Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brutal Winter Car

Deneed4spd

Seasoned Member
How does anyone else deal with parking their BW all winter long while driving a boring car.

I have always driven a sport sedan or coupe the last 15 yrs (3 series, m2) all year round. Sold my m2 during Covid due to dumb used car values and bought a boring ridgeline truck to haul the kids baseball junk, bikes, boat and not borrow my wife’s suv. I had my eye on G87 M2 as my other car but that didn’t pan out due to it being ugly and too bloated/tuned down. Gave up my #1 allocation and got a CT5 BW. But atlas the BW sits in the stall while we still have a chance for 4-6 inches of snow on Friday! What the hell!! Anyhow, thinking of trading in the truck for something that is more fun and can drive around all year long. Anyone else miserable driving around their boring car?? In MN, it would be like 5 months of driving a boring car every year. Wish there was a fun station wagon under 40k but can’t find anything besides maybe the new Prius prime which I heard might be pretty quick and get 50 mpg. Sometimes I wonder if I should just put winters on the BW and rip her around.

I just sold my VW GLI a couple months ago and got a '22 Ridgeline. I've had the BW since August. I'm able to get it out in decent weather almost once a week, but yeah, I'm not a fan of the truck. I needed the truck for truck purposes and couldn't justify keeping the GLI. I really miss the GLI as an all-year car though. I don't mean to dump on the Honda, but I just am not a fan of trucks anymore even though I've had them in the past as daily drivers. No way my BW will see snow and salt regardless.

driving the truck is fine from light to light but man parking the dang barge is a pain. Just an emotionless car even though it can go 0-60 in 6.2 secs which is pretty darn quick for a truck.

For winter duties, my wife's 4th gen MDX is a good alternative to the 4BW, enough so that I probably won't bother with winter tires. My 4BW keeps my Z06 company since it also gets parked for the winter. Beyond that, I just try to leave the house less and play iRacing more.

Last edited:
In hindsight those drought winters here in CA were pretty great for my moto and weekend car hobbies! Haven't ridden since November and only had the BW out a couple of times. After (4) months of cold hard time in the pen, she is triggered by precipitation, so fair weather car it shall be.

Parked ours November hasn’t moved since! Spring Mountain next week hopefully when we get back roads will be clear of salt / anti skid.
Killing me not to get behind wheel! 😟

I turned my insurance back on last week after 3 months of storage. Even so I've barely driven it since I turned it back on. Only a couple of short errands. Hopefully the weekend will have some warmer temps and I can take it out again. It's tough having spent so much money and waited so long for it to be built and delivered only to then sit in the garage under cover. I love my Lexus as a second car. Kind of like I have the old school cadillac vibe and ride qualities in my dd. Quiet and very comfortable.

Winter tires and drive year-round in Iowa. Fortunately for me in the metro area they do a pretty good job cleaning up and I can also work from some, so I didn't have to drive in much snow at all. I can't stand driving a boring car and can't justify two cars for the miles I drive.

Took the cover off mine last weekend and drove it a couple of times. Definitely missed it and looking forward to the snow and salt being gone soon

I drive my Blackwing year round. It is just a car, and it loves to be driven. I drive it in the inner city, I drive it to construction sites, I drive it in the cold/snow/rain/whatever. I love driving this car so much that in the 7 months I have owned it I have not taken my S2000 out one time.

For you guys who park/store yours all winter...I don't know how you do it. It's just too good.

Any winter car I've had has also been a fun car to varying degrees but I got rid of my last one for the BW.

I've had a 392 Wrangler, M3 Competition xDrive and a 6MT Integra as winter vehicles. The Wrangler was by far my favourite, unfortunately I couldn't keep it and the BW.

I won't drive the BW in snow though so I'm basically screwed next winter!

How does anyone else deal with parking their BW all winter long while driving a boring car.

I have always driven a sport sedan or coupe the last 15 yrs (3 series, m2) all year round. Sold my m2 during Covid due to dumb used car values and bought a boring ridgeline truck to haul the kids baseball junk, bikes, boat and not borrow my wife’s suv. I had my eye on G87 M2 as my other car but that didn’t pan out due to it being ugly and too bloated/tuned down. Gave up my #1 allocation and got a CT5 BW. But atlas the BW sits in the stall while we still have a chance for 4-6 inches of snow on Friday! What the hell!! Anyhow, thinking of trading in the truck for something that is more fun and can drive around all year long. Anyone else miserable driving around their boring car?? In MN, it would be like 5 months of driving a boring car every year. Wish there was a fun station wagon under 40k but can’t find anything besides maybe the new Prius prime which I heard might be pretty quick and get 50 mpg. Sometimes I wonder if I should just put winters on the BW and rip her around.

Nope, not bored. :) Problem solved multiple ways:
1. Bought a new Bronco (a little over $42k after all taxes/fees, just a tad over your $40k target) as a daily driver.
2. Moved to Georgia years ago, where we don't get winter (seriously). I don't even mind winter, but I do mind the way the roads are brutally assalted up north. Can drive the 5BW all year down here without that worry.
3. Kept the old '95 Integra, simple FWD, which works great in snow (having spent part of its life in Minnesota, coincidentally, as well as places with much more snow).

Both the Bronco and Integra are fun to drive, albeit in very different ways. Half the battle in avoiding a boring car is not buying one with an automatic transmission. Just my opinion.

Saw this helpful illustration on another forum. (Or was it this forum? I can't remember.) #savethemanuals
joy9vcfQSGI2s8wWGgQpoGcr-l5IcxSjP26jB_wE-J4C2hvqzhJzydcFw5X9rXUjun3BQUVq_oF81ZKeR7qClLSR8W2Ir8hL0UhOorfsiZhLwusMGP1xm3Bf8SMUU61Nz4oGgAXrdxzhu9NkdpDPsZZcoH13oT1MIdkAenJ1xp9Zdl44yss_FGwQei9-SM0EiA4C9U6y-gVKsIhGamxuZ_f_lnApwYSKbLEUIuEPeCBdZbaVNc5MI8velFdNFZnCX58rsKFkyU4I307bugPy5KvdkCrqIw2GZzGGkL_Wj5_tekRcDHSCDiKJPIgcwT1DCW_kEgdDE2at8zciR0hrJzj0G-Y-zoD8qP34GbFuHw3DfWGMdmGKQfFdoz4DW80WfW2mVJYw_XC0ARENxcTU6_tUV0qRgMGQ1e88XRqKn_Rql7Qkh9qJ3JpRmtrI38pKTf-lLt-Bi8YZ1tgR2BeLW3uKJbDhh2yH4GIY3UDrdVaPOlqmoafXAnwWJ0irU3Hvzl1-jG6Ym1uUbhzT245xBgQqQYYdpu0CvcthpET-rd-b-J3SVJZPnvsrMF49Po2L4-tmacHj38qgGXt8PuQsCIAWpaczder_t-7PMjGC18iJY0rlB-HDtY6raKwSmfAfMVtKFMDgxlSOHM3zjxKOeqZe6YsyKA2yJ9B6LNP25XAbolW85MPckFuWtykfIEPJmj-UxX59tF4IAuz-ucpMinVF0Z8mxVwlHeR5Q-vDj-5_K7slys6J5LRK5fjswO3HN4X_HQ3dhlZ_gfVCGj6lXvpLwdyhGxrqcaeglACY1LJbbkpMkoU2b5R4IzYqBtvwTmhJ8Lm_0pwc_AMZc8d4wmMb6mIGKgOGuYV1GtvD602qZnXtNngNGmyN2oSEEdRWNlybACWY4CWqzAhLjJ3q0HaHEqohjGoClz4b1ib-hsgbOA=w847-h655-s-no

Last edited:
I have other summer only cars and never looked negatively at putting them away for the winter. The way I figure every Spring is like experiencing the car all over again. I have to admit though, having this car parked in my garage with six miles on the odometer is driving me nuts! I literally drove it from the trailer up the driveway and into the garage where it has been parked for two months. I can't wait until they stop salting the roads so I can drive this thing!

I found that the ideal solution was also the simplest. Live in a year-round fair weather state, no boring cars required. I chose AZ.

Bonus - no need to shovel sunshine!

I found that the ideal solution was also the simplest. Live in a year-round fair weather state, no boring cars required. I chose AZ.

Bonus - no need to shovel sunshine!
I’ll never give up my place in Buffalo. While everyone else is either dealing with scorching heat or humidity or both in the summertime, we're here chilling with nice cool lake breezes! I lived in Tucson when I was in my twenties but I couldn't take the heat so I moved back. I do have siblings there so I'll probably eventually do the snowbird thing. Winters here are getting harder to deal with as I get older.

I’ll never give up my place in Buffalo. While everyone else is either dealing with scorching heat or humidity or both in the summertime, we're here chilling with nice cool lake breezes! I lived in Tucson when I was in my twenties but I couldn't take the heat so I moved back. I do have siblings there so I'll probably eventually do the snowbird thing. Winters here are getting harder to deal with as I get older.
If you couldn’t deal with Southern Arizona at that young an age it will only get worse with age. I grew up in Southern AZ and drove a Camaro with no AC and vinyl seats for around 8 years and never thought twice about it.

There is year around driving here, but I won’t take the car out on summer rainy days. The wind blows debris around like crazy, the water hides huge craters in the road, not to mention road flooding. I have a 9 year old Jeep for those days. And naturally it’s a 6-spd.

If you couldn’t deal with Southern Arizona at that young an age it will only get worse with age. I grew up in Southern AZ and drove a Camaro with no AC and vinyl seats for around 8 years and never thought twice about it.

There is year around driving here, but I won’t take the car out on summer rainy days. The wind blows debris around like crazy, the water hides huge craters in the road, not to mention road flooding. I have a 9 year old Jeep for those days. And naturally it’s a 6-spd.
Funny you say that. I moved there with my twin brother when when we were twenty two. He claims that if I stuck it out awhile longer I would have become acclaimed. I have noticed that my siblings are happy to visit in the summer when it's too hot to do anything there. I really think six months here and six months there would be great if I can pull that off.

WRX with winter tires is pretty hard to beat in snow/ice conditions as long as it's not too deep. Too bad the new ones are butt ugly. My 06 served me well though many snowy/icey winters when I lived further north. Nokian tires are awesome.

Now I live in Texas so I just don't worry about it 😁 We have an AWD Sienna for the few days it gets icey here (and for ski trips to the mountains in NM). It looks better than the new WRX too! Gets great gas mileage for the size (32+) and the clearance is a bit better with the Woodlands edition.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners