Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Spring Mountain

Yeah, it happens. It's not that tricky a turn and not one you see a lot of accidents at unless people are racing wheel to wheel through it.. Not sure what happened other than maybe carrying a little too much speed and not braking thinking that he was going to make the turn. He had a chance to slow down. Once he realized that he was going off he put too much wheel into it too late and it launched the car to the left. It honestly wasn't that bad of a mistake, he might have even had his eyes too much on the car that was pushing him that caught the footage. I bet he was really surprised. It's easy to point out this stuff in hindsight but stuff comes at you fast, that's why track insurance is always worth it.

Now if you really want to test your race diapers, this happened at Daytona a little while back at one of the sister cars to the one I was racing that day. Tire blew out at over 150mph.

Did not hit a thing.

Once he realized that he was going off he put too much wheel into it too late

I did a bunch of track days back in the day with my old Evo VIII. The worst incidents came from people trying to save the car, rather than just accepting they were going off.

A guy parked an Evo on top of the armco barrier at Texas World Speedway from an incident like that. Ran wide coming out of T1, tried to save it, and shot across the track to the inside barrier.

A friend of mine had a saying: "Cars don't spin out. They spin in." I think a lot of track novices don't worry too much about what is on the inside of a turn - until it is too late.

Good info from both of you. I'm learning along the way and decided its best to slow down with getting back on the track after Spring Mountain as there is plenty of time. I even learned a lot hanging out at a Lemons race last weekend. Lots of seasoned drivers and track instructors. Things like even if you think you are good on the track or going to take it easy something can go wrong with the car or others so get the insurance. In this pic trying to save the car meant missing the tires and hitting trees instead, which was worse in many ways.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    139.6 KB · Views: 130
how do you sign up for it? how do they know not to charge you?

A bit off topic but checkout this recent post.
There was also a non Cadillac car that was totaled recently at Carolina Motorsports park during an open track day. I wish track insurance was not so expensive for just one day.
I've done probably 20 track days at the Charlotte Roval, and have seen 20 crashes. I've done just as many days at CMP and have seen just as many offs, but very few "totals." There's only about 2 places there that you can really hurt yourself. Would be interested in a link to that CMP wreck.

I've done probably 20 track days at the Charlotte Roval, and have seen 20 crashes. I've done just as many days at CMP and have seen just as many offs, but very few "totals." There's only about 2 places there that you can really hurt yourself. Would be interested in a link to that CMP wreck.
This might be it. Happened earlier this month.

Looks like he had a couple of opportunities to mitigate damage. When he first got squirrely he could have driven straight off. After that, when the rear stepped out he could have done "both feet in" and slid down the track.

But he didn't do either of those. Tried to save it. Got into a tank-slapper, and he was just a passenger at that point.

Last edited:
Pic above at CMS is from a different one on the 16th. Just know it was a Subaru and not aware of any video. I forgot to look at it on the way out of the track last weekend but I might swing by to watch the one lap of America next week.

Finally got around to installing Cosworth Toolbox GM. Find it by searching on those words. It is so much better to watch your PDR files breaking out each lap in chunks with the time and also all the data to view.

This might be it. Happened earlier this month.

Looks like he had a couple of opportunities to mitigate damage. When he first got squirrely he could have driven straight off. After that, when the rear stepped out he could have done "both feet in" and slid down the track.

But he didn't do either of those. Tried to save it. Got into a tank-slapper, and he was just a passenger at that point.

That's me. Certainly a number of things I could have done differently and after watching that video a 100 times and studying the data, I'm aware of all of them. That wasn't my first or fastest time through that turn. However, it was my first time off track. It appears that I've reached the point where I'm comfortable trying to get the car close to the limit, but I don't have enough experience handling the car when I find the limit. Oh well, just wasn't my day. I'll figure it out eventually.

The car isn't totaled. I drove it home, got an alignment, and had it back out on the track last Friday. You really can't see all of the cracked fiberglass standing a few feet away. I'll get it fixed eventually, but I have more track days planned this year and I'm sure I'll slide through the tires again.
PXL_20220407_224254445.MP.jpg

That's me. Certainly a number of things I could have done differently and after watching that video a 100 times and studying the data, I'm aware of all of them. That wasn't my first or fastest time through that turn. However, it was my first time off track. It appears that I've reached the point where I'm comfortable trying to get the car close to the limit, but I don't have enough experience handling the car when I find the limit. Oh well, just wasn't my day. I'll figure it out eventually.

The car isn't totaled. I drove it home, got an alignment, and had it back out on the track last Friday. You really can't see all of the cracked fiberglass standing a few feet away. I'll get it fixed eventually, but I have more track days planned this year and I'm sure I'll slide through the tires again.View attachment 8698
Welcome! First and foremost, glad to hear you're OK. Fiberglass repair kits are $15 at AutoZone. Repairing organic material is considerably more expensive.

Any takeaways or thoughts you could share about CMP that you'd do differently?

Yeah, it happens. It's not that tricky a turn and not one you see a lot of accidents at unless people are racing wheel to wheel through it.. Not sure what happened other than maybe carrying a little too much speed and not braking thinking that he was going to make the turn. He had a chance to slow down. Once he realized that he was going off he put too much wheel into it too late and it launched the car to the left. It honestly wasn't that bad of a mistake, he might have even had his eyes too much on the car that was pushing him that caught the footage. I bet he was really surprised. It's easy to point out this stuff in hindsight but stuff comes at you fast, that's why track insurance is always worth it.

Now if you really want to test your race diapers, this happened at Daytona a little while back at one of the sister cars to the one I was racing that day. Tire blew out at over 150mph.

Did not hit a thing.
i run a gt4 m4 with tons of gas motorsports in WRL every now and then.....small world

The car isn't totaled. I drove it home, got an alignment, and had it back out on the track last Friday. You really can't see all of the cracked fiberglass standing a few feet away. I'll get it fixed eventually, but I have more track days planned this year and I'm sure I'll slide through the tires again.View attachment 8698
Sir, I complement your attitude. Coming out of something like that and going right back on track is 100% the way to do it.

Kudos to you and I hope to see you out there some time.

People enjoying what they want to do with their cars. That's the way it should be. :)

That's me. Certainly a number of things I could have done differently and after watching that video a 100 times and studying the data, I'm aware of all of them. That wasn't my first or fastest time through that turn. However, it was my first time off track. It appears that I've reached the point where I'm comfortable trying to get the car close to the limit, but I don't have enough experience handling the car when I find the limit.

Wow! Hell of an intro post. Respect.

And, yeah, I totally feel you on the "what to do when you go over the limit thing". On like my 3rd track day (2nd at Texas World Speedway) I had a balky shift going into a turn. I wasted a precious second or two getting it in gear, and after that there was no way I was going to make the corner.

But I didn't yet have the presence of mind to ride it out. "Panik!" I yanked the wheel to try make the turn, spun 180 degrees, and my Evo went off the track backwards at like 60 mph. Car felt like it slid F O R E V E R. It was violent enough that it tripped the fuel shutoff thingy. I was still finding blades of grass inside the cabin 6 months later.

Any takeaways or thoughts you could share about CMP that you'd do differently?
You know, I don't think I would have entered the kink any differently. My line was okay, maybe turned in a little early, and I cautiously over braked before turning in. If you look at my steering, I have almost 20° of input. As I go over the gator, you can see that I straighten the wheel and immediately put 20° back in and get sideways. A case of driver induced oscillation. I really don't know what happened there, but I think I was tossed around in the seat a bit causing that. My only thought in that moment was to not go right. If you go off right, you're coming off the track on a rollback. The only things I wished I did differently happened after I lost control.
Sir, I complement your attitude. Coming out of something like that and going right back on track is 100% the way to do it.

Kudos to you and I hope to see you out there some time.
I'm trying to stay positive about the event. To be completely honest, I tried to find every excuse I could come up with to skip the next track day and when I got back out there, it wasn't fun. I felt like I was starting all over again and I doubted absolutely everything I was doing. I reached out to instructors for help during the lunch break and the help and support I got was incredible. The sessions after lunch were better, but I still have work to do. I'm currently working towards some coaching, more right side instruction, some time on the skid pad, and I think some karting would be helpful.
People enjoying what they want to do with their cars. That's the way it should be. :)
I had never been on a track before and had no intention to track my car when I ordered it in 2019. I had the opportunity to drive on the Charlotte Roval and thought it would be fun. It was and I got hooked. Now, I try to do at least one track event every month.
Wow! Hell of an intro post. Respect.
Thank you. I appreciate that. And thank you for sharing your story. I've learned over the past few weeks that a lot of people have had track incidents and a lot ended far worse than mine.

To contribute to the topic of the thread, I was at Spring Mountain in May of 2021. I did the intro to open lapping. A beautiful facility and a well run program. It was also a great excuse to take a vacation and visit Zion and Vegas while in the area. For the subsidized price, it's a great experience.

You know, I don't think I would have entered the kink any differently. My line was okay, maybe turned in a little early, and I cautiously over braked before turning in. If you look at my steering, I have almost 20° of input. As I go over the gator, you can see that I straighten the wheel and immediately put 20° back in and get sideways. A case of driver induced oscillation. I really don't know what happened there, but I think I was tossed around in the seat a bit causing that. My only thought in that moment was to not go right. If you go off right, you're coming off the track on a rollback. The only things I wished I did differently happened after I lost control.

I'm trying to stay positive about the event. To be completely honest, I tried to find every excuse I could come up with to skip the next track day and when I got back out there, it wasn't fun. I felt like I was starting all over again and I doubted absolutely everything I was doing. I reached out to instructors for help during the lunch break and the help and support I got was incredible. The sessions after lunch were better, but I still have work to do. I'm currently working towards some coaching, more right side instruction, some time on the skid pad, and I think some karting would be helpful.

I had never been on a track before and had no intention to track my car when I ordered it in 2019. I had the opportunity to drive on the Charlotte Roval and thought it would be fun. It was and I got hooked. Now, I try to do at least one track event every month.

Thank you. I appreciate that. And thank you for sharing your story. I've learned over the past few weeks that a lot of people have had track incidents and a lot ended far worse than mine.

To contribute to the topic of the thread, I was at Spring Mountain in May of 2021. I did the intro to open lapping. A beautiful facility and a well run program. It was also a great excuse to take a vacation and visit Zion and Vegas while in the area. For the subsidized price, it's a great experience.
Nice to meet you. I look forward to seeing you at CMS or any events at Charlotte or Darlington if you spectate I am usually infield for at least one NASCAR race a year and for the sports cars Rolex and Road Atlanta.

I was surprised to see that their cars weren't equipped with a tow hook

Does anyone know if the previous gen hook will work on ours?

@poor-sha

I tried and couldn’t even get the tow hook that comes in the trunk to thread in to either front of back. I also tried some spare C7 and C8 tow hooks I had without luck.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back