Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

5BW Owners, should i trade in IS500 for 5BW

undefined

My EDD 5BW (Manual) is 11/24/2022....I am trying to think about how should i purchase this car.
Currently my garage is C8 3LT Z51 (track car: 10 days per year) , VW GTI Manual (errand car) and my wife's IS500 Launch Edition, and 992 GTS Manual to be delivered March (EU delivery).
We can only have four cars in the household (actually 3 according to my wife); one of our cars have to go.
Current plan is we trade in IS500 LE for 5BW, this makes sense financially and logically (dont really need two V8 Sedan in the household). I am posting this to seek advice from 5BW owners; I can also trade in GTI for this, feel like we have too many manual cars, and I am afraid I will never have a chance to buy another IS500 LE. If I do this. I feel like we (me mainly) spending too much money on cars; I need to start to think about baby's expense soon...

I know it is YMMV. But I am bored at work, any suggestions are welcome...;)

5BW 6-speed could easily take the place of the IS and GTI if you don't mind putting some miles on it!

I'm in a somewhat similar circumstance with even more cars...first world problems eh?

I have 11 motorcycles and (4) of them are similar track only options, so I get splitting hairs. However, when it comes to cars I go for the least amount that will do the most for the family but still compelling fun options.

I think your too heavy on niche track/limited practicality rigs. The 5BW easily trumps the GTI and IS500 and then you need to decide between the GTS and C8.

I would for sure add a Costco truck (4 door crew cab short bed 1/2 ton) for the all around errand rig.

If you really are having a baby, you'll need to consider a high performance SUV. Here is my take: C8, 5BW, Truck, and hi-po SUV and you have a nice balanced stable of rigs that are all fun to drive (I'm assuming your truck will be a RAM TRX)

I've driven an IS500 and have a 5BW on order, but haven't driven one yet. My question is, what does the IS500 provide that the 5BW doesn't? I get the whole V8 sedan, end of an era thing with the IS but obviously the 5BW addresses the too, with a manual. I'm pretty sure the BW is more comfortable and roomier as well. I guess I'm trying to think of scenarios where you'd grab the Lexus key instead of the Cadillac one.

I have 11 motorcycles and (4) of them are similar track only options, so I get splitting hairs. However, when it comes to cars I go for the least amount that will do the most for the family but still compelling fun options.

I think your too heavy on niche track/limited practicality rigs. The 5BW easily trumps the GTI and IS500 and then you need to decide between the GTS and C8.

I would for sure add a Costco truck (4 door crew cab short bed 1/2 ton) for the all around errand rig.

If you really are having a baby, you'll need to consider a high performance SUV. Here is my take: C8, 5BW, Truck, and hi-po SUV and you have a nice balanced stable of rigs that are all fun to drive (I'm assuming your truck will be a RAM TRX)
that is a good idea to replace both GtI and IS500. i had a F86 X6M before, that car is rocket in a straight line with AWD and 580HP. i sold it after two and half years: i barely used that horsepower for a SUV, feel like waste of money. If i ever want to buy another big SUV, i will probably buy a used moderate horsepower one considering no one would abuse a family car (hopefully),

Naturally the BW is the superior choice to the IS500 however the IS500 is also special, its just not as special as the BW but that doesn't mean it has to go.

For me (if you can keep 4 cars) I'd get rid of the GTI for the BW, and keep the IS500, C8 and upcoming 911.

Obviously your priorities are all dependant on use case, the GTI is obviously usable because of the hatch where as the others aren't as usable so if thats something that is needed then the IS500 would be the default choice.

However If you want a track car, a usable car (hatch) and then 1 or 2 special cars I'd also consider selling the C8 and using the 911 as the track car and keeping the IS500 if you feel its still a special car even though it would be overshadowed by the BW.

A baby complicates things as well. Maybe sell the IS500 and GTI and buy a performance wagon or SUV (or a Type R?) For the practicality and errand running and then keep the 911, BW and C8.

There's choices I guess. I'd probably rather drive the 992 GTS manual even on track vs the C8 so these two cars might end up filling to similar a role just like the IS500 and BW. I'd probably sell the C8 for the 911, get the BW, keep the IS500 for your wife and keep the GTI or sell the GTi and or IS500 for a bigger and better baby vehicle.

Other than the fact that the IS 500 has a V-8 engine, everything else about it is more comparable to the 4 Blackwing. From the starting price to horsepower to size, that’s it’s direct competitor. The 5 Blackwing blows it away.

Other than the fact that the IS 500 has a V-8 engine, everything else about it is more comparable to the 4 Blackwing. From the starting price to horsepower to size, that’s it’s direct competitor. The 5 Blackwing blows it away.

This^

The 5BW has much more interior space and trunk space which is definitely needed with a child on the way.

You say you are worried you won't have a chance to buy another IS500 LE, why is this car so special to you? I do like Lexus and their V8 however to me the IS is an aging car with a reskinned body work but now available with a V8 (cool, what is not cool is the automatic transmission). Knowing Lexus, they will milk the V8 a few more years and offer other "special editions".

In a word...."YES"

I've have not driven an IS500, but have driven IS350. Fun little car. Size wise, I'd say it was small. I think smaller than a CT4. There's no comparison IMO of the IS500 to a 5BW. With a baby on the way, the 5 will give you more room than the 500. I agree with getting some kind of ute. Babies come with way too much crap.

If your GTI is a Mk7 and especially with a PP, keep it - I regret getting rid of mine as an 'errand car' daily. If it's a Mk8 then dump it, just for the haptic controls and infotainment alone :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness the Lexus is the right car to switch out in that garage (awesome lineup BTW) but the 5BW won't have the refinement of the Lexus, so it depends on whether that's important to you.

I hate to say it, but you have track covered with the C8, the 911 is going to cover canyons and fun street driving, the GTI does errands, so that leaves a spot for a nice 'touring' car and/or 'family' car - and the Lexus might be a better fit.

For me the 5BW would be a better fit for a 2 car garage where it covers track, canyons and touring and you have another beater type car for errands.

It comes down to the "love" factor your wife has for the Lexus. If she doesnt care, roll it, if she does, move the GTI.

I just sold my C8HTCZ51, replaced it with a GT4RS. Plan on keeping the BW5. I daily an Audi EtronGT. I let me wife pick what she wants... happy wife, happy life...

Just flip a coin or get rid of the wife. LOL

The IS500 isn't a full fledged performance car. It's an IS350 with an engine upgrade. The ISF was a full fledged model.

The BlackWings are on a different level. Look at the Lightning Lap VIR results of the 500 vs the 4/5 BW.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back