Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 5BW v. 4BW

CT5-V Model
If my 5BW didn't come with a six-speed manual, I wouldn't have bought it. Period. As nice as the chassis, suspension, brakes, etc. are, if I needed an automatic luxury sports sedan, I'd have seriously considered an M5, E63, RS7/8, etc. before the 5BW.

If my 5BW didn't come with a six-speed manual, I wouldn't have bought it. Period. As nice as the chassis, suspension, brakes, etc. are, if I needed an automatic luxury sports sedan, I'd have seriously considered an M5, E63, RS7/8, etc. before the 5BW.
same. i'm only here because i finally need manual back in my life and am trading in my S6 for a 4bw

IDK, I think the 10 speed is a huge improvement over the old 8. Shifts are almost invisible. It kicks down in a spilt second for passing. In track mode, I do know my 4 never got above 8th, even at 60-70 mph. Drive it in track. I think you'd be surprised how much better response it has.
Agreed, I have owned both and the A10 was a significant improvement. I don't think it needs 10 gears, 8 would be suffice but the improved programming and shifting performance of the A10 makes it much better.

No one wants the A8 as it's an utter POS. I'm not saying all of them are but many have had numerous issues and replacements. There's a reason there is a class action law suit.

A10 is a "great" transmission for someone who wants an automatic but it's a definite no for me.
My 2016 Camaro SS was one of those that shuddered down the road at less than 5000 miles. The transmission was decent unfortunately GM screwed up with the fluid and destroyed thousands of torque converters before they figured the right fluid to use. The A10 is the actual fix.

Last edited:
A10 is a "great" transmission for someone who wants an automatic but it's a definite no for me.
I'm of the same mind...but to each their own.

Not related but it came to mind reading this....back in the day I used to say that a Prius is a perfectly fine car for someone who might otherwise drive a Camry....now I say: A Tesla 3 is a fine car for someone who might otherwise drive a Prius...

Agreed, I have owned both and the A10 was a significant improvement. I don't think it needs 10 gears, 8 would be suffice but the improved programming and shifting performance of the A10 makes it much better.
There are reasons as to why GM has gone back to the 8speed. Yes, the original caused many problems but their failure rate is pretty nonexistent.

The A10 in my 4BW was awesome, and the M6 in my 5BW is awesome, but the 4 was more enjoyable to drive for ME... I cant remember who said it, but Super Cruse is bad to the bone!

Back on topic, we all should celebrate that the Blackwings come in both A10 and M6! Thanks Tony and Brandon!

Love my supercruise in my silverado, have yet to see a BW with it installed, seems loose the cf1 and 2 option when build one with it. Have been searching inventory also have not come across one with it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3962.jpeg
    IMG_3962.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 33
The A10 in my 4BW was awesome, and the M6 in my 5BW is awesome, but the 4 was more enjoyable to drive for ME... I cant remember who said it, but Super Cruse is bad to the bone!

Back on topic, we all should celebrate that the Blackwings come in both A10 and M6! Thanks Tony and Brandon!
ray donovan GIF by Showtime

Love my supercruise in my silverado, have yet to see a BW with it installed, seems loose the cf1 and 2 option when build one with it. Have been searching inventory also have not come across one with it yet.
Hey what engine you have in the truck?

There are reasons as to why GM has gone back to the 8speed. Yes, the original caused many problems but their failure rate is pretty nonexistent.

Having a 8speed in my sierra with the 6.2 versus a 10speed in my escalade v, I highly prefer the 8 to the 10. The 10 is really busy under 45mph, shifting from 1-5 cresting on gear 6 in that mph range then you blend off to gear 8-9-10 for overdrive 70-80 mph. ITs just simply too much shifting you can't stay in a gear and really work into the throttle to massage out any acceleration. You push 2 mm more then the car wants to down shift since the ratios are so tight. Its just so much constant shuffling through gears.

That being said I really thought the 8 speed was the perfect sweet spot of having just enough gears for overdrive and being able to use and enjoy the drivetrain like you really wanted to .

to get back on topic I'm here solely because the 5bw is offered in a manual trans. Its SO good.

Having a 8speed in my sierra with the 6.2 versus a 10speed in my escalade v, I highly prefer the 8 to the 10. The 10 is really busy under 45mph, shifting from 1-5 cresting on gear 6 in that mph range then you blend off to gear 8-9-10 for overdrive 70-80 mph. ITs just simply too much shifting you can't stay in a gear and really work into the throttle to massage out any acceleration. You push 2 mm more then the car wants to down shift since the ratios are so tight. Its just so much constant shuffling through gears.

That being said I really thought the 8 speed was the perfect sweet spot of having just enough gears for overdrive and being able to use and enjoy the drivetrain like you really wanted to .

to get back on topic I'm here solely because the 5bw is offered in a manual trans. Its SO good.
Very nice observation! If you were to tell an engineer and a smart engineer that you were going to build a 10spd to replace the current 8spd in production he/she probably wouldn't take very long to process in their head "WHY"

Your explanation is why! After it's all added up the money/savings just isn't there.

The 6pds in the HD's when they first came out did the same thing at Hwy speeds....up/down...up/down...then if it was flat and low elevation with slight headwind....up/down...up/down...so annoying! My 8speed has none of that CRAP!
Granted it's got it's quirks but the shifting is never up/down or all around at any speed.

I prefer 8 gears as well but with the improvements in shift programming and speed that the A10 delivers.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back