I have a Volvo with the Yamaha V8. It sounds like there are marbles in the block haha.

I have a Volvo with the Yamaha V8. It sounds like there are marbles in the block haha.
Maybe it helps that the 3SGTE is a turbocharged 4, more in line with Yamaha’s bike engines?
Also, it was head of its time, I think, as one of the first high power 2.0 litre turbo 4s, though a little laggy compared to the countless 2.0 turbo 4s available now.

Well I havent driven my Ct4-v Blackwing for a few months and am seriously hurting now. I came back from spring mountain 12/23/21 and cant tell you how much fun I had. Spent two days chasing CT5-V blackwings, what a workout.

I miss my car. Sat in it last night and watched some videos, pictures from our development rides etc. The agility of the CT4-V Blackwing, the bi modal nature in touring and all out track mode with my V mode settings is so special. I love the size, its perfect and The steering is pure joy. No matter where I point the car it just makes it. I dive into corners thinking thats it, it will not stop and turn and it laughs back and shows me there is more. The manual I have no words for, and I love the LF4. My garage is full of small blocks and am glad I have the LF4, I love the turbos, love the exhaust on this car now too. On tracks around here engine and driveline temps are bullet proof. But my favorite about the car is the balance, even when it slides out its so controlable with the steering wheel or throttle, it so much fun to toss around the track even with all stability off. Love that.

I remeber driving a prototype in the mountains of Cali with the team, it stole my heart and at one point going down into a valley I called my wife and said "We, need one. NEED one!"

I have driven these cars for 3-4 years now and every time I step in one, 4 or 5, it blows my mind. Below shot of Spring mountain. I cant wait for April.

Attachments

• 2F95F36D-0D21-4BB9-BF94-1FFD6FCD6289.jpeg
    2F95F36D-0D21-4BB9-BF94-1FFD6FCD6289.jpeg
    11 MB · Views: 144
  • C1CB6AE9-5A34-41DA-8ECE-6A7FE7629E61.jpeg
    C1CB6AE9-5A34-41DA-8ECE-6A7FE7629E61.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
Well I havent driven my Ct4-v Blackwing for a few months and am seriously hurting now. I came back from spring mountain 12/23/21 and cant tell you how much fun I had. Spent two days chasing CT5-V blackwings, what a workout.

I miss my car. Sat in it last night and watched some videos, pictures from our development rides etc. The agility of the CT4-V Blackwing, the bi modal nature in touring and all out track mode with my V mode settings is so special. I love the size, its perfect and The steering is pure joy. No matter where I point the car it just makes it. I dive into corners thinking thats it, it will not stop and turn and it laughs back and shows me there is more. The manual I have no words for, and I love the LF4. My garage is full of small blocks and am glad I have the LF4, I love the turbos, love the exhaust on this car now too. On tracks around here engine and driveline temps are bullet proof. But my favorite about the car is the balance, even when it slides out its so controlable with the steering wheel or throttle, it so much fun to toss around the track even with all stability off. Love that.

I remeber driving a prototype in the mountains of Cali with the team, it stole my heart and at one point going down into a valley I called my wife and said "We, need one. NEED one!"

I have driven these cars for 3-4 years now and every time I step in one, 4 or 5, it blows my mind. Below shot of Spring mountain. I cant wait for April.
I've been driving my Lexus IS-F for the past 8 years or so now, and I absolutely adore it. Back in 2018, Cadillac had one of their driving experience events in my area and I got to drive the ATS-V around a short autocross-like course and the CTS-V for a short acceleration run. I was extremely impressed with the ATS-V. My IS-F has great handling, but the ATS-V was head and shoulders above it. It was as if it had supernatural levels of grip and the balance was superb. I had two gripes with the car, though:

1) The engine note was...uninspiring, especially compared to the IS-F, which is *chef's kiss*.
2) I could not get over the interior of that car- it felt more Cruze than Cadillac.

Driving the CTS-V was awesome. Obviously couldn't get a feel for the handling just driving in a straight line, but the acceleration was intense. Made me light-headed. The engine note and interior were definitely up to par.

When Cadillac announced the new Blackwings and announced they were going to be the end of the line, I decided to support the cause and now have a CT5-V Blackwing on order.

Mirza, if you know who runs those driving experience events at Cadillac, please let them know that they were absolutely worth it as they worked to pull me into the family (assuming I ever get the car lol).

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back