Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Uneven rotor wear?

Cadillac CT4-V model

T_smoove2

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT4-V BW
Noticed this ring of different surface around the outside of the rotor. It looks to me like the pads aren't getting pressure on that area. The other 3 rotors have even wear on the entire braking surface. I've got about 2200 miles. Is this normal? Has anyone else had this happen?
20230318_105844.jpg

I'd stop by the dealership. Don't know if you have a problem with a brake pad or possibly dragging the parking brake??

yea, that's not normal. Looks like you might have had some road debris stuck under or at the front edge of the brake pad in that spot.

I would say that needs to come apart to take a look. Agree that something is probably trapped in there and is going to continue to eat the rotor.

Alright so I had a chance to take the pads out and get a look... doesn't appear that any of the theories here panned out. I washed the car so the rotors had a nice light layer of rust. Took the pads out and at first glance it looked like the top (outer) part of the pad was making contact and wearing, and the bottom (inner) was not. I reseated them, took them for a spin around the block with some hard braking, and here are the results. That outer band still has rust, which means actuality is the opposite of my impression. The outer half of that pad is not making contact with the rotor at all. Think I'm going to have to take it in to get looked at.

Attachments

• 20230402_130145.jpg
    20230402_130145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 20230402_123204.jpg
    20230402_123204.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230402_123036.jpg
    20230402_123036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Alright so I had a chance to take the pads out and get a look... doesn't appear that any of the theories here panned out. I washed the car so the rotors had a nice light layer of rust. Took the pads out and at first glance it looked like the top (outer) part of the pad was making contact and wearing, and the bottom (inner) was not. I reseated them, took them for a spin around the block with some hard braking, and here are the results. That outer band still has rust, which means actuality is the opposite of my impression. The outer half of that pad is not making contact with the rotor at all. Think I'm going to have to take it in to get looked at.
Does anyone know what the piston layout is in the caliper? My initial guess that might cause what you are seeing is that one or more of the pistons in that caliper are not working.

Sure seems like a stuck piston. Hopefully you can't feel that with your fingernail but if you can then you'll need to have the rotor resurfaced.

That pad looks pretty crooked, I'd at least swap the pads or have those leveled out on the bench with some 60 grit.

But first things first, they have to look at that caliper and figure out what's going on. I doubt they bother to rebuild them, they'll probably just throw on a new caliper with new pads on the axel and either rotor resurface or replacement.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back