Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

So when are the first aftermarket exhausts coming out

theprototype

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT5V Blackwing
I need to hear a little more of that classic z06 burble 😇

I'm going to copy and paste what @Mirza Grebovic said about the 5 in another forum.. I thought it was very interesting and may help other to decide if you are/would mod your BW.

He was talking about technical differences in the LT4 in the BW vs the ZL1/Z06..

your dealer should have a lot of technical information and presentation material they should be able to share from when Cadillac shared details. It should have a full breakdown of the engine details.

The engine itself did not get many upgrades outside of just a unique supercharger cover/lid to celebrate the Cadillac upgrade to the horsepower and torque. All of the upgrades were pretty much in the intake and the exhaust catalytic converters.

1) Intake: With lessons learned from all GM variants with the LT4, the CT5-V Blackwing received a totally unique, fully redesigned intake/induction that is cold air from factory, including a significant reduction in back pressure compared to CTS-V and even the ZL1. This improved the air in to the equation of making more power. The team also spent a lot of time to ensure driving through a rain storm and water ingestion was under control. The amount of aero work that went into the grille, the baffles behind the grill, the channeling of air into the box was very significant (and lost of fun!). To give you an idea how significant, our teams optimized to 1-2hp, we left nothing on the table with the restrictions in place, with very clear directions and inspiration from our leader Mr. Vivian.

2) The second part of the equation is breathing out, as such the CT5-V Blackwing is the only LT4 application that went to SVCC catalysts. Split volume catalytic converters. What this means is we went from 2 converters on each bank as on CTS-V and Camaro ZL1/Z06 to one singe large converter that has two bricks inside the pipe with the O2 sensor in between. This reduced the restriction in the exhaust significantly and was the main contributor to the breathe out equation. The routing of the exhaust also changed a tad to improve the cold end post converter and obviously the exhaust valves are the latest and greatest 100% full sweep capable exhaust valves. In summary, exhaust is all new including taking advantage of the VIP architecture capabilities and new control modules.

3) The CT5-V Blackwing is on the new VIP electrical architecture, Camaro/C7 were not. This allowed us to utilize the all new engine controller and in general new hardware mated to new processing power to recalibrate the engine completely, including the induction and exhaust improvements, to yield the most power full LT4 that is unique to the CT5-V Blackwing. Yes, the Escalade V has more power but as most know by now its not an LT4 exactly and is a unique engine for that very special entry in the V Series family.

4) Finally, outside of improving the breathing of the engine, keep it's temperature in check was key, for all of the components. The heat exchangers are different from those used on any Camaro or Corvette and the details into the aero there were nothing short of spectacular. Yes, I am biased but seriously, the attention the entire team did on this vehicle was beyond personal and one great example is how we shaped the fascia portion covering the front bumper beam. The team shaped the leading edges, the grille and the baffles, including the energy absorbing foam in such a fashion that it eliminated the dead spot behind the bumper beam so that cold air even hits the heat exchanges right behind it (this is inches of underutilized area. In addition, if you look at the transmission oil cooler sort of horizontal to ground at bottom, it is tiled backwards, this exposes the bottom of the main CRFM to ensure even that area is not underutilized on the main radiator. We then proceeded to ensure all heat exchanges from all directions, even the auxiliary ones, had enough sealing around them to not leak air past the radiators. This was probably one of the most exciting exercises to me personally. We had to reduce over lift on car, we had to cool the brakes, we had to prime the back of the car for brakes and aero, we had to direct air into the heat exchanges and ensure under hood pressure is controlled, while making sure driving at high speed through rain will not cause issues. The complexity and interaction of airflow around front fascia is so exciting and it's so important and we didn't compromise on any of it, making sure everything is taken care of.

My apologies for the long write up, I just can't stop talking when it comes to these V Series Blackwing cars, especially how exciting the technology push on the CT5-V Blackwing was to make it the best performance sedan in the world period. Enjoy the small image below of the radiator CFD I discussed above, your dealer should have copies of a lot more images and details including this one.

Congratulations on a very special vehicle, I hope you get to enjoy it to its fullest potential!

Intake kinda got me intrigued but at the same time, looking at the shape of the piping over the radiator, just feels like its a choke point since its narrows there. Wasnt sure why they didnt make it completely round all the way thru considering there seems to be alot of space between the tubing and the radiator/radiator fan cowling.

I'm going to copy and paste what @Mirza Grebovic said about the 5 in another forum.. I thought it was very interesting and may help other to decide if you are/would mod your BW.

He was talking about technical differences in the LT4 in the BW vs the ZL1/Z06..

your dealer should have a lot of technical information and presentation material they should be able to share from when Cadillac shared details. It should have a full breakdown of the engine details.

The engine itself did not get many upgrades outside of just a unique supercharger cover/lid to celebrate the Cadillac upgrade to the horsepower and torque. All of the upgrades were pretty much in the intake and the exhaust catalytic converters.

1) Intake: With lessons learned from all GM variants with the LT4, the CT5-V Blackwing received a totally unique, fully redesigned intake/induction that is cold air from factory, including a significant reduction in back pressure compared to CTS-V and even the ZL1. This improved the air in to the equation of making more power. The team also spent a lot of time to ensure driving through a rain storm and water ingestion was under control. The amount of aero work that went into the grille, the baffles behind the grill, the channeling of air into the box was very significant (and lost of fun!). To give you an idea how significant, our teams optimized to 1-2hp, we left nothing on the table with the restrictions in place, with very clear directions and inspiration from our leader Mr. Vivian.

2) The second part of the equation is breathing out, as such the CT5-V Blackwing is the only LT4 application that went to SVCC catalysts. Split volume catalytic converters. What this means is we went from 2 converters on each bank as on CTS-V and Camaro ZL1/Z06 to one singe large converter that has two bricks inside the pipe with the O2 sensor in between. This reduced the restriction in the exhaust significantly and was the main contributor to the breathe out equation. The routing of the exhaust also changed a tad to improve the cold end post converter and obviously the exhaust valves are the latest and greatest 100% full sweep capable exhaust valves. In summary, exhaust is all new including taking advantage of the VIP architecture capabilities and new control modules.

3) The CT5-V Blackwing is on the new VIP electrical architecture, Camaro/C7 were not. This allowed us to utilize the all new engine controller and in general new hardware mated to new processing power to recalibrate the engine completely, including the induction and exhaust improvements, to yield the most power full LT4 that is unique to the CT5-V Blackwing. Yes, the Escalade V has more power but as most know by now its not an LT4 exactly and is a unique engine for that very special entry in the V Series family.

4) Finally, outside of improving the breathing of the engine, keep it's temperature in check was key, for all of the components. The heat exchangers are different from those used on any Camaro or Corvette and the details into the aero there were nothing short of spectacular. Yes, I am biased but seriously, the attention the entire team did on this vehicle was beyond personal and one great example is how we shaped the fascia portion covering the front bumper beam. The team shaped the leading edges, the grille and the baffles, including the energy absorbing foam in such a fashion that it eliminated the dead spot behind the bumper beam so that cold air even hits the heat exchanges right behind it (this is inches of underutilized area. In addition, if you look at the transmission oil cooler sort of horizontal to ground at bottom, it is tiled backwards, this exposes the bottom of the main CRFM to ensure even that area is not underutilized on the main radiator. We then proceeded to ensure all heat exchanges from all directions, even the auxiliary ones, had enough sealing around them to not leak air past the radiators. This was probably one of the most exciting exercises to me personally. We had to reduce over lift on car, we had to cool the brakes, we had to prime the back of the car for brakes and aero, we had to direct air into the heat exchanges and ensure under hood pressure is controlled, while making sure driving at high speed through rain will not cause issues. The complexity and interaction of airflow around front fascia is so exciting and it's so important and we didn't compromise on any of it, making sure everything is taken care of.

My apologies for the long write up, I just can't stop talking when it comes to these V Series Blackwing cars, especially how exciting the technology push on the CT5-V Blackwing was to make it the best performance sedan in the world period. Enjoy the small image below of the radiator CFD I discussed above, your dealer should have copies of a lot more images and details including this one.

Congratulations on a very special vehicle, I hope you get to enjoy it to its fullest potential!
Sounds like the front end is for sure optimized. Don’t see how reducing the drag of the large original mufflers on the tail end can’t be improved though!

Agreed, this is the first car I can afford a true premium exhaust system on so I’m excited to see what the options are going to be!

Intake kinda got me intrigued but at the same time, looking at the shape of the piping over the radiator, just feels like its a choke point since its narrows there. Wasnt sure why they didnt make it completely round all the way thru considering there seems to be alot of space between the tubing and the radiator/radiator fan cowling.
The engine moves when you brake, not on solid mounts. The radiator is also on grommets. Both move. If the pipe was full diameter they would touch so sacrificed cross section for better turn into throttle. The full pipe cross section wasnt that big a difference.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back