Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V What to get after blackwing? <55K USD

Cadillac CT4-V model
My grandson just got a Genesis G70 Sport Prestige. It is an absolute blast to drive. Food for thought. šŸ¤”

View attachment 25781 View attachment 25782 View attachment 25784
This is not in the same category as a Blackwing. It is a nice car and I considered buying one, but it is too anemic for me. Also, there aren't enough Genesis dealers around. Hyundai dealerships can probably do most of the service work, but I am not sure about warranty work.

I envy your dilemma - I really need the backseats for now, but would love to trade up at some point for a Cayman 4.0 or GT4 (of course those are a lot more expensive). If you're looking at Camaros, some lightly used ZL1s are kinda starting to approach your price point. C7 Grand Sport would be another option. Personal preference, but I'd probably take a lightly used Mach1 (or GT350, but reliability is a concern) over a new Mustang GT. Good luck!

Not sure I would go from the 4BW to Camaro SS 1LE. I have owned both as well as a ZL1. The only benefit of the Camaro SS 1LE would be the V8 exhaust note. The rest is a downgrade including the tech, visibility, practically, trunk opening, seating position, etc. The 4BW has a better dash cluster, the mag ride 4.0 is better as you can actuality feel a difference between the modes, nicer interior, steering wheel, V-Mode, features, etc. The performance between the 4BW and SS1LE is very similar. Many refer to the 4BW as the 4 door Camaro SS 1LE with a TTV6.

I would try something different. A lighter weight car will offer a lot of fun on the street. Miata is the best but if you can't fit then a GR86 is quite fun to hoon around town. C7 Corvettes are nice but not much performance difference vs. the 4BW unless you go for a Z06. My 4BW is just as quick as my C7 GrandSport.

Dodge Scat Packs and Hellcats are just ok, engine is cool but too big and handling blows compared to 4BW and then you get Dodge reliability and fuel costs. GR Corolla sounds fun but $45k-50k for a Corolla is hard to get your head around. Both the Honda Civic Type R and Acura Integra cost too much for front wheel drive and they are just Civics at the end of the day. Supra is ok if you are a BMW fan. Mustang feels like a downgrade compared to a 4BW as well with that bolted on dash display. Again similar performance to your 4BW.

The reality is that the 4BW is a such a great performance car since it does so many things well. Cadillac just has a branding problem.

I will probably get flamed for this but the new Tesla Model 3 Performance is a great bang for the buck now. $53k minus 7,500 tax credit if you qualify. 0-60mph in 2.9, includes adaptive dampers and sports seats now, big brakes, track modes. Instant torque is great and they are pretty nimble with the LCG battery. Depreciation has been pretty bad but at this price the performance and tech are hard to beat.

OP - have you owned or test driven many cars? The reason I ask is that even for a very jaded person like me, who has owned and driven so much hot metal over the last 30 years, the 4BW is still one of the best driver's cars I've ever driven. If you like the driving dynamics of your car (i.e. steering speed and precision, the locked-down but not punishing suspension, excellent manual transmission, etc), I think anything else you drive is going to be a bit of a letdown. I owned a 2021 Civic Type R and have tested the new Integra Type S and those are the closest cars I would point you towards. The FWD is almost invisible at anything but full throttle in 1st and 2nd, the chassis precision is maybe even better than the 4BW, they will depreciate very slowly (if at all), and they are Hondas so they will last forever.

Trust me - I get wanting to try different cars very regularly (I currently own 4 high performance cars and am constantly plotting my next move!). But you might not be understanding how special your 4BW is unless you actually go test drive things.

Man if I was to sell my CT5VB, I think my only option would be a porsche. I've had just about everything else. Plus it would have to be manual so options are limited already

Lexus RCF could be an option if you want something a little different and with a great character V8. Also should be good on the reliability and depreciation side.

Lotus Evora may be interesting too and technically is a +2 with manual option. Toyota powertrain though otherwise cant speak to reliability. Shouldn't take much of a depreciation hit on that either though

OP - have you owned or test driven many cars? The reason I ask is that even for a very jaded person like me, who has owned and driven so much hot metal over the last 30 years, the 4BW is still one of the best driver's cars I've ever driven. If you like the driving dynamics of your car (i.e. steering speed and precision, the locked-down but not punishing suspension, excellent manual transmission, etc), I think anything else you drive is going to be a bit of a letdown. I owned a 2021 Civic Type R and have tested the new Integra Type S and those are the closest cars I would point you towards. The FWD is almost invisible at anything but full throttle in 1st and 2nd, the chassis precision is maybe even better than the 4BW, they will depreciate very slowly (if at all), and they are Hondas so they will last forever.

Trust me - I get wanting to try different cars very regularly (I currently own 4 high performance cars and am constantly plotting my next move!). But you might not be understanding how special your 4BW is unless you actually go test drive things.
Well said, this is the challenge. The 4BW is hard to beat. You can change things up for the sake of change but odds are it won't be any better.

Very well put, I test drove the c8 and a 2ss 1le and the c8(not a z06) is basically off my list forever. The Camaro is tempting because of the v8 soundtrack but itā€™s really hard to justify too.

I think Iā€™m getting there that almost everything in this price bracket is a downgrade over what I already have.

I would keep the 4BW or find a nice C7 GS. Maybe a Z06 of the budget can stretch.

Well said, this is the challenge. The 4BW is hard to beat. You can change things up for the sake of change but odds are it won't be any better.
Yeah I think I am coming to the realization that I may be changing things just for changeā€™s sake.

Not sure I would go from the 4BW to Camaro SS 1LE. I have owned both as well as a ZL1. The only benefit of the Camaro SS 1LE would be the V8 exhaust note. The rest is a downgrade including the tech, visibility, practically, trunk opening, seating position, etc. The 4BW has a better dash cluster, the mag ride 4.0 is better as you can actuality feel a difference between the modes, nicer interior, steering wheel, V-Mode, features, etc. The performance between the 4BW and SS1LE is very similar. Many refer to the 4BW as the 4 door Camaro SS 1LE with a TTV6.

I would try something different. A lighter weight car will offer a lot of fun on the street. Miata is the best but if you can't fit then a GR86 is quite fun to hoon around town. C7 Corvettes are nice but not much performance difference vs. the 4BW unless you go for a Z06. My 4BW is just as quick as my C7 GrandSport.

Dodge Scat Packs and Hellcats are just ok, engine is cool but too big and handling blows compared to 4BW and then you get Dodge reliability and fuel costs. GR Corolla sounds fun but $45k-50k for a Corolla is hard to get your head around. Both the Honda Civic Type R and Acura Integra cost too much for front wheel drive and they are just Civics at the end of the day. Supra is ok if you are a BMW fan. Mustang feels like a downgrade compared to a 4BW as well with that bolted on dash display. Again similar performance to your 4BW.

The reality is that the 4BW is a such a great performance car since it does so many things well. Cadillac just has a branding problem.

I will probably get flamed for this but the new Tesla Model 3 Performance is a great bang for the buck now. $53k minus 7,500 tax credit if you qualify. 0-60mph in 2.9, includes adaptive dampers and sports seats now, big brakes, track modes. Instant torque is great and they are pretty nimble with the LCG battery. Depreciation has been pretty bad but at this price the performance and tech are hard to beat.
Of all the folks I thought you would say go for the 2ss 1le( weā€™ve had several conversations regarding this) šŸ˜œ

But I get where youā€™re coming from- the 1le does feel like a downgrade in most aspects. The v8 soundtrack is the only thing I would miss. The Camaro theft and insurability is a big concern too. Also the general associated image.

Reg lightweight cars- my cars before the blackwing were a 22 brz and a NC Miata. I think I liked them but I think I much prefer the ct4. I drove a friends gr86 recently and the car felt too slow for me.

I think Iā€™m gonna stick to the blackwing and wait for a while for an lc500 or a c8 z06 or a Porsche gt car(if I get rich)

Lexus RCF could be an option if you want something a little different and with a great character V8. Also should be good on the reliability and depreciation side.

Lotus Evora may be interesting too and technically is a +2 with manual option. Toyota powertrain though otherwise cant speak to reliability. Shouldn't take much of a depreciation hit on that either though
Reg the Lexus. If Iā€™m going v8 Lexus route I want the lc500. Itā€™s on the list once I get more money saved.

The evora is tempting but I thought it was outside my budget. Will check on that.

That's fair, but JLR put that 5.0 liter into basically everything they made for a decade and it's got the ubiquitous ZF 8 speed.

Anecdotally they're reasonably stout at least on the powertrain side w/ normal maintenance.
There are so many new ones nationwide in stock. I was shocked, thought it was a rare car. I wish they had reasonable lease rates on these, I would happily lease one for a few years.

The Lexus doesn't handle or steer well. Acceleration is similar to our CT4 Blackwing. Reliability of the Lexus will be better.

Reg the Lexus. If Iā€™m going v8 Lexus route I want the lc500. Itā€™s on the list once I get more money saved.

The evora is tempting but I thought it was outside my budget. Will check on that.
The IC500 is slow.

Of all the folks I thought you would say go for the 2ss 1le( weā€™ve had several conversations regarding this) šŸ˜œ

But I get where youā€™re coming from- the 1le does feel like a downgrade in most aspects. The v8 soundtrack is the only thing I would miss. The Camaro theft and insurability is a big concern too. Also the general associated image.

Reg lightweight cars- my cars before the blackwing were a 22 brz and a NC Miata. I think I liked them but I think I much prefer the ct4. I drove a friends gr86 recently and the car felt too slow for me.

I think Iā€™m gonna stick to the blackwing and wait for a while for an lc500 or a c8 z06 or a Porsche gt car(if I get rich)
Haha. I am a bit older and wiser now. The Camaro SS 1LE is a great car but in this case it just won't be any better than what you are driving now. We are driving the 4 door version of the SS 1LE with newer tech and better visibility and practicality.

The next move is like you said, step up to a more expensive sports car if you want to part with the money. Porsche would be nice but the maintenance costs are scary. The LC500 would be cool at first but I think you would get bored with it and want something with more character and a bit quicker for the money. C8 Z06 is the only one I would consider. The C8 Stingray is too numb and no manual. 5BW would be good if you have the itch for the supercharger and V8 exhaust note. It is just tough to use the additional power on the street.

Personally, rather than spending more on a single vehicle. I would compliment the 4BW with something else with different character to satisfy the mood. Maybe a 2 seater convertible, Miata or C7 Corvette with a manual. Have you ever driven a Tesla Model 3 Performance? The neck snapping instant torque is fun for when you are not in the mood to shift. Maybe you would like a pickup truck to pair with the 4BW. Go find an off-road trail somewhere. :)

Unless you are getting a true sports car I wouldnā€™t entertain anything else. Let the new car novelty wear off with the RS3 and I bet it wonā€™t compare to the enjoyment you get from your BW. If you are determined to try something else I would get a 6 speed sports car and in the price range would look at M2, Miata (plus money leftover for mods) and a Supra. Not sure you can find any Porsche 718ā€™s in that price range but that would be another good option. Iā€™ve owned a Focus RS which was a fun car and comparable to a Civic Type R, GR Corolla, Golf R etc. All of those cars are slower and not as nice as the BW. Plus they are a bit ā€œboy racerā€.

My Blackwing is pretty similar in terms of fun and driving enjoyment that I get from my ND2 Miata. The BW is easily the best all around car I have driven and unless I no longer had a need for the 4 doors and back seats I wouldnā€™t consider upgrading and even if I were I think the only thing that would compare would be a different price bracket like a Lotus Emira, 718 GTS, or 911.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back