Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PSA: Setting Expectations - Condition of your paint may disappoint you, but a paint correction/ceramic coat and a good detailer will fix your problem.

It gets to the point where as soon as I see a post from @Commonman I'm thinking it says @C'mon man!
🤣

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

While theoretically you are correct,... you have bitched and moaned non-stop basically since you first have been on here... starting with the fact that you apparently live in the wrong state🙄.

People come on here to get/share/provide info/pics/enthusiasm, ask/answer questions, escape from their day,... and even vent/complain about expectations/the process/their vehicle... which is all legitimate, necessary, helpful, and even cathartic.

But after awhile enough is enough!! If you're looking for validation,... then yes you make some/many(?) good points. If you're looking for the forum to correct your problems,...then you're barking up the wrong tree... although if you look through the forum you should be able to find numerous examples and suggestions of different Cadillac/GM contacts from the dealership level all the way towards the top of the hierarchy that people on here have made/provided contact info about-->so may I suggest trying to contact one of them (no I do not know them off the top of my head, but I know from reading this forum that the info is definitely in here).

Finally if you are going to continue to be as intransigent as you have been... then just know your point has been made ad infinitum. It gets to the point where as soon as I see a post from @Commonman I'm thinking it says @C'mon man!

So there gets to be the moment where some of us throw our hands up in the air and say no one is forcing you to buy this car... if you're not happy then buy something else and I sincerely wish you a Happy New Year! and best of luck in finding your happiness because it doesn't seem to be here.
LOL, you are correct as I have written the president of Cadillac and received a nice phone call and several Blackwing goodies.... The power of the pen to the right person could help, as long as your nice and bring up good points...

Do y'all remember the letter that @soulsea send that changed the ADM for the Escalade V?

LOL, you are correct as I have written the president of Cadillac and received a nice phone call and several Blackwing goodies.... The power of the pen to the right person could help, as long as your nice and bring up good points...

Do y'all remember the letter that @soulsea send that changed the ADM for the Escalade V?
Was it adm or the warranty cancellation for reselling within a year?

Was it adm or the warranty cancellation for reselling within a year?
reselling within a year.. The letter is on here somewhere..... It was a thing of beauty!

I wrote the wrong thing in the above post, thanks for correcting me..

Last edited:
I would love a recommendation email or mailing address of someone at Cadillac to write to and address these issues. I have asked dealer staff and they have nobody to recommend. My hope with bringing up these issues on the forum is to hopefully convey to GM that the troops aren't happy and maybe they might take action. ( I know I am a fool for thinking this as someone wisely suggested ). Some are sympathetic to my message and some aren't. Some even feel that I could never be happy with a car that I haven't seen, never driven, haven't paid for and is not in my possession.That might be a stretch. I am optimistic that this will be a fantastic car once I get it. All cars are compromises and I really do accept that. Some of you take my criticism of Cadillac Corp. as if it were a personal attack on their car or Cadillac owner experience. That is not my intent. Get me an E mail and a name and I will be happy. Thanks

Recently noticed on my car that it has two darker spots on the C pillar. They are mainly visible in the shade and not in direct sunlight. The paint looks normal under a flash light. Is this something that could be corrected with a paint correction or might this be a paint issue? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

The picture below is from when the car was inside the dealership so it seems like it came like this from the factory.

Attachments

• IMG_8995.jpg
    IMG_8995.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 132
Recently noticed on my car that it has two darker spots on the C pillar. They are mainly visible in the shade and not in direct sunlight. The paint looks normal under a flash light. Is this something that could be corrected with a paint correction or might this be a paint issue? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

The picture below is from when the car was inside the dealership so it seems like it came like this from the factory.
I can see them. No idea what the solution would be. Definitely under the clear coat?

What color is that?

What color is that?
I am pretty sure it’s Midnight Steel metallic. I just signed for mine in the same color last night. I checked the paint very closely before signing after following this thread as it unfolded last year. I was very happy with paint quality overall - it is (thankfully) much better than some I saw at local dealers while waiting for my allocation. I bought at Sewell - Dustin said paint quality has improved significantly in the past few months so it appears the factory got their arms around whatever the issue was last year. But I was looking for excessive orange peel, thin spots and scratches, not blotches. The sun was going down when I checked mine so I will be taking a close look again in the sunlight to see if I have this same issue.

I am pretty sure it’s Midnight Steel metallic. I just signed for mine in the same color last night. I checked the paint very closely before signing after following this thread as it unfolded last year. I was very happy with paint quality overall - it is (thankfully) much better than some I saw at local dealers while waiting for my allocation. I bought at Sewell - Dustin said paint quality has improved significantly in the past few months so it appears the factory got their arms around whatever the issue was last year. But I was looking for excessive orange peel, thin spots and scratches, not blotches. The sun was going down when I checked mine so I will be taking a close look again in the sunlight to see if I have this same issue.
It is Midnight Steel Metallic indeed. I unfortunately did not notice this issue upon initially taking delivery of my car. Just noticed these spots recently and went back to look at pictures that I took at the dealership. The spots are only truly visible in shade or overcast settings, in direct sunlight they are not visible. Lastly, both sides of the car have these spots which is strange but the spots on the right side of the car are not as visible.

I am planning on taking my car to a local detailer to get their opinion on whether it's possible to paint correct the spots. Planning on also speaking with my dealership to get their thoughts/opinions.

I am sorry but this argument, which I have seen repeatedly, simply doesn't hold water. Either you have a world class paint process or you don't. An Audi S4 or RS4 goes into the same paint process as an A4 and that holds true for all the Audi line. Audi does the same thing as Cadillac, takes a base model and adds thousands of dollars of performance upgrades to create a S or RS version. But a $35K A3 has the same quality paint as an $120k RS6 Avant because Audi has developed a great process. Having said that, my plan is to take my 5BW, when I get it (delayed), and go straight to my detailer for paint correction.
Doesn't mean I will not love the car but as others have said, if GM wants to take on the Germans, on a consistent basis, they have to improve their paint and other QC processes.
The ignorance is pretty steep with American buyers and especially on vehicles. Most are just plain ignorant, clueless and uniformed. German quality and Tesla quality...keep sucking it Americans and they will keep feed you!

It is Midnight Steel Metallic indeed. I unfortunately did not notice this issue upon initially taking delivery of my car. Just noticed these spots recently and went back to look at pictures that I took at the dealership. The spots are only truly visible in shade or overcast settings, in direct sunlight they are not visible. Lastly, both sides of the car have these spots which is strange but the spots on the right side of the car are not as visible.

I am planning on taking my car to a local detailer to get their opinion on whether it's possible to paint correct the spots. Planning on also speaking with my dealership to get their thoughts/opinions.

Did the dealer do any sort of ceramic coating on the car?

Did the dealer do any sort of ceramic coating on the car?
Yes they did. The dealer apparently applies a ceramic coating to all of their new cars. Do you think it's an issue with the coating or how the corrected the paint?

Yes they did. The dealer apparently applies a ceramic coating to all of their new cars. Do you think it's an issue with the coating or how the corrected the paint?

It looks very much like high spots in the ceramic coating. Darker areas that show up on cloudy days but hard to see in detail lighting or direct sunlight

Depending on the cure time on the ceramic coating it can be easily removed either with some alcohol or can be easily compounded off.

But if your dealer did the coating. Have them take care of it.

It looks very much like high spots in the ceramic coating. Darker areas that show up on cloudy days but hard to see in detail lighting or direct sunlight

Depending on the cure time on the ceramic coating it can be easily removed either with some alcohol or can be easily compounded off.

But if your dealer did the coating. Have them take care of it.
Thanks, that's helpful! The dealership had a third party come in and apply the coating so I'll reach out to the dealership and see what they say.

I'm happy enough having a "serviceable" paintjob. Its suitable for purpose on a track ready hooligan mobile. I am disappointed that the quality isn't better, but I knew about the paint quality before I decided to buy. A mild correction (done on my own) took care of most of the issues and left me happy.

I will say that some other manufacturers seem to care more about this stuff, so look over the car you plan to buy closely and speak to your dealer about having issues corrected before delivery. They'll tell you what they can and can't do.

That being said, my Mazda's that were manufactured in Japan have all had flawless paint and fit/finish, so why they can do it and we can't is obviously something accepted at the corporate level.

Anyone done the enclosed trailer option and had better luck with the paint on arrival? For me it’d be another $2k option to add on

Don’t bother - enclosed won’t save you from the destruction that happens prior.

Don’t bother - enclosed won’t save you from the destruction that happens prior.

Would it not at least ensure a timely delivery? That alone would save the car from "the destruction that happens prior" while sitting on the lot at the plant for 6 months, that many of our cars experienced.

I think the car would wind up sitting either way. It's not like they build it, shrink wrap it, and immediately load it into a closed transporter. They need to secure an enclosed transporter and schedule the pickup/delivery and I don't even know if they pick it up at the factory. Our cars all go to a railyard in the area and are loaded onto transporters there. Escalades come to us on transporters from the factory because it is logistically nearby.

You'd also need to make sure that the dealership doesn't touch it prior to delivery too. No wash/detail from the dealership.

The paint coming from the factory will still need correcting anyway, so save your $ for that. Orange peel, little peaks/nubs, scratches etc. You'll get more for your money with a correction and ceramic coating than you will from enclosed shipping. My 2 cents.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back