Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Apple Ipods not connecting via USB

Neveready

Seasoned Member
i have an apple Ipod 6th gen 80 gig, an Ipod 7th Gen (last gen) 160 Classic and a Nano 4th Gen. I tried 2 cords and neither of them seem to play music. I go to click in the devices screen or the more screen and I see spotify, Bluetooth, FM,AM, Android Auto etc. but nothing relating to usb.

Is there some other way to connect it or do i have an issue?

Apple carplay is compatible with iphones and not ipods.
Newer GM infotainment does not support ipods like the older ones did.
You can however play music via bluetooth - it looks like the 6th and 7th gen have bluetooth and should work.

See if you can enable USB Mass Storage Mode on the iPod. That is probably the only way it would mount over a USB port in the car. In that mode they would become regular USB thumb drives, you would use the car radio to browse, not the iPod.

If you hold down play and menu for 6 sec then the apple symbol comes up and you immediately hold down play and select disc mode comes up. Unfortunately it didn't allow me to play music.

I guess I'll have to get a Bluetooth adapter which is defeating since my Bluetooth disconnects all the time, hence why I tried cables.

I also can't seem to connect just the cable to my cell phone without Bluetooth constantly intervening.

I tried an older gen iPod loaded with my library and it would not recognize it. I think it is a 3rd or 4th gen. I then took a newer one from my 2020 Sierra, a think a 5th gen, and it works fine connected to the Blackwing's USB. The older one works fine in the Sierra. I like having them wired in.

I tried an older gen iPod loaded with my library and it would not recognize it. I think it is a 3rd or 4th gen. I then took a newer one from my 2020 Sierra, a think a 5th gen, and it works fine connected to the Blackwing's USB. The older one works fine in the Sierra. I like having them wired in.
That's so weird, I have a 5th and 6th gen and nothing worked. It also didn't work in my 2022 Mazda so I guess I'm out of luck.

I'm using a 32 GB USB 3.1 flash drive I bought at the local Microcenter for under $4 and it holds all my music. Also got a short cord on Amazon so it doesn't stick out in the console. I'm happy with the radio control/selection for it. I'm not so happy with that combo in my 2022 Honda Ridgeline. You can't pause or mute the music when playing USB in that. I think that's a pretty important feature and the BW does that. If I recall, though, in the BW you can't search for songs while moving which is a drag. I think it will allow when stopped.

Last edited:
I'm using a 32 GB USB 3.1 flash drive I bought at the local Microcenter for under $4 and it holds all my music. Also got a short cord on Amazon so it doesn't stick out in the console. I'm happy with the radio control/selection for it. I'm not so happy with that combo in my 2022 Honda Ridgeline. You can't pause or mute the music when playing USB in that. I think that's a pretty important feature and the BW does that. If I recall, though, in the BW you can't search for songs while moving which is a drag. I think it will allow when stopped.
Pretty sure you can tell it what to play by voice command. It won't let you search on the screen when moving.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back