Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Rear view mirror plastic cover removal tips?

AZHEAT

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
‘22 CT5-V Blackwing #68
In anticipation of delivery, I already hand my Blendmount radar detector mount and mirror tap. This is my third Blendmount/mirror tap install. Each one has taken longer than I would expect, but the end result has been terrific. However, with the Blackwing I aborted the mirror tap install before I even started due to the fact that the plastic cover appears to be in 2 pieces and when I popped off the large piece the small piece was still attached. I couldn’t determine how to separate the two pieces to allow access to the wiring. In the process, I came to realize I may have anger issues. Has anybody removed their mirror cover pieces yet? I would like to avoid breaking any plastic tabs in the process, but having a dangling radar detector cord is going to drive me crazy pretty quick.

Attachments

• D7C42C22-EC76-456D-A83E-1F87F64483A0.jpeg
    D7C42C22-EC76-456D-A83E-1F87F64483A0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 136
  • 671B4F7A-3608-4265-AE15-7CA64B221BD8.jpeg
    671B4F7A-3608-4265-AE15-7CA64B221BD8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 129
Watching

I just ordered a Blendmount yesterday. After seeing exactly what you describe above, I am opting to route the power across the headliner and down to under dash power. I haven't started to search for the right spot or route yet but I don't want to mess with a mirror tap on this one. If you find a way to do it though I'd be interested.

You can pretty easily pry apart the small plastic piece from the larger plastic piece. Then, you can pull both pieces away from the mirror and have good clearance to work your magic on the taps. My problem is I'm not mechanically inclined at all and couldn't get the taps to stick good as the little circuits things (you can clearly see my technical knowledge) have very little clearance. Plus, I didn't have a multi-meter to figure out which ones to use.

Long story short, I gave up and took it to my guy who hardwires stuff and $60 later he had hardwired my V1 and my dash camera to the accessory outlet at the back of the center console.

Anyway, if you figure out where to tap, I'm sure that info would be very valuable to many on here.

You can pretty easily pry apart the small plastic piece from the larger plastic piece. Then, you can pull both pieces away from the mirror and have good clearance to work your magic on the taps. My problem is I'm not mechanically inclined at all and couldn't get the taps to stick good as the little circuits things (you can clearly see my technical knowledge) have very little clearance. Plus, I didn't have a multi-meter to figure out which ones to use.

Long story short, I gave up and took it to my guy who hardwires stuff and $60 later he had hardwired my V1 and my dash camera to the accessory outlet at the back of the center console.

Anyway, if you figure out where to tap, I'm sure that info would be very valuable to many on here.
Well, You’ve given me the confidence to pry harder! I’ll see how it goes. I didn’t look inside the package yet, but I’m hopeful there are several sizes for the mirror tap ends to allow for a snug fit. There never seems to be adequate room to work and when you factor in poor visualization and the tendency to drop the tiny screws for the mount and/or the allen wrench, it can be extremely frustration. If successful, I’ll pay attention to wire color for power and ground and anything else that may reduce other’s frustration.

In anticipation of delivery, I already hand my Blendmount radar detector mount and mirror tap. This is my third Blendmount/mirror tap install. Each one has taken longer than I would expect, but the end result has been terrific. However, with the Blackwing I aborted the mirror tap install before I even started due to the fact that the plastic cover appears to be in 2 pieces and when I popped off the large piece the small piece was still attached. I couldn’t determine how to separate the two pieces to allow access to the wiring. In the process, I came to realize I may have anger issues. Has anybody removed their mirror cover pieces yet? I would like to avoid breaking any plastic tabs in the process, but having a dangling radar detector cord is going to drive me crazy pretty quick.
what is the blendmount model you got?

what is the blendmount model you got?
I ordered the Blendmount 2001R series. My specific SKU is BR7-2001R, however that specifies the specific radar detector fitment as well (Uniden R7). Your SKU will differ if you have another model radar detector.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back