Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Did anyone else's android auto or Apple Carplay screen change?

Yes, I asked my dealer and they couldn't diagnose it. It does it all the time but I still use it. You could use a cable and that won't happen. Sound Quality is better too
I can't emphasize this point enough. I use Apple Lossless Audio on my iPhone and the difference between wireless and cabled on the AKG system is substantial.

Only thing I hate is I haven't found a good way to mount my phone when it's cabled.

Yes, I'm aware (and I do that). But, as an engineer, it drives me slightly crazy when people *add* steps that just shouldn't be necessary. Even if just one press.

Because it's not just one press, this is part of a bigger picture. It's unnecessarily stepping on the brake pedal to start the car. Unnecessarily pressing the "rev match" button because that setting isn't remembered. And so on. Could be worse. On other cars you might also want/need to disable the ASS feature, turn the crappy automatic lights on or off, etc.

Not a big problem at all, nitpicking obviously, but by all means let us know if you can change the default display.
Are you sure it's not just the app you're using for audio playback? I primarily listen to XM and I have skip back, play/pause, and skip forward controls.

Are you sure it's not just the app you're using for audio playback? I primarily listen to XM and I have skip back, play/pause, and skip forward controls.

I'm not certain of anything. Main app in question is Pocket Casts. Also use Google Podcasts.

All I know is that in the past I had:
> Full screen map view by default
> Audio controls (skip back, play/pause, skip forward) below the map
(It's the play/pause I miss most, of course, because I have the skip buttons on the steering wheel)

And now I have:
> Multiple tiles, need to choose the map view to get to maps full screen
> With Maps full screen, choices for other apps are shown either below the map (Bronco) or to the left side of the map (5BW)--not nearly as useful to me

Looks like Android Auto made changes to optimize for both larger screens and for screens of different dimensions. Can't say that I blame them overall, even if I don't happen to like it.

(edited, for information from multiple vehicles)

Last edited:
(It's the play/pause I miss most, of course, because I have the skip buttons on the steering wheel)
Try going into Android Auto settings (on either the phone or the car screen) and turning on the switch for Taskbar widgets. That gave me the buttons back for Google Podcasts at least.

And strangely despite clearly getting an update which changed the appearance, both Google Maps and Waze are defaulting to full screen for me no matter whether the other icons are on the left or the bottom - I can't even figure out how to get the additional tiles to appear!

Try going into Android Auto settings (on either the phone or the car screen) and turning on the switch for Taskbar widgets. That gave me the buttons back for Google Podcasts at least.

And strangely despite clearly getting an update which changed the appearance, both Google Maps and Waze are defaulting to full screen for me no matter whether the other icons are on the left or the bottom - I can't even figure out how to get the additional tiles to appear!

Now we're getting somewhere. On my Android phone I went to Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Android Auto.

From this menu there are options. There is a "Customize launcher" menu item which appears to show a number of apps. Maybe if you don't have a bunch, Maps will be full screen?

I had already made changes here a long time ago, to use Night Mode obviously. And to *not* automatically start playing music when I get in the car.

But "Taskbar widgets" (show quick controls for apps) was disabled. I enabled it and ... IT WORKED! The controls are back! Looks like the new Android Auto version changed some default settings.

There are also settings to show conversations, group conversations, first line of conversations, play conversation chime, etc. If anyone used to get notifications, but doesn't now, maybe these settings are to blame.

Not sure about Maps, that should support the tiled view. But this video says that Waze does *not* support the tiled or panel view, whatever you want to call it (yet another reason why I wonder how long Waze has left to live before it's killed off in favor of Maps only.

As for switching between views, take a look at the lower left part of your screen. You'll see nine small squares (to go to a listing of all apps) or a sideways window. Watch the video around 6:00, where he toggles through various displays.

If you're in the tiled/panel view...
>> Press the 9 squares to get to the complete app listing.
>> Press any of the apps in one of the tiles to make that app full screen.

If you have an app in full screen mode...
>> Press the "window" view in the lower left to get back to the tile view.
(can't get straight to the full app listings)

Now we're getting somewhere. On my Android phone I went to Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Android Auto.

From this menu there are options. There is a "Customize launcher" menu item which appears to show a number of apps. Maybe if you don't have a bunch, Maps will be full screen?

I had already made changes here a long time ago, to use Night Mode obviously. And to *not* automatically start playing music when I get in the car.

But "Taskbar widgets" (show quick controls for apps) was disabled. I enabled it and ... IT WORKED! The controls are back! Looks like the new Android Auto version changed some default settings.

There are also settings to show conversations, group conversations, first line of conversations, play conversation chime, etc. If anyone used to get notifications, but doesn't now, maybe these settings are to blame.
Still waiting on you to go back and edit all your previous blasphemous posts and apologize. Android Auto is amazing, and I'll hear nothing to the contrary!

/sarcasm 🤣

Still waiting on you to go back and edit all your previous blasphemous posts and apologize. Android Auto is amazing, and I'll hear nothing to the contrary!

/sarcasm 🤣

Never! I have to say, when Android Auto first came out, it *really* sucked. But it has gotten a LOT better. Now that I know how to enable "Taskbar widgets" it's all good. Complicating things is that Android Auto is now baked into Android (not a separate app, like in the past) so those settings weren't immediately obvious, not as easy to find, for me anyway.

Incidentally, I'll never stop complaining about Google products. As a former employee, that's what we do. If you ever see external criticism of Google, I can assure you that the internal criticism is 1000x worse. Especially when "dogfooding" new releases before the public.

This came up this morning while using Waze..

IMG_20230211_102702817_HDR.jpg

Never! I have to say, when Android Auto first came out, it *really* sucked. But it has gotten a LOT better. Now that I know how to enable "Taskbar widgets" it's all good. Complicating things is that Android Auto is now baked into Android (not a separate app, like in the past) so those settings weren't immediately obvious, not as easy to find, for me anyway.

Incidentally, I'll never stop complaining about Google products. As a former employee, that's what we do. If you ever see external criticism of Google, I can assure you that the internal criticism is 1000x worse. Especially when "dogfooding" new releases before the public.
So should we talk about how consistent the company has been with their various messaging/chat apps?

*Runs for cover*

So should we talk about how consistent the company has been with their various messaging/chat apps?

*Runs for cover*

Absolutely!! Won't offend me, or the vast majority of the company, a bit. Like I said, the internal criticism is 1000x worse than you'll ever read publicly. Memegen* (internal app) has absolutely vicious/clever commentary about this (and other things).

* Inside Google's Internal Meme Generator

New tiled screen came up today with a Waze update. :)

New tiled screen came up today with a Waze update. :)
I received a new interface about 7-10 days ago. Definitely not as functional as they've disabled voice navigation other than to 'work' or 'home' for Waze (Google said they're working on it...) Haven't been out today but hopefully your message is for an update to restore functionality.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back