Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Brake Caliper Piston

strohw

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4-BW
What are you're guys thoughts on 1 out of the 6 pistons from the front caliper being roughly 1.5mm back from the pad. The other 5 are touching the pad. I was playing around on Friday and had some pretty aggressive braking sessions so this seems like it may be stuck to me.

I'm in the process of taking my wheels off and cleaning them from the winter. Noticed a bit of light scuffing on the inner wheel and caliper body. There may not be enough clearance between the two to avoid this issue during winter driving

Attachments

• 20220430_183016.jpg
    20220430_183016.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • 20220430_181557.jpg
    20220430_181557.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 138
Both situations don't seem right.
Is that Wheel Scuff around the whole rim circumference or just in a certain section of the circumference?
If the latter, check if your wheel is bent (spin it and watch the inside rim).

Also, are your caliper bolts or pad retention hardware loose, allowing caliper or pads to move?

On the retracted piston, does it extend, when someone stands on (or pumps) the brake pedal?
Perhaps the dust seal is just tight and pulling it back in?
Otherwise, piston might be misaligned/damaged & binding in the bore.

If not much room between caliper and wheel maybe a rock or other small piece of debris got stuck between the two and scored the barrel and caliper?

Both situations don't seem right.
Is that Wheel Scuff around the whole rim circumference or just in a certain section of the circumference?
If the latter, check if your wheel is bent (spin it and watch the inside rim).

Also, are your caliper bolts or pad retention hardware loose, allowing caliper or pads to move?

On the retracted piston, does it extend, when someone stands on (or pumps) the brake pedal?
Perhaps the dust seal is just tight and pulling it back in?
Otherwise, piston might be misaligned/damaged & binding in the bore.

The thinner lines you see on the right side of the wheel in the picture go all the way around. There are short scuffs on the top and bottom of the caliper as well. When I put everything back together I did spin the wheel and watched the gaping between the caliper and wheel. There didn't appear to be any inconsistencies.

In regards to the caliper bolts and pins, they were all secure. For the piston, I was home by myself that day so I have to get the wheel off again and have my wife apply the brakes to see if it makes contact.

If not much room between caliper and wheel maybe a rock or other small piece of debris got stuck between the two and scored the barrel and caliper?

Possibly and that's why I figure it may be mostly a winter issue. I've driven home multiple times during the winter with snow packed in there.

Check the other side to see how that piston looks.

I should clarify. Did you check the other caliper on the opposite side of the car?

I should clarify. Did you check the other caliper on the opposite side of the car?

Actually, I didn't and I'll do that tonight. I'll also have my wife press on the brakes to see what the piston does that's retracted.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back