Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Door Alignment - Adjustable?

white98ls

Seasoned Member
Just noticed my doors don't align well at all. Some pretty Tesla-esque quality here, and a bit embarrassing now that I see it.

Is this something the dealer can adjust? Also, is anyone else's center steering wheel stripe also kind of not straight? Bugs me when it's starting me straight in the face.
20230316_084226.jpg
20230316_084240.jpg
20230316_084318.jpg

Yes to both alignment issues for me as well.

My passenger side door does not align. I brought it in to have it resolved and they convinced me not to do it. Said it would be a nightmare to fix the alignment on the door.

As for the steering wheel...also not aligned. Even had the airbag fixed this past week and they put it back on and its still in the same mis-alignment. It doesnt bother me enough to keep bringing it to them to fix.

My steering wheel is the same too. Pretty irksome.

The steering is electronic, right? Is there any procedure to align just the wheel?

The doors are off on mine too. Kinda ridiculous as one side is much worse than the other

Par for the course for GM. If it helps, know that you're not alone. I think we all have the same problems to some degree.

Whoever reads this thread, be aware that if you look closely enough you WILL find all sorts of imperfections on your car. GM just doesn't give a shit about body panel & door alignment. Or paint quality, but that's a different thread.

On my car my hood was misaligned such that it touched metal at the right rear corner when opened. That was adjusted by the dealer. Being picky, my trunk is very slightly misaligned if I look really closely, slightly larger gaps on one side than another. Right rear door is not perfectly aligned, but not so bad that it's a problem--just something that you can see if you look closely and especially if you run your finger along the gaps and feel the difference. Nothing that stands out if you're not looking for it, and not enough to make me want to mess with it. The car works, these are very minor cosmetic issues.

I think my steering wheel is aligned well, but every time I read a thread like this I need to resist the urge to measure it precisely. :)

Unfortunately, even though I'm okay living with these minor imperfections, it does give me pause. This should be a halo car, something that makes you think, hmm, if GM can build a car this good then maybe I should consider another GM vehicle. Sorry to say, it doesn't. Oh well.

I *love* driving the car, it's an absolute joy. I just try not to look at it too closely.

Yep I have the same door misalignment issue on both my front doors. Driver side being worse. Trunk is also misaligned where I think it’s causing it not to latch unless I slam it. The paint is not good. I also agree for a car this expensive, it’s laughable how bad the exterior quality is. This is my 2nd and potentially last one. First one was my 86 la Sabre as my first car.

My paint is very good. A couple of tiny spots. Panel fit is very good. Drivers door very, very slightly off. Guess it was worth buying this one with RPO R7V (show car). I think it was more carefully put together.

This forum has caused dozens of trips to the garage to check my 5BW. Panel/door alignment is spot on and the red stripe is a consistent width (I assume that is what you mean vs. some sort of alignment issue). I don't have alcantara though, base material on the wheel.

My body panels are fine but my steering wheel red stripe is also off. They even replaced the wheel once, closer to center now but my ocd is still slightly irked... mine is leather btw.

My door vertical alignment is perfect, but both sides it seems like they don't shut far enough. They latch and function ok, but if you look at it from the rear or above you can see the trailing edges of the front door stick out a bit further than the leading edges of the rear door. It's hard to get a picture of. Anyone else have that?

P_20230129_132716.jpg

Yes to both alignment issues for me as well.

My passenger side door does not align. I brought it in to have it resolved and they convinced me not to do it. Said it would be a nightmare to fix the alignment on the door.

As for the steering wheel...also not aligned. Even had the airbag fixed this past week and they put it back on and its still in the same mis-alignment. It doesnt bother me enough to keep bringing it to them to fix.
Respectfully, I can't understand why? Here a few pics of when my car had seam alignment issues when delivered and I took it up with the dealer and it did get resolved same day while I was there with the car, IMPORTANTLY NO damage to the factory door jam paint, alignment bolts etc.... Looks like factory set seams aligned properly now as they should be....Does yours look similar to this mess? If so, can be done CORRECTLY. Not getting what they are saying to you? Hmmm.

Attachments

• Main door.jpg
    Main door.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Seams 4.jpg
    Seams 4.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Rear door..jpg
    Rear door..jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 107
The last place I would take my BW to for door alignment is the dealer.
That could be the case for the most part, I did get good results with mine at the dealer. Had no choice, the OCD over here wasn't gonna let it go and I sure as heck wasn't going to correct it myself! LOL! It thankfully, worked out for me.

My 4 was fairly brutal, and of course on the driver's side where I saw it every time I got in. Paint had some thin areas. My 5 is perfect on the exterior, nothing I would change. My steering wheel is properly centered, but the red stripe angles a bit from dead square. Honestly, I wish the wheel were all black as the red strip is a bit gimmicky to me.

20220522_134705 - Copy.jpg

I owned a 2022 M4 that was so damn perfect cosmetically. Everything properly aligned, all the high quality materials. But to drive it - sure, blistering fast in a straight line - but so blah otherwise. I smile every time I drive my 5 Blackwing 6MT. I don't recall the BMW driving experience ever making me smile. Just comes down to what you want. My car is an extra and is for driving enjoyment, so the Blackwing is perfect. But for those who want more of a luxury product and don't mind giving up driving feel, lots of other options out there.

20220910_091632.jpg

My 5BW is also RPO R7V and everything is in pretty good shape. Almost as good as my 19 AMG that I had previously. One thing I do know is that my car moved very quickly from production to shipping and the paint is very good for an American car.

My RR door was slightly off as it met the RF door. I did not see any adjustment possibility with the hinge mountings (like older cars used to have). I removed the lower hinge and was able to make enough alteration to one of the mounting holes to correct it. I did a lot of looking at all gaps before I did anything. The driver's side doors looked fine and used the gaps there for comparison purposes. Gaps on the whole car are not exactly true, but good enough. I had to correct the RR door to keep myself sane, though. :)
Paint on my car is actually pretty good.

That could be the case for the most part, I did get good results with mine at the dealer. Had no choice, the OCD over here wasn't gonna let it go and I sure as heck wasn't going to correct it myself! LOL! It thankfully, worked out for me.

Same here, but for my wife's XT5. Dealer 1 wouldn't do it, dealer 2 did a great job.

Respectfully, I can't understand why? Here a few pics of when my car had seam alignment issues when delivered and I took it up with the dealer and it did get resolved same day while I was there with the car, IMPORTANTLY NO damage to the factory door jam paint, alignment bolts etc.... Looks like factory set seams aligned properly now as they should be....Does yours look similar to this mess? If so, can be done CORRECTLY. Not getting what they are saying to you? Hmmm.
Maybe because mine is a bit worse than that. I dont know. Honestly, it doesnt bother me much anymore in the grand scheme of things. With all the other issues i had with it (which have been resolved), I didnt want one more thing that kept her in the shop any longer.

So I had to check mine after reading this discussion. To me, every gap and alignment is perfect, and the paint is flawless as well. I bought it from dealer inventory just as it came in, and they had applied some type of paint and fabric sealant. I have to admit the paint had a beautiful shine with no scratches or swirls. I've since had PPF front and lower sides and complete ceramic, but it looked just as nice from the dealer. I suppose the workers have bad days and good days, thankfully I think I got mine from a good day.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back