Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2014 Cadillac CTS-V to Get a Force-Fed LT1 Engine?

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
Not Yet!

Rob Loszewski, Site Administrator
Cadillac V-Net
February 17, 2013

138d1361107552-2014-cadillac-cts-v-get-force-fed-lt1-engine-2014chevroletcorvette_47.jpg

Motor Trend is reporting that according to their contacts, the next generation 2014 Cadillac CTS-V could be getting some form of a forced induction Gen V LT1 Engine.

The Gen V LT1 just debuted on the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray, and in naturally aspirated form, puts out 450hp and 450lb-ft of torque.

Supposedly, GM has not made a final decision as to whether they will go the twin-turbo charged or supercharged route, however one form or the other will appear in the CTS-V.

I'll stick my neck out on a limb here and say that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a combination of the Gen V LT1 with some form of the Eaton Roots-Type Supercharger, currently used on the 2013 Corvette ZR1. Now THAT would be a screamer!

Attachments

• 2014ChevroletCorvette_47.jpg
    2014ChevroletCorvette_47.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 4,601

Rob Loszewski, Site Administrator
Cadillac V-Net
February 17, 2013

138d1361107552-2014-cadillac-cts-v-get-force-fed-lt1-engine-2014chevroletcorvette_47.jpg

Motor Trend is reporting that according to their contacts, the next generation 2014 Cadillac CTS-V could be getting some form of a forced induction Gen V LT1 Engine.

The Gen V LT1 just debuted on the 2014 C7 Corvette Stingray, and in naturally aspirated form, puts out 450hp and 450lb-ft of torque.

Supposedly, GM has not made a final decision as to whether they will go the twin-turbo charged or supercharged route, however one form or the other will appear in the CTS-V.

I'll stick my neck out on a limb here and say that I wouldn't be surprised if we see a combination of the Gen V LT1 with some form of the Eaton Roots-Type Supercharger, currently used on the 2013 Corvette ZR1. Now THAT would be a screamer!

I hope you are right about the Eaton. I'm not a big fan of turbos.

Supercharger in the 2015 CTS-V

I agree - I have a 2013 CTS-V here in Europe and the flow of power is phenomenal. I hit 303 kmh (188 in funny money) somewhere outside of Munich a few weeks ago. But it cruises all day long between 200-250 kmh without a problem. I dont like turbos either.

Turbo- or super-charged -- either way is okay with me - so long as the "turbo-lag" is as close to zero as possible. One thing I like about the supercharger is the zero lag when asking for power.

I think the turbo would provide better gas mileage compared to a supercharged engine with the same overall power.

My last experience with turbo cars was my Grand National Buick. Nice rice but the boost lag took some getting used to. With the GN, I needed to plan ahead if I wanted the power now instead of a half a second from now.

Haven't driven one of the new Vsports yet but plan on doing that when the dealer has one they are willing to let me drive. I'd like to see, personally, how the newer turbo systems work.

My previous supercharged car was a Buick Regal GS and it felt pretty good - power was always there - just not all that much in 1999.

My V Wagon is a blast to drive with the supercharged engine.

One last comment - I think the CTS V3 will be called a 2015 model though. If GM is still trying to figure out whether to turbo or super, the V3 will not make it to the showroom until next calendar year and they will call it a 2015.

Last edited:
Turbo- or super-charged -- either way is okay with me - so long as the "turbo-lag" is as close to zero as possible. One thing I like about the supercharger is the zero lag when asking for power.

I think the turbo would provide better gas mileage compared to a supercharged engine with the same overall power.

My last experience with turbo cars was my Grand National Buick. Nice rice but the boost lag took some getting used to. With the GN, I needed to plan ahead if I wanted the power now instead of a half a second from now.

Haven't driven one of the new Vsports yet but plan on doing that when the dealer has one they are willing to let me drive. I'd like to see, personally, how the newer turbo systems work.

My previous supercharged car was a Buick Regal GS and it felt pretty good - power was always there - just not all that much in 1999.

My V Wagon is a blast to drive with the supercharged engine.

One last comment - I think the CTS V3 will be called a 2015 model though. If GM is still trying to figure out whether to turbo or super, the V3 will not make it to the showroom until next calendar year and they will call it a 2015.

I think your point is well taken and is the issue we and the manufacturers are all grappling with - the supercharger is more satisfying all else being equal but all else aint equal cuz it guzzles more than a turbo but a turbo lags.

I think your point is well taken and is the issue we and the manufacturers are all grappling with - the supercharger is more satisfying all else being equal but all else aint equal cuz it guzzles more than a turbo but a turbo lags.

You know how to counter turbolag???? Downshift... Turbo would be more fuel efficient and easier to make big power.. I wouldn't mind a turbo as I am more familiar with how they work. I know almost nothing about superchargers... Well.. I get the gist of it. But if you asked me to rebuild one I'd be lost. bUT I can piece together a turbo on any vehicle.

You know how to counter turbolag???? Downshift... Turbo would be more fuel efficient and easier to make big power.. I wouldn't mind a turbo as I am more familiar with how they work. I know almost nothing about superchargers... Well.. I get the gist of it. But if you asked me to rebuild one I'd be lost. bUT I can piece together a turbo on any vehicle.

But what if you are driving an automatic?

But what if you are driving an automatic?

When driving: Down shift it also (with the paddles if it's got them) so the engine is at an RPM where lag is vitually zero. Then punch it. Worked on my Grand National many years ago.

At a stop light: Hold the brake and bring in throttle until you see a little boost then side step the brake peddle.

When driving: Down shift it also (with the paddles if it's got them) so the engine is at an RPM where lag is vitually zero. Then punch it. Worked on my Grand National many years ago.

At a stop light: Hold the brake and bring in throttle until you see a little boost then side step the brake peddle.

I know there are ways to juice the throttle to get the effect but its not something you are going to do constantly in daily driving- which is why they came up with the idea of a bi-turbo - all gets very complicated which is why supercharging is such an elegant solution except for the gas consumption.

I know there are ways to juice the throttle to get the effect but its not something you are going to do constantly in daily driving- which is why they came up with the idea of a bi-turbo - all gets very complicated which is why supercharging is such an elegant solution except for the gas consumption.

If you start with a big enough engine then turbo it, the displacement mitigates the lag some. Twin-turbos are a big help also as 2 small turbos take a lot less time to spool up and the lag is much reduced.

Back in WWII, the big piston engine fighters sometimes had turbo-supercharged engines with the turbo feeding the supercharger - complex but it provided the power needed for high altitude work. The fighter pilots probably didnt' notice any lag as they never let those engines idle except on the ground.

If you start with a big enough engine then turbo it, the displacement mitigates the lag some. Twin-turbos are a big help also as 2 small turbos take a lot less time to spool up and the lag is much reduced.

Back in WWII, the big piston engine fighters sometimes had turbo-supercharged engines with the turbo feeding the supercharger - complex but it provided the power needed for high altitude work. The fighter pilots probably didnt' notice any lag as they never let those engines idle except on the ground.

What you say is logical and I agree -

we also have to remember these are not the same turbo's as yesteryear.... no more journal bearing turbo's... we have ball bearing twin scrolls now a days. They spool up a hell of a lot faster now a days. Hell even the awesome gt35r turbo has been replaced by the newer gtx35r. I've expirenced turbo lag... And you would when you put a large turbo on a small engine (gt35r on 4g63). Large turbo on large engine (6.2l) would just be fun.

we also have to remember these are not the same turbo's as yesteryear.... no more journal bearing turbo's... we have ball bearing twin scrolls now a days. They spool up a hell of a lot faster now a days. Hell even the awesome gt35r turbo has been replaced by the newer gtx35r. I've expirenced turbo lag... And you would when you put a large turbo on a small engine (gt35r on 4g63). Large turbo on large engine (6.2l) would just be fun.

If you say so. Your technical knowledge far surpasses my seat of the pants....

As much as I enjoy the feeling of high boost at low rpm that a positive displacement blower gives, the down stream components (clutch, trans, rear end) don't like it. I speak from the experience of building hot rods and engines, and if those down stream components can handle and give good longevity for a 600 hp positive displacement blower set up, they would offer the same reliability at 800 hp on a turbo engine. A centrifugal compressor is very linear in boost build up, thus the drivetrain doesn't have to handle the low rpm torque of the PD blower. A turbo also converts wasted heat energy for driving the compressor instead of using the engine's power to spin the compressor, so improved fuel mileage. Modern waste gated smaller turbos with ceramic blades offer less inertia thus less lag in spooling up.

So, my ideal V would be one that weighs in at <3000 lbs, and turbo charged. Weight is the real enemy for performance, next to my Track-T my V is the slow and mellow car. The Track-T sports 526 hp @ 5700 rpm but only weighs 1790 lbs. An honest 9 second street driven car with a decent idle and good street manners. If it weighed 3500 lbs and could still do a 9.7, then it would have a crappy idle and nasty street manners due to the engine needing to be built to over 1000 hp.

Shave the weight, don't need as much hp.

I wish there were more information on the 3rd gen V. Release date would be nice to know. I know when they come out there will be plenty of v2's for sale.. but I just cant wait that long. Anything less than a v8 would be a fail

Lt4, 620 hp, 650 tq

GM/Chevy inadvertantly leaked a couple of numbers on the new LT4 supercharged engine for the 2015 ZO6 Corvette - 620 HP and 650 #-Ft of torque.

If this is the engine the CTS V3 gets, that will be something.

GM/Chevy inadvertantly leaked a couple of numbers on the new LT4 supercharged engine for the 2015 ZO6 Corvette - 620 HP and 650 #-Ft of torque.

If this is the engine the CTS V3 gets, that will be something.

Thats a lot of power. More than I need. I wont be able to afford one new. I'll just buy the v2 and rock that for a few years lol

Thats a lot of power. More than I need. I wont be able to afford one new. I'll just buy the v2 and rock that for a few years lol

"Need" has nothing to do with it for me - it's more of a "Want".

Horsepower is addictive. :rocker:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners