Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4 V Blackwing Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft

1705540778373.png

How goes the testing? Hoping to have one fitted before the autocross season gets under way lol

Anyone have some news on the production of a CF driveshaft for the 4BW? I know the ATS-V had one available so I'd *think* it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to get that changed slightly to fit into the new cars. With the high power of the unlocked ECU's seems like that'll be something that's wanted. For me, the weight savings even if a smallish amount would be worth it. Previous cars have felt a noticeable difference plus BMW seemed to think it was worth it on M cars so I'm not alone in my feeling a difference.
Mission accomplished!

jb5359 said:
I would get one when I go Brown belt......

Your brand new carbon fiber driveshaft has been installed. :)

slummy said:
Interested.
I think my car is going to stay stock for a bit but this would be a nice addition.

Let's go!

We've got you!

@JB5359 What do you think of the CF drive shaft? With how well it seems to be balanced and setup I'd expect even less NVH coming through. Any other things you've noticed, good or bad? I'm about to pull the trigger and thought you might be able to provide us some insight. Lesser designed one piece drive shafts certainly cause their fair share of issues.

Thanks!

@JB5359 What do you think of the CF drive shaft? With how well it seems to be balanced and setup I'd expect even less NVH coming through. Any other things you've noticed, good or bad? I'm about to pull the trigger and thought you might be able to provide us some insight. Lesser designed one piece drive shafts certainly cause their fair share of issues.

Thanks!
I don't have it yet. Probably a couple more weeks. Cadillac Attack slowed things down and my car is up in OH and I'm down here in TX so need to get it shipped back down here.

I don't have it yet. Probably a couple more weeks. Cadillac Attack slowed things down and my car is up in OH and I'm down here in TX so need to get it shipped back down here.
Haha, fair enough! Sounds like Texas has a great Cadillac scene. New Mexico not so much. I may have mine in about the same time you get yours in that case!

Quick question for @WONT TAP

On ordering the CF drive shaft, I see it comes pre-selected with ATS-V shifter bushings. Is that a known upgrade for us Blackwing people? It was common practice in the Porsche crowd to move to GT3 shifter bushings as they were billet aluminum instead of plastic and really improved feel. Just want to make sure I get everything right before putting the order in!

Quick question for @WONT TAP

On ordering the CF drive shaft, I see it comes pre-selected with ATS-V shifter bushings. Is that a known upgrade for us Blackwing people? It was common practice in the Porsche crowd to move to GT3 shifter bushings as they were billet aluminum instead of plastic and really improved feel. Just want to make sure I get everything right before putting the order in!
We have not yet test fit the ATS-V shifter bushings in the CT4-V Blackwing, so we cannot confirm they are interchangeable at this time.

We have not yet test fit the ATS-V shifter bushings in the CT4-V Blackwing, so we cannot confirm they are interchangeable at this time.
Thanks! I was wondering if it might just be an accidental auto selection since there wasn’t an explanation. You guys consistently provide good info on why a mod is an improvement.

Carbon Fiber drive shaft in with the differential lock out bushing:

I was going in expecting a bit of a change. Maybe nothing noticeable until winding the car fully out. I was not right about that. Coming off the clutch is noticeably smoother without having to pay as much attention. Seems the weight drop is pronounced at low speed and low throttle application.

Trying to find some expert information on if the drive shaft has a gyroscopic effect. It'd stand the reason it probably does. From the feel it seems like the car is more eager to dive into the corner without less of that corrective feeling from a gyroscope.

Seems like just about everything I was expecting from the change and a little more. Expensive but the improvement in driving feel is really worth it for me.

Only thing I would note is there's a mild harmonic at 50 mph. It's not loud and the shop I installed it at has done other cars with single piece drive shafts in CF from the DSS seemed to think it was normal. Seemed well within normal to me as well from my experience. Removing that much rubber and slop from the system is bound to have a bit of noise. But above and below 50 all the way into the 100's is just as quite as stock. Just be aware if you're exceptionally sensitive to extra noises.

In two weeks I'll have it on the track and we'll see how that feels. I'll update at that point with those impressions as well.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back