Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V DIY Tail Light Replacement

Cadillac CT4-V model

RDATLTE

FKA: Sticker Boy & CT4-V Blackwing
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing Road Atlanta IMSA Track Edition
Has anyone done a DIY tail light replacement? If so, easy? Any helpful hints? Mine cracked and they wouldn’t warranty it. Thankfully, it was pretty inexpensive. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_4545.jpeg
    IMG_4545.jpeg
    972.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_4546.jpeg
    IMG_4546.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 116
I would argue that this might be a factory defect in the tail lights. There have been several other forum members who had that same crack. Might want to push the dealership a bit more on a warranty for the part.

I would argue that this might be a factory defect in the tail lights. There have been several other forum members who had that same crack. Might want to push the dealership a bit more on a warranty for the part.
I already ordered and received the replacement. I was disappointed in them not covering it under warranty.

What kind of a tool do you use to remove those white plastic nuts?

Attachments

• IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
What kind of a tool do you use to remove those white plastic nuts?
I don't believe they are meant to be removed. The metal pin pops into them and the insert stays in place (in theory). I'm guessing the tail lamp assy has those pins on it?

Yes, it does. They appear threaded. It appears that the bumper needs to be either fully or at least partially removed as well.

Yes, it does. They appear threaded. It appears that the bumper needs to be either fully or at least partially removed as well.
I just looked up info on tail lamp replacement and they say to remove the bumper cover to get to the two bolts on the inside of the lamp. They also say to replace the plastic anchors, so it might be that they won't come out without destruction.

I just looked up info on tail lamp replacement and they say to remove the bumper cover to get to the two bolts on the inside of the lamp. They also say to replace the plastic anchors, so it might be that they won't come out without destruction.
Thank you!

Did you try turning the plastic pieces?
I couldn’t get any conventional tool to work on them. I didn’t resort to pliers or, vice grips. Per @shbox’s post, it seems that they are single use and sacrificial leading me to believe they’re press on and what looks like threads on the studs are for grip.

Do they squeeze together and then pull/push through?

Looks like the same concept as the outer stud for the rear spoiler. I got a small screwdriver in to open the small end enough to work out the stud, but one plastic insert broke. In the end I didn't re-use them anyway. I think it's the factory way of sticking a stud into a hard to access hole for a nut. If it's a round hole, you might unscrew it. The spoiler plastic nut is oval and won't turn.

That sucks, it seems they made it overly complicated.
For maintenance, perhaps, but not for assembly (which is their concern when building the car). Since you can get to the back of them, it might be possible to get them to release with some ingenuity.

For maintenance, perhaps, but not for assembly (which is their concern when building the car). Since you can get to the back of them, it might be possible to get them to release with some ingenuity.
As you know, you still have to remove the bumper to access 2 other bolts. There are 5 total holding it in place.

Maybe, not looking good for the end user though. If you have to take the bumper cover off to remove the assembly, that is ridiculous. I was disappointed to see that it looks like you have to remove a bunch of the trunk liner to remove the battery. Obviously not a deal breaker as I bought the car, but just sucks they have to make what should be simple tasks a pain in the ass. I know, not limited to Cadillac, it’s like that across all brands.

Maybe, not looking good for the end user though. If you have to take the bumper cover off to remove the assembly, that is ridiculous. I was disappointed to see that it looks like you have to remove a bunch of the trunk liner to remove the battery. Obviously not a deal breaker as I bought the car, but just sucks they have to make what should be simple tasks a pain in the ass. I know, not limited to Cadillac, it’s like that across all brands.
Yeah, every manufacturer is generally using the same strategy. Bumper covers are not hard, but a second person is welcome to keep from causing unintended damage. The way things are packaged these days, the front cover has to come off for a lot of things.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back