Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Blackwing 6-sp (2022) surging during normal driving

I guess my point is that if you have a car that you love, and your warranty isn't getting the issue resolved, why not let me give it a try?
Appreciate you reaching out...was just concerned that whatever fixes it might be seem as an aftermarket tune which would void the warranty

Bumping this thread as I’m currently dealing With this in my 2023 5BW auto.

We had a CT5-V Blackwing customer with a similar complaint recently. He was experiencing this same surging when the car was stock, and again after we tuned it. He then captured the surging in a data scan, and we were able to resolve it for him in one remote tune edit.

We had a CT5-V Blackwing customer with a similar complaint recently. He was experiencing this same surging when the car was stock, and again after we tuned it. He then captured the surging in a data scan, and we were able to resolve it for him in one remote tune edit.
What are your thoughts surrounding why some engines have this issue while others don't, Or do you suspect all of them have it and some owners are more attuned to noticing it?

Personally, I'm on my 2nd 5BW and my 2022 model surged alot more often then my current 24 model, I may have noticed it a handful of times. I bought octaneboost professional but I'm hesitant to use additives on a new engine and I have my doubts as to if it will make any difference.

A local 76 station sells Sunoco SS100 in a 5 gal barrel for $125 which is ridiculous given they used to sell for $67 4 years ago.

I would know if my engine was acting erratically. I have no surging, my transmission is not notchy, my paint is good, my body panels are aligned, I have no interior rattles. I’m keeping this one.

The surging has absolutely nothing to do with fuel octane rating. I think it's mostly a function of supercharged engines and the throttle-by-wire programming (and maybe add in a little drivetrain slop engineered in to reduce NVH). Why some cars do and most don't is a function of the driver and their being prone to inducing this phenomenon and/or not recognizing/reacting to it quickly enough.

The surging has absolutely nothing to do with fuel octane rating. I think it's mostly a function of supercharged engines and the throttle-by-wire programming (and maybe add in a little drivetrain slop engineered in to reduce NVH). Why some cars do and most don't is a function of the driver and their being prone to inducing this phenomenon and/or not recognizing/reacting to it quickly enough.
I don't know about that (function of the driver?)...there is a TSB regarding this issue with the cam actuators....this is an inherent issue in some cars...several folks on the FB BW groups have had this issue and it was resolved after the TSB fix. I have had it all along 2022 5 V BW but mine is very intermittent.

Last edited:
It is entirely possible to be both. Maybe in rare cases there is an engine problem. But also in other cases it’s the driver technique.

The surging has absolutely nothing to do with fuel octane rating. I think it's mostly a function of supercharged engines and the throttle-by-wire programming (and maybe add in a little drivetrain slop engineered in to reduce NVH).
This is my first SC vehicle, I’ve had plenty of turbo cars. Are you saying this is similar to boost fluttering in a waste gate?

Why some cars do and most don't is a function of the driver and their being prone to inducing this phenomenon and/or not recognizing/reacting to it quickly enough.
I notice it when I was 3/4 throttle on the highway in 3rd/4th gear around 80mph in the mid rpm range. What sort of driving style or action would create a scenario where the engine surges upon acceleration?

FWIW, the OPs surging issue is much worse than mine, my current car barely does it.

It is entirely possible to be both. Maybe in rare cases there is an engine problem. But also in other cases it’s the driver technique.
That's possible but that might be a different type of symptom? This one is like the car is misfiring ...the effect is pretty strong and obvious vs a driver not giving smooth inputs.

FYI I had to go through GM/Cadillac and open a CAC or whatever they called it since the dealer couldn't do anything about it. They are working directly with my dealer on this. Luckily my issue is intermittent. GM really came through on this when it came to working with my dealer. I will keep you posted.

This is my first SC vehicle, I’ve had plenty of turbo cars. Are you saying this is similar to boost fluttering in a waste gate?

I notice it when I was 3/4 throttle on the highway in 3rd/4th gear around 80mph in the mid rpm range. What sort of driving style or action would create a scenario where the engine surges upon acceleration?

FWIW, the OPs surging issue is much worse than mine, my current car barely does it.
I guess as @rubberduck said, there are two versions of surging...the one I'm referring to is the low speed (parking lot for instance) bucking/surging resonance. 3/4 throttle at highway speeds is not at all what I'm talking about, so yours sounds more like the TSB issue.

I guess as @rubberduck said, there are two versions of surging...the one I'm referring to is the low speed (parking lot for instance) bucking/surging resonance. 3/4 throttle at highway speeds is not at all what I'm talking about, so yours sounds more like the TSB issue.
Actually the TSB issue is at steady speed but my issue is at low rpm part throttle

Last edited:
I don’t think the surging is a problem with the engine. Feels like throttle body related. But I do want to test if it’s maybe a symptom of bad fuel. I pump at the same gas station every time so maybe switching it up will net different results

Car at the dealer for the tsB fix....looks like cam sensor magnet and a check valve.

1000021296.jpg
1000021295.jpg

How did you convince them to do the work? My local dealer won't do it unless they can replicate the problem (which I understand, but that means potentially keeping my car for days or weeks)

How did you convince them to do the work? My local dealer won't do it unless they can replicate the problem (which I understand, but that means potentially keeping my car for days or weeks)
It was a lot of jumping through hoops with the dealer...I did have a good relationship with the GM of the dealership so that helped. Eventually ended up talking to Cadillac directly and connected them to the service director and they agreed to fix it through warranty. Cadillac came through on this one.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back