Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Product Review: First drive of a Vsport

Product Review announcement

Tuna

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'11 V Wagon, ( '13 427 Vette & '21 Vette)
By me anyway.

Had to take the V Wagon to the dealer today and they had a Premium Vsport in black on the lot, and they let me take if for a little drive.

When I punched the Start button, everything activated and the tach came up to 750 RPM but I didn't hear or feel it start. That was weird - like activating my Volt.

The salesman went over the features for me and there are plenty of features.

Out on the streets and the first thing to really get my attention is the seat bolsters vibrating at me. That's weird. It's the lane warning feature and blind spot feature stuff. If you drift right or left on a clearly marked road, the left or right side of the seat vibrates. Never had something like that happen to me so it was a surprise. You can turn it off however.

The main reason for the test drive was to feel out the engine response and turbo lag. In TOUR mode there is a hint of lag when I hit the throttle but the 8-speed trans down shifts quick and once the RPM comes up, it's gone.

In TOUR mode, the shocks, engine and transmission are programmed for max economy mode and the sound canceling system mutes the exhaust note.

SPORT mode changes the shocks, engine, and trans to a sportier ride.

TRACK mode turns off the sound canceling system and the exhaust note becomes obvious. I tried TOUR and TRACK modes.

In TRACK mode, the engine controller keeps the RPM up longer than otherwise so that there isn't any lag when you punch the throttle again coming out of a turn.

I had a great time driving it.

The CUE system will take more time to get familiar with as this was the first time I actually looked at one.

MSRP $72K and some change is more than my V Wagon stickered for but I think the Vsport is worth it.

Btw, my dealer had a XLR V, a 12 CTS V coupe and a Corvette GS on the lot also.

Later.

Awesome review. So, if you had the money, or money wasn't the option, would you trade the Wagon in on the Vsport?

BTW, who is your dealer? Just want to make sure I have that XLR-V in the Registry....

Awesome review. So, if you had the money, or money wasn't the option, would you trade the Wagon in on the Vsport?

I still need a wagon, so no trading for me. Now if I was in the market for a performance sedan, the Vsport would be top of the list. It felt really good, like a performance sedan ought to.

I forgot to mention that this Vsport had the HUD. My Vettes have had HUDs for years and I really like having the display up in front of me. The Vsport's HUD is a little different and multi-color. I like it.

I didn't try the paddle shifters on my short drive yesterday. Next time I'm down there, I ask for another drive in one and play with the paddles.

BTW, who is your dealer? Just want to make sure I have that XLR-V in the Registry....

Bob Moore Cadillac in Moore, OK - the XLR V is black but I didn't check the interior.

Last edited:
million dollar question. Would you rather that sedan or the cts-v sedan? Does the upgraded technology make up for the less horsepower?

million dollar question. Would you rather that sedan or the cts-v sedan? Does the upgraded technology make up for the less horsepower?

I like the new Vsport and the third generation CTS. There's a lot of improvements in the new CTS compared to the second generation CTS. Longer, lighter, lower also. The Vsport has plenty of get up and go also - more than enough for most people, then again, I'm not most people.

I don't think the Vsport overpowers the tires or the streets. 556 overpowers the tires and most streets all the time. If you're not tracking the car, you don't really need the extra HP the V-series has to offer. Then again refer to my previous post - for me, it's "Want" not "Need."

Then again, my wife open road race our V and 556 HP accelerated faster above 100 than 420 also.

If money wasn't an issue and I had a bigger garage, I'd like to have a Vsport but I would not give up the V Wagon either.

Right now, we have the V-Wagon in the garage along side a 2013 427 Vette convertible and a leased Volt. The Volt with be the next car we replace and my wife is leaning toward an ATS 2.0 turbo. Guess a new CTS Vsport of V-series it out of the question for a while.

In a couple of weeks I get a "dream drive" in a 458 Ferrari. I may change my mind about everything after driving the Ferrari.

^^^^^^^^ Super ballin... my garage is nothing like yours.. I only have a 2009 Mazda CX9, 2008 Infiniti G37s, 2007 Yamaha r1, 1985 Iroc Camaro... and (crossing fingers) hoping to add a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V to the frey. (I'll know tomorrow)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back