Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PDR Audio

wschomburg

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V Blackwing
So I have been a fan of creating videos of trips I take using a dash cam. More for learning how to create multi format video as well as some ride along memories for trips I have taken. Just another hobby to add to the list. I do the same with drone video as well.
any hoo, I did my first video using the dashcam feature of the 5BW to capture my 500 mile tach change and a few other bits and noticed when listening to the audio capture from the PDR (Interior sounds and interior level of the exhaust note (read muted haha) that there is a lot of electronic noise in the background of the audio.

Curious if others have gotten to this level of entertainment with their PDR's and wondering if this is normal. I suspect yes as I'm sure the intent is to capture track video and not primarily hi fidelity audio, just curious what others have experienced.

Thoughts?

that there is a lot of electronic noise in the background of the audio.

What do you mean by "electronic noise"? Does it sounds like static, almost?

So I have been a fan of creating videos of trips I take using a dash cam. More for learning how to create multi format video as well as some ride along memories for trips I have taken. Just another hobby to add to the list. I do the same with drone video as well.
any hoo, I did my first video using the dashcam feature of the 5BW to capture my 500 mile tach change and a few other bits and noticed when listening to the audio capture from the PDR (Interior sounds and interior level of the exhaust note (read muted haha) that there is a lot of electronic noise in the background of the audio.

Curious if others have gotten to this level of entertainment with their PDR's and wondering if this is normal. I suspect yes as I'm sure the intent is to capture track video and not primarily hi fidelity audio, just curious what others have experienced.

Thoughts?
Someone had a fun experience of telling a cop they were wrong about their estimated speed and they had a track cam that could prove it lol

I've looked at a few back road drives. It's fun seeing all that telematic data. Reminds me of when I'd strap my go-pro to my helmet when friends and I would ride our motorcycles across NC.

Post up some of your video! Curious to see how well it came together splicing drone and PDR footage.

ANC feedback?

If it sounds like static, and it gets worse as the volume of noise gets louder, then there's nothing that can be done with the recording equipment in the car. But I want the OP to explain what he's hearing.

If it sounds like static, and it gets worse as the volume of noise gets louder, then there's nothing that can be done with the recording equipment in the car. But I want the OP to explain what he's hearing.
listen to this on a computer or current phone and you can hear it

OK. You're hearing clipping. Basically the audio is too loud for the camera's audio processor and it can't handle it. There's way too much road noise, wind noise, and sweet, glorious exhaust noise. All combined, it blows out the audio processing of the camera, and that's pretty much that. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it with the equipment in the car.

Your choices are: either deal with the noise, or buy an external audio recorder that can deal with the amplitude of sound, and sync the sound and video up in post afterward. I do this for the race track vids I used to produce (and will, again, once I have my car).

OK. You're hearing clipping. Basically the audio is too loud for the camera's audio processor and it can't handle it. There's way too much road noise, wind noise, and sweet, glorious exhaust noise. All combined, it blows out the audio processing of the camera, and that's pretty much that. It sucks, but there's nothing you can do about it with the equipment in the car.

Your choices are: either deal with the noise, or buy an external audio recorder that can deal with the amplitude of sound, and sync the sound and video up in post afterward. I do this for the race track vids I used to produce (and will, again, once I have my car).
Great thank you for this information. Somewhere I have a external Zoom stereo recorder I have used before for other videos I will give it a shot. Now if only I can find t after moving. Its been a year now where did I put that box..........

Great thank you for this information. Somewhere I have a external Zoom stereo recorder I have used before for other videos I will

Yep, that's the kind of thing you need.

That wasn't using the Z06's PDR because I wasn't keen on the 720p recording. Rather two GoPros, and a separate digital audio recorder. Start everything recording, clap my hands loudly to provide a sync marker, and go have fun on the track. Sync everything up in post, trim, sync up the telemetry stuff, and voila.

And you'll note that the wind noise does overtake the audio a bit at the end of the main straight. There's nothing you can do about that part. Wind noise in the car is just ever-present at speeds. But it's a very different sound than the clipping/static that you're referring to.

I'm going to necro this thread a bit. Something may have just been broken in this weekend, allowing me chance to dig into higher revs. Maybe. ;-) I grabbed my audio gear and a couple of SD cards, and did a thing. It was a short drive of a few miles, but the audio differences should highlight what I was posting about a few months ago:

The audio recorder I have is an older digital Roland R-09, and I had it sitting in the center console storage. Importantly, I also had a small lav mic clipped inside the trunk, then wired through the back seat pass-through, and to the Roland in the console. The mic placement isn't perfect, as it pics up the expected rear tire noise. And there's a treble-rich "tinny" sound to its audio, which I can monkey with in post. But it's vastly more clear than the boomy, muffled, and clipped sound from the PDR. Even at street speeds.

I'm going to necro this thread a bit. Something may have just been broken in this weekend, allowing me chance to dig into higher revs. Maybe. ;-) I grabbed my audio gear and a couple of SD cards, and did a thing. It was a short drive of a few miles, but the audio differences should highlight what I was posting about a few months ago:

The audio recorder I have is an older digital Roland R-09, and I had it sitting in the center console storage. Importantly, I also had a small lav mic clipped inside the trunk, then wired through the back seat pass-through, and to the Roland in the console. The mic placement isn't perfect, as it pics up the expected rear tire noise. And there's a treble-rich "tinny" sound to its audio, which I can monkey with in post. But it's vastly more clear than the boomy, muffled, and clipped sound from the PDR. Even at street speeds.
The Roland audio sounds like Fox NASCAR in car audio. ;)

The Roland audio sounds like Fox NASCAR in car audio.

Not really surprising. I'm sure those cars are all wired for sound. ;-)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back