Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Anyone switch from a V8 AMG to a CT5 Blackwing?

Very well put. Even here in the SF Bay Area, I have only ever seen ONE other 5BW whereas I'll see a new M5 or E63 every week. Most people don't know what the hell a Blackwing is, but if 1) they're a true car nut, or 2) they hear the thing, they freak out and know it's something truly special.

I had my heart set on an E63 Wagon before the Blackwing came out. Eventually test drove one and while it didn't disappoint me, it also didn't get under my skin like the Blackwing did. The driving dynamics, manual, and general attitude about the Blackwing make it much more memorable.

While the interior of the E63 was certainly much nicer and "fancier", for me this is a family car which includes my kid, so the Blackwing is already almost "too nice". What I DO appreciate over the Germans is the usefulness of the technology. Instead of touch-sensitive "buttons" on the steering wheel, color-changing mood lighting, and speakers that needlessly move up and down when you start the car (you know, "fancy" stuff), the Blackwing's tech is actually useful and appreciated day to day. The rear camera mirror that's super-high res and eliminates blind spots, the wireless Apple/Android connectivity, the hard buttons for all HVAC and most driver assistance features, the quick and responsive touchscreen... the stuff just works, and that's more meaningful to me.

Oh and yeah, the ride IS way better and it won't depreciate like a rock a la the Germans. And I wasn't looking forward to owning a Mercedes air suspension and turbo V8 out of warranty...
100% on the stuff just works and I don't have to think about it when pushing the buttons.

Back in 2020 I bought a C63S coupe for a weekend driver. Missed the manual transmission so I bought a 1995 M3 last year and currently have both cars. When I'm driving the M3 I'm missing the power of the AMG, and when I'm driving the AMG I'm missing the engagement of the manual.

I'm currently contemplating selling both and getting a CT5 Blackwing. Anyone here move from a "more refined" German competitor into a Blackwing? The interior does seem to be a bit of a knock against the car, but does anyone really notice when you're really driving the car the way it's intended? And there's definitely more of a "cool factor" around the AMG, at least in my opinion.

Anyone here make a similar trade?
Had a '19 C63S for a few years, nice car, was my DD sucked in the winter, so I got rid of it. Build quality was good, no rattles, AMG does a nice job with tuning in sport mode + exhaust gets snotty. If it wasn't for the brakes no one would know what I was driving. Yes, interior was nice, not as nice as my Audi S5 but close enough.

The 5BW is an entirely different story. I got rid of my GT500 as I wanted something that would fly under the radar and be as much fun as the Shelby. Mission accomplished! I didn't buy the blackwing to look at the interior, just needed something that was comfortable, I bought it to bang fucking gears, and yet cruise into a board meeting, "under cover." For me, the BW exhibits sounds only found from a SC V8, similar to the GT500 but better. Yes, the cabin is a bit muted, however just crack the rear windows down while cruising around town and you will be all smiles! The BW handling is in another stratosphere compared with the C63S which felt "wobbly" during triple digits in Mexico of course.

Moral to the story- the BW interior gets it done, nice and comfortable, plenty of room. It's the rest of the car that will absolutely put fucking smiles on your face all day every day, no exceptions. And if you're like me, spinning the tires into triple digits when you're in the mood = priceless!

Good luck bud!

Had a '19 C63S for a few years, nice car, was my DD sucked in the winter, so I got rid of it. Build quality was good, no rattles, AMG does a nice job with tuning in sport mode + exhaust gets snotty. If it wasn't for the brakes no one would know what I was driving. Yes, interior was nice, not as nice as my Audi S5 but close enough.

The 5BW is an entirely different story. I got rid of my GT500 as I wanted something that would fly under the radar and be as much fun as the Shelby. Mission accomplished! I didn't buy the blackwing to look at the interior, just needed something that was comfortable, I bought it to bang fucking gears, and yet cruise into a board meeting, "under cover." For me, the BW exhibits sounds only found from a SC V8, similar to the GT500 but better. Yes, the cabin is a bit muted, however just crack the rear windows down while cruising around town and you will be all smiles! The BW handling is in another stratosphere compared with the C63S which felt "wobbly" during triple digits in Mexico of course.

Moral to the story- the BW interior gets it done, nice and comfortable, plenty of room. It's the rest of the car that will absolutely put fucking smiles on your face all day every day, no exceptions. And if you're like me, spinning the tires into triple digits when you're in the mood = priceless!

Good luck bud!
Thanks, that would basically be my exact scenario. You're relatively close to me, any chance you know a dealer around here at MSRP? So far all I'm getting is local dealers telling me $10k, $15k, and $20k markups.

Hah, I know there's a few sport sedans to potentially achieve that title but as far as modern cars go (the last 10 years) the 5BW manual is basically in a dead heat for first place against the M5 CS, according to a few people and publications but the M5 costs 50k more and doesn't have a manual so for many people its an easy decision.

Every other sedan ever made comes second.
I could probably go with that - I have read some of the reviews too - but I think the BW is more visceral. I've never driven an M5 of any sort, but my understanding is that the CS is almost too 'perfect' - which makes it a bit less fun. But I would agree that everything else is a far distant second.

Good luck bud!
'triple digits in Mexico, of course' :boogie:boogie:boogie

Thanks, that would basically be my exact scenario. You're relatively close to me, any chance you know a dealer around here at MSRP? So far all I'm getting is local dealers telling me $10k, $15k, and $20k markups.
wow - dealers are still charging markups? I thought sanity had returned...but apparently not?

I could probably go with that - I have read some of the reviews too - but I think the BW is more visceral. I've never driven an M5 of any sort, but my understanding is that the CS is almost too 'perfect' - which makes it a bit less fun. But I would agree that everything else is a far distant second.
I drove an M5 Comp which was nice but almost "too perfect" ...never driven the CS of course but all reviews say it's a bit more visceral vs the Comp.

wow - dealers are still charging markups? I thought sanity had returned...but apparently not?
Apparently the ones I'm talking to are, and they're talking about the car like they're doing me a favor by only charing $10k extra. Really makes me remember why I hate dealers. Talked to 5 or 6 and not one is at MSRP. The closest I've found so far is a $2.5k markup.

Apparently the ones I'm talking to are, and they're talking about the car like they're doing me a favor by only charing $10k extra. Really makes me remember why I hate dealers. Talked to 5 or 6 and not one is at MSRP. The closest I've found so far is a $2.5k markup.
Keep shopping. No one should pay above sticker. Sewell in Texas is the favorite here.

Keep shopping. No one should pay above sticker. Sewell in Texas is the favorite here.
Yeah that's my plan. Going to wait it out and see what I can find, this isn't anything urgent to me. I'm happy in my C63S for the time being, but if I find a dealer at sticker I'll jump on it.

Sure… in a perfect world there would be no dealer markup... maybe even a discount from MSRP. But the reality is that most dealers charge a markup on limited quantity high demand vehicles during the best of times. We are nowhere close to the best of times right now, and that won’t change in the foreseeable future.

And a handful of dealers do sell at MSRP, but unless you have a great connection or great luck those deals are almost always for someone else.

IMO it’s better to pay a small markup… in the scheme of things paying $2500 is far better than missing out on a car you really want. The pain quickly fades…

Yeah that's my plan. Going to wait it out and see what I can find, this isn't anything urgent to me. I'm happy in my C63S for the time being, but if I find a dealer at sticker I'll jump on it.
ping Tony Saxon at Bergey's Cadillac in Plymouth Meeting, PA. They used to be Armen, who was family run, GREAT to work with and only sold at MSRP. Not sure about the new regime, but worth a call. Tell him JIm sent you - 22 White 5BW

Sure… in a perfect world there would be no dealer markup... maybe even a discount from MSRP. But the reality is that most dealers charge a markup on limited quantity high demand vehicles during the best of times. We are nowhere close to the best of times right now, and that won’t change in the foreseeable future.

And a handful of dealers do sell at MSRP, but unless you have a great connection or great luck those deals are almost always for someone else.

IMO it’s better to pay a small markup… in the scheme of things paying $2500 is far better than missing out on a car you really want. The pain quickly fades…
the $2,500 could be less than the price increase

Like I said, no one should pay above sticker for a car. I didn't for my 5 from a mid level dealer. Took delivery December '21.

Speaking of best of times/worst of times, a new '23 5BW just sold on C&B's for $150 under the sticker: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing - 6-Speed Manual, 668-hp Supercharged V8, Highly Optioned

Like I said, no one should pay above sticker for a car.

I agree, but a lot of factors... amongst them: timing, desire, new model year...

This technically is NOT new, but like new. Looks like it was bought to flip (I am dubious on their excuses) and that didn't work out for seller.
Also this person doesn't get Spring Mountain experience... unless they want to shell out another ~4k

This was a preowned vehicle with about 100 miles on the odo. Might be good as new (or better since it was ceramic coated)…or maybe not. For a car like this I prefer to be the first driver other than delivery miles. But that’s just me…

King O'Rouke in St. James ask for Howie Meadows, tell him Brian recommended him. MSRP!
They had 7 allocations last year. Good luck!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back