Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Dealer damaged my roof lining?!?

MacGruber

My car arrived yesterday. I drove to the dealership today to inspect the car before accepting delivery. I allowed them to prepare the interior, but I directed them to not wash the car because I wanted to see the paint before they cleaned it. The car is black. Upon inspection, they removed all the white tape. Tragically, the hood was covered in fine line swirl marks and there were several fine line scratches and marks in the paint at different locations. How does this even happen?!?! I directed them to detail the exterior and I would arrive on Wednesday to inspect again and pick the car up. More troubling though is what I saw on the roof liner. In the back lot, when I got into the backseat, I noticed a color discrepancy on the roof liner in my peripheral vision, but I was distracted and unconsciously thought it was a light reflection and forgot to inspect it again. During the test drive, my son took a picture of me driving. See attached image. He missed it completely during the test drive and only noticed it after reviewing this photo later in the day.

What the hell am I looking at? This does not look like a light reflection. I have my thoughts but I don’t want to influence anybody’s opinion. If anybody has any thoughts or experience I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Look like sun reflection in the photo, can see the sun pouring in (look at the middle compartment b/w driver & passenger seat). Is it still there where in the shade?

My car arrived yesterday. I drove to the dealership today to inspect the car before accepting delivery. I allowed them to prepare the interior, but I directed them to not wash the car because I wanted to see the paint before they cleaned it. The car is black. Upon inspection, they removed all the white tape. Tragically, the hood was covered in fine line swirl marks and there were several fine line scratches and marks in the paint at different locations. How does this even happen?!?! I directed them to detail the exterior and I would arrive on Wednesday to inspect again and pick the car up. More troubling though is what I saw on the roof liner. In the back lot, when I got into the backseat, I noticed a color discrepancy on the roof liner in my peripheral vision, but I was distracted and unconsciously thought it was a light reflection and forgot to inspect it again. During the test drive, my son took a picture of me driving. See attached image. He missed it completely during the test drive and only noticed it after reviewing this photo later in the day.

What the hell am I looking at? This does not look like a light reflection. I have my thoughts but I don’t want to influence anybody’s opinion. If anybody has any thoughts or experience I would love to hear it. Thanks in advance.
My black paint was AWFUL from the dealership. Took a competent detail guy 12 hours to correct it. Dealership was not interested in cost sharing.

Look like sun reflection in the photo, can see the sun pouring in (look at the middle compartment b/w driver & passenger seat). Is it still there where in the shade?

Sun reflection? Possible I guess, but I noticed it from the backseat in the parking lot and this picture was taken on the road during the test drive. Would the sun be in the exact same location and hit the exact same spot causing the light reflection?

My black paint was AWFUL from the dealership. Took a competent detail guy 12 hours to correct it. Dealership was not interested in cost sharing.

The dealership knew you were still going to accept delivery. Take it or leave it, that's their attitude. Terrible situation.

Porsches, especially 911s, come off the truck completely covered in white film from head to toe, including the wheels. That's what you get for 150+k thousand. I guess 100+k for a Blackwing doesn't warrant that. Truthfully, GM does not deserve the business. Great car, terrible delivery experience.

The dealership knew you were still going to accept delivery. Take it or leave it, that's their attitude. Terrible situation.

Porsches, especially 911s, come off the truck completely covered in white film from head to toe, including the wheels. That's what you get for 150+k thousand. I guess 100+k for a Blackwing doesn't warrant that. Truthfully, GM does not deserve the business. Great car, terrible delivery experience.
Eh, Porsche paint isn't so great from the factory either.

The Alcantara will look different shades depending on what direction the fibers are laying and the lighting.

Bro, Why you wearing a mask?
🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Your question is not inquisitive, rather to ridicule, but I will entertain it. I’m a gastroenterologist. I perform procedures in the hospital several times per week. I wear a mask when I’m in close proximity to other people in close quarters, such as in the car next to my salesperson/complete stranger who isn’t wearing a mask. Why? If I test positive for Covid I will not be allowed to enter the hospital or perform procedures for several days. This is a major inconvenience for myself and my patients who would have to reschedule their procedures.

This has got to be one of the weirdest threads ever, and I’ve been on a lot of different forums for years…..still get weird new complaints like this.

Speaking of, I’ve had a used 21 Cayenne S, new 22 718 GTS 4.0, used 22 992 911 4S and a brand new 23 992 GTS. Every one of them had issues form paint/interior blemishes plus annoying rattles etc etc. I’m not making excuses for GM as they have annoying issues as well, but they generally tens of thousands if not a hundred grand cheaper. Of course there will be a difference in quality and this continued comparison to Porsche is not analogous and is just stupid. I was way more annoyed when my 175,000 992 GTS (that I waited 18 months for) had paint and interior blemishes than my 71K CT4-V BW.

GM paint generally sucks, go on Rennlist and look at the list of complaints about Porsche paint jobs. Everyone has issues with paint since regulations years ago limited certain products you could use. Almost everyone has orange peal etc etc.

All that aside, take your car outside in the daylight, look up.

Is it effed up?

Yes, bring to dealership to replace.

No, push away from computer, stop whining and drive your car/move on with your life.

Not rocket science and not worth the drama.

Last edited:
Your question is not inquisitive, rather to ridicule, but I will entertain it. I’m a gastroenterologist. I perform procedures in the hospital several times per week. I wear a mask when I’m in close proximity to other people in close quarters, such as in the car next to my salesperson/complete stranger who isn’t wearing a mask. Why? If I test positive for Covid I will not be allowed to enter the hospital or perform procedures for several days. This is a major inconvenience for myself and my patients who would have to reschedule their procedures.
I still wear a mask. My wife is immuno compromised and I'd prefer not to bring anything home. should have heard the person behind me in the grocery hacking up a lung.

This has got to be one of the weirdest threads ever, and I’ve been on a lot of different forums for years…..still get weird new complaints like this.

Speaking of, I’ve had a used 21 Cayenne S, new 22 718 GTS 4.0, used 22 992 911 4S and a brand new 23 992 GTS. Every one of them had issues form paint/interior blemishes plus annoying rattles etc etc. I’m not making excuses for GM as they have annoying issues as well, but they generally tens of thousands if not a hundred grand cheaper. Of course there will be a difference in quality and this continued comparison to Porsche is not analogous and is just stupid. I was way more annoyed when my 175,000 992 GTS (that I waited 18 months for) had paint and interior blemishes than my 71K CT4-V BW.

GM paint generally sucks, go on Rennlist and look at the list of complaints about Porsche paint jobs. Everyone has issues with paint since regulations years ago limited certain products you could use. Almost everyone has orange peal etc etc.

All that aside, take your car outside in the daylight, look up.

Is it effed up?

Yes, bring to dealership to replace.

No, push away from computer, stop whining and drive your car/move on with your life.

Not rocket science and not worth the drama.
Why am I receiving a lecture from you?

Not worth the drama…but only to insert yourself into this conversation under the guise of advice.

I don’t live on car forums. I am not aware of issues with Porsche paint. I agree with you, even if you don’t realize it, that there is a difference between Porsches and GM products. I acknowledged this by pointing out that the added cost of a 911 comes with a greater effort on Porsche’s part to properly wrap the car to mitigate damage during transit.

The image presents a focal, hyperdense region with a surrounding gradient/white residue. It looks like a poor attempt to clean a stain or a stain from water intrusion.

Take the car outside in the daylight, look up? Do you believe I would rather poll the forum than simply pull my car outside? I am not in possession of the car. I am returning this week to accept delivery. This was articulated in my initial post.

I initially did not want to notify my salesperson before my arrival this week. I wanted to see the roof liner before any attempt was made to address this issue. The purpose of my post was not to complain, but rather, to see if another person had a similar issue (is water intrusion an issue in these cars? Is there another issue with the headliner I am not aware of? Does this look like an attempt to clean a stain?)

In the end, I decided to communicate with the salesperson and it was confirmed that it was a light reflection, not a stain. Don’t trust cell phone cameras. Case closed.

Glad to see that the (non) issue is resolved. I suspected a light reflection as well, but didn't get a chance to share that.

OP, my black car also had all kinds of weird scratches and paint defects. It seems to be more common than not. Best of luck with it for you.

As for the guys who are - I dunno - mask shaming? There are a lot of people out there who are immunocompromised for different reasons, be it chemo, weak immune systems, or perhaps just suffer from paranoia, or work in the medical profession who simply need to be more careful. I think that's extremely uncool to be giving anyone crap about it.

And let's be honest here - if you're going to pick up a disease from a stranger, who is more likely to be a carrier than a car salesman? :unsure:

There was a car saleswoman at the Mercedes dealer that I would like to try to pickup a disease from.
I know the one you are referring to.
1398_15_TheSporanos_GlobeMotors_01.jpg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop