Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Tapout tuning CT5 blackwing build review (now WITH videos!)

Tapout tuning CT5V blackwing build review (now with videos!)

Little background to put things in perspective about my feelings towards the 5 blackwing.

I ordered my car in august 2021 to be my daily driver.
I have a nice stable of cars as is, but mainly track toys, like a huracan STO, 2019 GT3RS (full bolt ons and suspension / tune) , and a rolls Royce wraith to name a few of the heavy hitters. My wife’s daily is a 704awhp BMW M8 and we share a 2017 alpha 10 R8 at 850awhp on 93

I’m too big to be comfortable in the R8, but it’s perfect for my wife but she prefers the M8 for its instant torque as opposed to the R8 TTs zero torque until the turboes spool at 4k.

That’s what the blackwing has to compete with. When it finally arrived in October 2022 I knew within an hour it was my favorite of the bunch, but also that it could use a little more noise and it would be nice if it was at least as fast as my wife’s car from a roll.

Dropped my car off about 6 weeks after getting it to Tapout tuning where it spent the winter.

I picked it up march 1st and drove it home.

Modifications done:
ported supercharger
Smaller pulley and belt
Kooks catless headers
Green air filter u

The car is now at 702whp.

First off before I talk about how it drives I have to give a huge shout out to Scott and the team at Tapout, there was no after market for the car when I dropped it off. I didn’t know what to expect or if anything was even possible due to the ECU being untunable. Throughout the entire process Scott kept me updated without me reaching out asking what was going on to my car, not something I had with my other builds even if I was spending way more, the experience was awesome from start to finish, he talked me though each mod and what the next step was and what we agreed on to be the stopping point of 702whp.

I’ve put on about 700 miles since getting the car back with about 150-200 being full throttle pulls. Despite being catless the car still does not have a CEL. And the sound, in touring with the valves close it has a slightly louder rumble then it had prior, not by much but noticeable, no drone. In V mode with the valves open the car is a fucking monster. It’s basically a catless straight pipe. And it both sounds and feels like it.

The car also picked up a nice amount of supercharger whine, it’s audible from the outside if you are in front of the car. The attached videos showcase that, as well as the violence of the kooks catless headers.

I’ll have more videos soon, I was planning on taking more today but it started to rain.

I will also update with draggy numbers. I got one pull today 60-130 at 8.05 but that was with some slip in second gear and then it started to snow/ rain.

The car is exactly what I wanted it to be right now, drives like stock, but with the option of violence, I’ve never had a better daily and I haven’t had a car make me this happy in over a decade. Anyone on the fence about going with Tapout for any of the mods I have I hope this review and videos makes that decision for you.
Love the whine!!!

I have the ported blower, new throttle body currently. I'm going to go with the Kooks headers with high flow cats (stock mufflers), pulley swap and cooler plugs. I'm going to wait for @WONT TAP to manufacture their new intake. After seeing the results they had on the CT4 BW, I'm going to wait on their unit.

I have the ported blower, new throttle body currently. I'm going to go with the Kooks headers with high flow cats (stock mufflers), pulley swap and cooler plugs. I'm going to wait for @WONT TAP to manufacture their new intake. After seeing the results they had on the CT4 BW, I'm going to wait on their unit.

I've got the blower removed, shipping it out tomorrow. Gonna go ahead and machine the snout when I get it back so the 2.18 pulley will fit. Running the 2.3 but at least I'll have the option of the 2.18 if someone figures out how to get it more fuel. I'll follow up once it's complete in a couple weeks

the reason the 4 had such great results is that it essentially tricks the ecu into making the turbos build more boost. that same trick won't work on the supercharged 5. if you read the hagerty article mirza states that they told the engineer that designed the current intake that it was unacceptable when they said their design 'only cost 3 hp' and to go back to work to get that power back. at least in stock form there is zero to gain from an intake. would be hard to imagine much improvement on a modified car if they've already extracted everything that can be out of the space. the 18hp improvement over the ct5 V is large part due to the global B ECU and intake design.

the reason the 4 had such great results is that it essentially tricks the ecu into making the turbos build more boost. that same trick won't work on the supercharged 5. if you read the hagerty article mirza states that they told the engineer that designed the current intake that it was unacceptable when they said their design 'only cost 3 hp' and to go back to work to get that power back. at least in stock form there is zero to gain from an intake. would be hard to imagine much improvement on a modified car if they've already extracted everything that can be out of the space. the 18hp improvement over the ct5 V is large part due to the global B ECU and intake design.
Thank you for that information, @Carguyshu

Tapout tuning CT5V blackwing build review (now with videos!)

Little background to put things in perspective about my feelings towards the 5 blackwing.

I ordered my car in august 2021 to be my daily driver.
I have a nice stable of cars as is, but mainly track toys, like a huracan STO, 2019 GT3RS (full bolt ons and suspension / tune) , and a rolls Royce wraith to name a few of the heavy hitters. My wife’s daily is a 704awhp BMW M8 and we share a 2017 alpha 10 R8 at 850awhp on 93

I’m too big to be comfortable in the R8, but it’s perfect for my wife but she prefers the M8 for its instant torque as opposed to the R8 TTs zero torque until the turboes spool at 4k.

That’s what the blackwing has to compete with. When it finally arrived in October 2022 I knew within an hour it was my favorite of the bunch, but also that it could use a little more noise and it would be nice if it was at least as fast as my wife’s car from a roll.

Dropped my car off about 6 weeks after getting it to Tapout tuning where it spent the winter.

I picked it up march 1st and drove it home.

Modifications done:
ported supercharger
Smaller pulley and belt
Kooks catless headers
Green air filter u

The car is now at 702whp.

First off before I talk about how it drives I have to give a huge shout out to Scott and the team at Tapout, there was no after market for the car when I dropped it off. I didn’t know what to expect or if anything was even possible due to the ECU being untunable. Throughout the entire process Scott kept me updated without me reaching out asking what was going on to my car, not something I had with my other builds even if I was spending way more, the experience was awesome from start to finish, he talked me though each mod and what the next step was and what we agreed on to be the stopping point of 702whp.

I’ve put on about 700 miles since getting the car back with about 150-200 being full throttle pulls. Despite being catless the car still does not have a CEL. And the sound, in touring with the valves close it has a slightly louder rumble then it had prior, not by much but noticeable, no drone. In V mode with the valves open the car is a fucking monster. It’s basically a catless straight pipe. And it both sounds and feels like it.

The car also picked up a nice amount of supercharger whine, it’s audible from the outside if you are in front of the car. The attached videos showcase that, as well as the violence of the kooks catless headers.

I’ll have more videos soon, I was planning on taking more today but it started to rain.

I will also update with draggy numbers. I got one pull today 60-130 at 8.05 but that was with some slip in second gear and then it started to snow/ rain.

The car is exactly what I wanted it to be right now, drives like stock, but with the option of violence, I’ve never had a better daily and I haven’t had a car make me this happy in over a decade. Anyone on the fence about going with Tapout for any of the mods I have I hope this review and videos makes that decision for you.
Still no CEL light? Sorry if I missed it if this was posted elsewhere.

Did you go with the 2 inch headers ? or the 1 7/8? Just curious I just ordered some last week from Scott. (2in)

The Kong X ported blower is a work of art...

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20230811-124550_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230811-124550_Gallery.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 69
  • Resized_Screenshot_20230811-124527_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20230811-124527_Gallery.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 73

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed