Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Sunroof explosion.....WTF??

If your dealer is giving you a hard time, this should be covered under your auto insurance if you have glass added. I've heard of this happening on other cars as well. BMW, Benz, etc. Really unfortunate that happened to you.

I live near the Atlantic Ocean and its a real problem with seagulls dropping clams from high up. They don't care what the clam hits as long as it breaks open and they can eat ! Not only sunroofs broken but huge hood/roof/trunk dents. Then you get sharp broken clam shells lying in the street that can puncture your tires too.
Then they sit on top of telephone poles and laugh at you.

Attachments

• LAGU on nest box_Don_Riepe_CROP_COMP.jpg
    LAGU on nest box_Don_Riepe_CROP_COMP.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 44
Just another reason why I never buy a car with a sunroof. I do have a new Telluride that came with a sunroof. All of them come with one and sometimes 2. Tellurides have a history of new vehicles having the glass shatter. Its a $4000 replacement and they are backordered.
So, you never buy a car with a sunroof, yet you bought one……huh???

So, you never buy a car with a sunroof, yet you bought one……huh???
I corrected myself in the later post. I would never "intentionally" order a sunroof. Like I said, you can't get a Telluride without a sunroof. I have "never" used it ! Maybe I'm gonna buy a piece of plywood and screw it onto the top of the roof and cover it up ! I have some extra white paint laying around somewhere. LOL !

Got the glass (re) installed yesterday. Labor was $550 because the tech wanted to drop the headliner slightly to make sure he got all of the glass out.
Glass $200, Labor $550 plus I have the Tech a $40 tip = $790 if anyone is keeping score.

I called Cadillac Customer Care and opened a case and we will see what happens. Will update here if anyone is interested.
roof1.jpg

Also -
Got a Lyric as a "loaner vehicle" Its nice, but im not an EV kind of guy.
lq1a.jpg

lq2a.jpg

lq3a.jpg

Never, ever say the word "track" to a dealer.
Rant: the 5BW and 4BW are very much designed to be street cars with track capability. PTM is "Track Only", and Cadillac representatives encourage you to track the cars when you go to your included V Academy sessions.

To sell a car like this and then deny warranty for items that fail on track is criminal (money shifts excluded of course).

Porsche has the right idea. I've had warranty work done with track stickers still on the side of the car- a regular Carrera, not even a track-focused GT model. Cadillac needs to do the same if they want the V brand to have credibility.

Side note on sunroofs: you can hear the exhaust way better when your sunroof is open. :LOL:

I would agree - when the owners manual tells you how to properly track the vehicle and then bring it back for street, and half the features are designed for "track use only" (much like the C8), taking the car to the track and using it as it was designed and built (and advertised) should not void the warranty. And with the "no-lift shift" feature, you can't even really do money shifts anymore.

Only in an A10, NLS.

Just fishing! ;)

An editorial:

The panoramic roof shatter is a potential, and apparently recurring issue on a track capable car that's been specifically designed for just that street and track.

No disclosures or bulletins on panoramic roofs' and track sessions as a precaution by GM to date that I've seen?

The V3 had this issue take place as well.

If the warranty fails to cover the failure, how and why would that take place under manufacturer recommended uses ie; Track and street?

A claim has been filed in this case...... is this process necessary and/or typical with a bumper to bumper warranty on BW's?

Not a regular Vee, BW's?

SME's out there more versed in the fine print of the warranty may weigh in, my opine is covered without questions.

I can also share, I recently filed a claim with GM and the Cadillac Care Center with a case # assigned and they have been diligent with follow up info request's and making sure the issue is resolved.

I haven't been pleased with Caddy Cust Srvr like I am with them recently since I bought my BW.

A refreshing change in the experience.

KUP, pls @FrankRizzo Glad she is fixed. Good luck.

While on the topic of car problems........I finally got my 1967 Cadillac deVille convertible back from the mechanic. Last year I dropped major money on an entire engine rebuild at 200,000 miles. The car had an oil leak from various places. After the engine was done, it leaked worse than when I brought it to the shop. A $50 rear main seal was replaced "7"x and still kept leaking. I washed my hands of the engine builder and eventually was referred to an old school Cadillac dealership mechanic. I am ecstatic that he was able to figure out the problem without removing the engine and got a machinist to help fabricate a part. It's been two days and not a drop of oil on my driveway !! I have some new quarter window motors coming from OPGI and will have those fixed next. Now that I found the best classic Cadillac mechanic, he says that he will probably be moving away ! My Dad bought this car new in 1967.

Attachments

• 20220629_204754.jpg
    20220629_204754.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
I would agree - when the owners manual tells you how to properly track the vehicle and then bring it back for street, and half the features are designed for "track use only" (much like the C8), taking the car to the track and using it as it was designed and built (and advertised) should not void the warranty. And with the "no-lift shift" feature, you can't even really do money shifts anymore.
This happens with Jeeps all the time. The owners manual tells you how to operate the vehicle for off-road. But if you break certain things the warranty will not cover it. And insurance companies may only cover accidents that only happen on roads that have names. Obviously insurance won’t cover any track accidents on a car.

Glass is generally not covered under an automobile warranty. You auto insurance may or may not cover it. In Ca glass is not part of the auto policy coverage. In Az it is always part of the auto policy coverage. I have no idea in the other 48 states.

While on the topic of car problems........I finally got my 1967 Cadillac deVille convertible back from the mechanic. Last year I dropped major money on an entire engine rebuild at 200,000 miles. The car had an oil leak from various places. After the engine was done, it leaked worse than when I brought it to the shop. A $50 rear main seal was replaced "7"x and still kept leaking. I washed my hands of the engine builder and eventually was referred to an old school Cadillac dealership mechanic. I am ecstatic that he was able to figure out the problem without removing the engine and got a machinist to help fabricate a part. It's been two days and not a drop of oil on my driveway !! I have some new quarter window motors coming from OPGI and will have those fixed next. Now that I found the best classic Cadillac mechanic, he says that he will probably be moving away ! My Dad bought this car new in 1967.
And what was the fix ?

His machinist (an 80 year old guy) made a new "bearing cap" and they put in a different sized rear main seal . The engine buider just kept throwing a new rubber rear main seal at the problem instead of taking some time and trying to diagnose the reason for the leak. I'm not an engine guy and leave it to the experts to figure that stuff out.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back