Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What does OnStar get us, exactly?

Davel518

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5 Blackwing
My OnStar trial expires soon, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it. I'm a bit confused which features are OnStar vs just being part of the car. Is the app (car locator, oil age, tire pressure etc) part of OnStar? Or is OnStar just the blue button you push if you get in trouble?

Onstar allows your app to work to see things like remaining fuel, tire pressure, app remote start and GPS tracking. Probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Depending on the package you'll also get the usual automatic response when in an accident.

Is it worth it? I don't think so. Other manufacturers offer use of the app for FREE for years. The only feature I see a use for is the app remote start but even then its only useful if you daily the Blackwing, leave it in your works parking lot, shopping center etc where your fob can't reach it and this is assuming its automatic as a manual won't remote start.

In Canada the cheapest plan is $46 a month to use these features, its a complete rip off in my opinion.

Our 2013 CTS-V Wagon gives us all those measurements (oil age, tire pressure, fuel, etc) WITHOUT OnStar. I think OnStar bundles them into a pretty report and emails it to you; but the car also has access to all those features without OnStar.

Mine was up for renewal recently too. I called the toll free number to ask a few questions and the person I talked to extended my free period by 3 more months while I "decide" after which it will go to the essentials plan unless I cancel in July. I let the data expire without renewing since I haven't yet used the hotspot feature and can use my phone if needed. I could also get data minutes through my AT&T account too, I believe, but may still have to pay some additional amount to Onstar. On previous vehicles and probably this car, the advantage to using Onstar over my phone was the antenna in the vehicle was much better in areas where cellular signals were reduced.

Digging up this old thread because I'm at the point of OnStar expiring too. I don't see a lot of benefit to any of the safety services except stolen vehicle assistance. But, wouldn't they use that anyway if I reported my car as stolen? If the police ask Cadillac really going to say they know but won't tell unless they get a $30 check? The on thing I do find useful is the My Cadillac app. I'm not sure if it's $15/month useful, but I do like remote information and control. I can't use remote start since it's manual though. Does Remote Vehicle Access keep all the My Cadillac features operating? I really do think this particular service should be free.

Digging up this old thread because I'm at the point of OnStar expiring too. I don't see a lot of benefit to any of the safety services except stolen vehicle assistance.

I've always kept my OnStar subs on all of my GM vehicles, I just generally push for the lowest-end "Safety" one, whichever that is. I don't need help with navigation stuff, or any of the other silly add-ons. But the safety? Sign me up.

One night, many, many moons ago, I got into an awful car accident in my '07 Corvette. OnStar was connected to me before my car stopped moving after the hit. My bag had deployed (the car was totaled).

On-Star: Are you OK?
Me: Yeah, so far. Let me check the folks in the other car...

I got out and could hear cries for help, and quickly yelled to the OnStar operator, "Get help here, now."

The ambulance and fire crew were there in no time. They *ARE* faster than 911. They bypass all the horseshit that 911 puts you through (and those operators have to go through themselves). They connect immediately to the appropriate dispatches and get the right folks moving immediately.

To me: it's worth it. It's faster than a cell phone. Been there, done that, got the bruised rib to show for it.

I've always kept my OnStar subs on all of my GM vehicles, I just generally push for the lowest-end "Safety" one, whichever that is. I don't need help with navigation stuff, or any of the other silly add-ons. But the safety? Sign me up.

One night, many, many moons ago, I got into an awful car accident in my '07 Corvette. OnStar was connected to me before my car stopped moving after the hit. My bag had deployed (the car was totaled).

On-Star: Are you OK?
Me: Yeah, so far. Let me check the folks in the other car...

I got out and could hear cries for help, and quickly yelled to the OnStar operator, "Get help here, now."

The ambulance and fire crew were there in no time. They *ARE* faster than 911. They bypass all the horseshit that 911 puts you through (and those operators have to go through themselves). They connect immediately to the appropriate dispatches and get the right folks moving immediately.

To me: it's worth it. It's faster than a cell phone. Been there, done that, got the bruised rib to show for it.
I to have had an OnStar crash incident... Several years ago I was on an icy road in my GMC 2500 and lost control and hit a huge oak tree.. The air bags went off and OnStar was asking me if I was ok before I knew what happened... Truck was totaled (company truck) and my boss was nice about it... I was sore for a week but ok......

I like OnStar but don't like the cost of it,,,,

I let my OnStar app lapse and I still get the monthly email with diagnostics...

It does seem like a bit of a rip-off, if it was $5-$10/mo it would be a no-brainer!

Side question: has anyone ever got OnStar crash service to activate on track? :LOL:
I've always wondered whether track braking and cornering could set something off

It does seem like a bit of a rip-off, if it was $5-$10/mo it would be a no-brainer!

Side question: has anyone ever got OnStar crash service to activate on track? :LOL:
I've always wondered whether track braking and cornering could set something off
There have been examples of track driving setting off the air bags. 🤦‍♂️

What I gather about the On-Star service is that they operate much like the SiriusXM model. That is the prices are negotiable and one needs to call in and tell them you want to cancel. At the moment I have the connected vehicle and unlimited data for $15/month. At some point my deal will expire and I will have to renegotiate.

Connected vehicle also has traffic info which I like.

I was able to get $7.97 on my Bolt for the basic plan. Just keep saying "cancel". Just like any other monthly subscription service.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back