Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Calling all pics & opinions of Black Diamond Tricoat (BDT)

5VBW Nick

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V Blackwing
Having thoughts about a '24 5V Blackwing in BDT, but have never seen one in person, and photos are difficult to judge from for the most part.

If you have any pics of this color, or video, on any car, Blackwings preferred though, please share here.

Also, share your opinion or descriptions of the color. Trying to decide between this and just regular Black Raven. Thanks 👍🏼

Assuming its the same or similar to previous V's with BDT (V2 had this paint, not sure if others did), its a remarkable color and rarely presents as true black paint. In morning and evening summer light, it literally looks like the car is coated in diamonds. I like black with some subtle metallic in it, but BDT is way too much flare for me. Some dealers have large color samples that you can take outside in the light, maybe try finding a sample?

This still doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea.

When you say you have thoughts, what does that mean? Is this a stock unit? If so, the dealer should be able to get you pix. If it's "in transit", I believe GM makes it for other divisions (Camaro for example). Just check the paint code. If you mean you want to put in an order, FWIW, I believe the color is "built out" for 2024, and will not be available for 2025.

I like black with some subtle metallic in it, but BDT is way too much flare for me.
I agree!

Reminds me too much like Metalflake, which I personally didn't care for. I had a 2016 BMW M4 in Black Sapphire Metalic, which was gorgeous. They should have called it Black Sapphire Pearl, since pearl was in the paint formula.

IMG_1486.JPG

When you say you have thoughts, what does that mean? Is this a stock unit? If so, the dealer should be able to get you pix. If it's "in transit", I believe GM makes it for other divisions (Camaro for example). Just check the paint code. If you mean you want to put in an order, FWIW, I believe the color is "built out" for 2024, and will not be available for 2025.
One a dealer has coming in, stock unit, no actual pics yet.

Hoping to pick mine up from my detail guys later this week. Full PPF and ceramic. Here are a couple quick hits of it sitting in their shop before clean up. Wouldn't want any other color
IMG_3731.JPG

That last picture shows an absolutely insane amount of flake. The car looks silver or dark gray, but in a videos it just looks almost black. I'd love to be able to see this in person

I just took delivery on a 4bw in BDT, sight unseen. I'd say that it's for the most part very subtle until it isn't subtle at all.

Under most lighting situations, the car reads 'graphite' to my eye, but if you get direct light at the correct angle to where you are standing, it's suddenly quite very much blazingly sparkles--but this is't the standard presentation. The lighting situations at least where I'm at this time of year rarely makes the paint pop. Most of the time the car looks dark grey.

It's going to be a difficult color to keep clean, no doubt.

If you want a louder looking car, BDT isn't really it. It reads as a more subtle, understated vehicle with this paint.

I just took delivery on a 4bw in BDT, sight unseen. I'd say that it's for the most part very subtle until it isn't subtle at all.

Under most lighting situations, the car reads 'graphite' to my eye, but if you get direct light at the correct angle to where you are standing, it's suddenly quite very much blazingly sparkles--but this is't the standard presentation. The lighting situations at least where I'm at this time of year rarely makes the paint pop. Most of the time the car looks dark grey.

It's going to be a difficult color to keep clean, no doubt.

If you want a louder looking car, BDT isn't really it. It reads as a more subtle, understated vehicle with this paint.
Thanks for the input, certainly share any photos you might have

Thanks for sharing the photos. I had a dealer that I was working with I'm possibly buying one that is sitting on their lot. They ordered it for a stock vehicle and they can't get anyone to buy it after 2 months. They weren't giving me a very good trade-in value for my RS6 however, because they said they don't normally deal with high-end cars like that. That's kind of a weird statement when you're trying to sell a $120,000 Cadillac. They even have a $2,000 discount on it and they can't sell it.

Again, as I mentioned before, in general, even under full sun, this paint is subtle right until you catch the angle right where it turns rather dramatic. Photos do not capture the sparkling clear coat metallic fleck highlights.

Here's evening conditions in my driveway, clear blue sky. For once, you can get a clear sense of the grain when the angle of direct light is right. The photo does not capture the sparkle at all, but it gives you a sense of the grain at lest. "diamond" is an apt description of the paint for sure. When it pops, it really does.
IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2562.jpg

It's pretty, and it's definitely special, but I just don't know if it's really sporty enough for what I would prefer on this type of car. 🤔

> really sporty enough for what I would prefer on this type of car

you saying that would lead me to think that it is not. Its graphite that sometimes will bling, but I think what you are really getting in this paint is graphite.

Hoping to pick mine up from my detail guys later this week. Full PPF and ceramic. Here are a couple quick hits of it sitting in their shop before clean up. Wouldn't want any other color
View attachment 25305
UGH...Still don't have my car from the detail guys. I guess that means they are doing it right which I would prefer over rushing to get it done. They think I am going to be able to pick it up next week Tues or Wed. Pics and vids to be uploaded here for sure

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back