Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V C7 Z06 or CT5 V BW?

CT5-V Model

ericwilliamstevenson

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5-V Blackwing 86-0329 - Sold
after having the IRS clawback my caddy money causing a liquidation of Blackwing 86-0329, I have settled all debts and refilled the Veblen Vehicle account.

The seemingly simple question is, which to choose - a pre-loved C7 Z06 7SPD or another round of the BW goat rodeo?

Has or does anyone here own both?

I've owned a used C7 w/z51 package for a few years and I absolutely loved it. A little tight for my frame (6'4") but a extremely capable car for it's price point. However, I would not overpay for a C7 based on the current market as it is an aging car.

I think you need to ask yourself what you are looking for in a car. I have small kids now so the CT5BW will be great to share with the family.

I've owned a used C7 w/z51 package for a few years and I absolutely loved it. A little tight for my frame (6'4") but a extremely capable car for it's price point. However, I would not overpay for a C7 based on the current market as it is an aging car.

I think you need to ask yourself what you are looking for in a car. I have small kids now so the CT5BW will be great to share with the family.

I am looking for the American Muscle experience - manny, v8, sc. I am 6'3" and the caddy fit me fine, but the 997.2 turbo - not so much.

I live in elevated Utah, so canyon runs and commute are my primary use cases. UMC road track likely during a few summer weekends.

A car that I want to keep forever. Kids are 11 and 13.

eh.. I talked myself back into another BW.. Noticed that PDR isn't an option now, price also bumped over previous build.

I haven't owned or driven either car, but I think the BW is a more interesting and versatile option. Also, the BW is going to be vastly more capable than the skillset of most drivers on the track.

The configurator has been updated since your last build and I think its harder to use. When you get to the "options" section, you need to click on the "interior" tab at the top and that is where you'll find PDR.

I've owned a C7 Z06 for 4 years come spring and I have a 5BW thats at 4D00 status, I will be keeping both.

They both have merits and I guess it really depends what you want out of your LT4 powered dream machine. One is a sports car the other is a sedan. Yes the Blackwing drives amazingly well but its still a large sedan, the Z06 is a low riding sports car, do these things matter to you?

The interior and tech is obviously superior in the Blackwing, the C7 interior is quite old looking, however certain spec'd interiors can make it feel decent but its still not on the level of a Blackwing.

Sure on paper and for the street the Blackwing sounds like the win, its nicer, has similar power, can fit 4 people, the Z06 might have issues scraping in certain parking lots and it may be a bit more of a pain to live with because of that vs a Blackwing.

However I love my Z06, I drive it all the time, I love driving in a low seating position, the Z06 gets more attention, its a Corvette after all, maybe thats a good thing or maybe not but I always like the thumbs up and kids jumping for joy when they see it, the Blackwing looks an awful lot like a regular CT5 and blends in much more.

Honestly its a tough choice, at least for me, which is why I'm keeping both. If I had to pick one, I don't know if I could. I'd probably still find a way to own both.

Not a C7Z06 owner but my pops is. Having driven both, they are apples and oranges. The vette is an absolute beast to drive. You're not going to drive it to the country club comfortably unless you're going to play tennis. Golf bag doesn't fit the same as my BW5. I couldn't imagine driving distance in the Z compared to the 5.

Honestly its a tough choice, at least for me, which is why I'm keeping both. If I had to pick one, I don't know if I could. I'd probably still find a way to own both.

thank you for this. Posting this question in the BW forum, I was sure the BW would be the hands-down favorite. The Z06 can be had for tens of thousands less, so maybe I'll find a local owner willing to take me on a joy ride to help the decision.

also looks like yours was allocated and built pretty quick.

I can also relate to the 'it's still a large sedan' comment.. I remember sitting at stop light shortly after selling the 911 Turbo for the Blackwing in stunned silence about how big [ and bloated ] it felt.. stopped.at.a.light

I have an STI for four doors, back seats, and winter. I dont need a sedan.. Or really a car at all for that matter. =/

Last edited:
found this one on the vette forum . 2k miles. 7spd..

anybody know how to price these?

1670523797496.png

Not a C7Z06 owner but my pops is. Having driven both, they are apples and oranges. The vette is an absolute beast to drive. You're not going to drive it to the country club comfortably unless you're going to play tennis. Golf bag doesn't fit the same as my BW5. I couldn't imagine driving distance in the Z compared to the 5.
I take my Z06 on trips all the time, I love it, its a great cruiser and very comfortable for me, its supposed to be, all Corvette's are. Is the ride a bit stiff? Sure, I don't find it that stiff though, its perfectly fine out on the streets. I had a ZLE, that was stiff!

Depe
found this one on the vette forum . 2k miles. 7spd..

anybody know how to price these?

View attachment 15037
Depends on trim level, year etc. But with such low mileage it is probably being sold for a pretty penny, car prices are still a bit nutty but if this was a 3LZ 2019, I'd imagine it would be going for high 70s.

Most likely it would be better to find one with a few more miles but nothing to crazy to get a few thousand cheaper.

I'd pick a colour and trim you'd like, determine if you want Z07 then get hunting.

if you're gonna keep the car forever you get the last 4 door v8 manual transmission car made by any manufacturer.

C7 Z06 and a 4BW.

Seriously though, unless there's some specific need for a sedan, the C7 Z06 will obviously be more performance capable while being fine for transporting two people. My wife and I have taken mine on weekend trips.

I won't rehash what was already said but to add and in IMO:

I think the C7 is aging rather well and I seriously doubt there will ever be a front engine rwd manual V8 Corvette.

You won't be driving the C7 as much as if it was a sedan, esp. If you have family who can enjoy it as well, and the practically is there. You may have the sti but I'd suspect you'd choose the BW a majority of the time.

There are a lot more C7s out there and there will be more parts for when it breaks. There is less tech and therefore it should be cheaper to fix. I suspect that in the coming years it will be very difficult to find parts for specialty cars such as the BW.

I suspect the BW will be worth more then a C7 Z06 if & when you feel it's time to move on.

May I say this as respectfully as I can, but as you age getting in and out of a Z06 can be difficult and in some cases painful or not possible. I can't imagine the BW being all that difficult to own as one's last vehicle. It's very comfortable for what it is. Case in point, my friend's father used to race TR-4s back in the day and had owned a 67 427 Stingray( regretting ever selling it). Back in 04 he bought his last Z06. At the time he was in good health. About 10 years later his back & knees started giving him problems. Then he recently developed a heart condition so much so that he can no longer drive it. It currently has 10k mi on it and it sits in the garage on its original dry rotted Eagle F1 tires. I'm not sure if this would ever come into your equation but life changes when you least expect it. Whatever you get, enjoy it as much as you can and I don't think you'll ever make the wrong choice.

I have a C7 Z06/Z07 M7 and just got an allocation for a 5 BW. I am torn also between the two as it has the same engine. Is it worth keeping both? In 10 years with all these new ICE cars coming to us I'm sure I will kick myself if I sold the Z06. But storage space is an issue...

if you're gonna keep the car forever you get the last 4 door v8 manual transmission car made by any manufacturer.
^^

I have owned every version of the C7 (Z51, Z06, Z07, ZR1, and GS) and own a 5BW M7. The 5BW is the one I stalked the rumors until release night and is the one I would keep. I do miss the ZR1 though and I still have the GS as a heavily modified track car.

I think as a track car is how the z06 would be most enjoyed.. In which case, I shouldnt be looking for the prettiest example on the market and the decision variables change. +1 for the bw as my primary use case is street car with occasional road course weekends in summer.

when i say street car, i mean middle school basketball games and the occasional freeway commute... not.a.street.outlaw

I think the C7 is aging rather well ....

You won't be driving the C7 as much as if it was a sedan ....

There are a lot more C7s out there and there will be more parts for when it breaks...

I suspect the BW will be worth more then a C7 Z06 if & when you feel it's time to move on...

May I say this as respectfully as I can, but as you age ..
all great points.

I love the looks of the C7. And while it is aging well, it is more aged than a current model year car. for better and worse. But to your point, it may age better [ and more slowly ] than I.

Would definitely drive it more than the STI on fair weather days. Though I do love me some subie. I was bitten by Subaru in 2007 and have had 3 STIs since my first back then.

Anyway, the Subaru is not appropriate for all audiences and doesn't serve well as a date or professional passenger car.

C7 production is undoubtedly higher than BW will be. This removes urgency from a C7 purchase and perhaps makes it a slightly weaker store of value. Though neither would be an 'investment'. This is strictly a consumption, fully depreciated, type expense consideration.

I am 47 and hopeful that this is not my last car. Though, no longer can I do heavy workouts without first considering whether I want my elbows or shoulders reminding me that we're no longer 23 either.

Whatever you get, enjoy it as much as you can and I don't think you'll ever make the wrong choice.

This is the main point and I think impossible to amplify and repeat enough. In the end is the Nigh. Enjoy the now.

For reference, I’ve owned a c7 z07 and now have a 5BW. I love both cars, period. My advice is to really visualize how you will be driving each of the cars you will be keeping, and optimize from there. In an ideal world, I would say you get both and sell the subie as it and the BW are performance sedans...but it’s rarely an ideal world. I ended up selling my z06 years ago because I needed the rear seats too often.

Layering in some practicality, you also don’t have to be locked in to your choice, so maybe think through which choice will have the lowest expected cost for you if you decide to switch later. These used car prices are killing me esp. when I bought my 2LZ Z07 brand new for $86 out the door back in ‘17. That said, I also paid adm on my 5BW…only you can decide what’s best for you. As others have said, there’s only good choices here— good luck and keep us posted!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back