Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Out of state purchase, California registration

I thought "readiness" had to do with how much you have driven it since the last cold start. Essentially, if you drive it enough on the trip to the DMV, everything in the OBD system should be "ready". Is that not the case?

My situation was with the CT5VBW and I've heard the Corvettes have the same issue but maybe the 4 is different.
Here's the information that applied to me: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171875-9999.pdf
I had over 800 miles on the car and it still wasn't ready (500 miles driving from Phoenix to LA). If you go beyond 1000 miles, you are not eligible to get a waiver either so I parked it until I could get the waiver.

I believe all new cars registered in CA require CA emissions on them regardless of where it was purchased. I don't recall whether NJ uses CA emssions standards but a lot of states do not. To be registered in CA without CA emissions, a car must be considered used. I think that requires the car to have 7500 or more miles. You should verify with your dealer if the car you bought has CA specific (50 state legal emssions). If it doesn't, this will be a major issue for you to get the car legally registered. Some dealers order 50 state legal cars for inventory even in states that don't require them so you might luck out.

^Oh sure, I've done the out of state car thing before - and Corwin Reno sell 30% of their stock to Californian-based folks so they have their end down.
I'd just not heard of a new car failing smog before (As afaik all marques only make 50 state vehicles anymore) so a potential interesting quirk although that TSB is old now and anecdotally more recently it's not been a problem.

Last edited:
My situation was with the CT5VBW and I've heard the Corvettes have the same issue but maybe the 4 is different.
Here's the information that applied to me: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171875-9999.pdf
I had over 800 miles on the car and it still wasn't ready (500 miles driving from Phoenix to LA). If you go beyond 1000 miles, you are not eligible to get a waiver either so I parked it until I could get the waiver.
Do you have a 50 state car (emissions)???

My car was ordered with the CA emissions option(YF5/NC7) from a dealer in Phoenix (based on my home address in CA). I did not choose "courtesy delivery" to my local dealer which would have avoided reregistering but I avoided my local dealer for a reason. I picked it up in AZ and drove it back, had the VIN verification done, paid my registration fees including the additional sales tax but hit the snag with the smog check. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I attempted the drive cycle on a seldom used road (checking with with my OBD II scan tool) but still couldn't get the O2 system to be ready (they don't care about the EVAP system readiness which was also not active). I could have tried to continue to drive it but I chose the waiver route from the CA BAR to complete the registration. For comparison, the 2020 GT350 I purchased new from an AZ dealer the previous year and trailered back to CA had less than 60 miles on it and passed the smog check without issue. If you do an internet search on "new 2022 C8 does not pass smog", you'll see where this is not unheard of at all on various GM vehicles.

My car was ordered with the CA emissions option(YF5/NC7) from a dealer in Phoenix (based on my home address in CA). I did not choose "courtesy delivery" to my local dealer which would have avoided reregistering but I avoided my local dealer for a reason. I picked it up in AZ and drove it back, had the VIN verification done, paid my registration fees including the additional sales tax but hit the snag with the smog check. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I attempted the drive cycle on a seldom used road (checking with with my OBD II scan tool) but still couldn't get the O2 system to be ready (they don't care about the EVAP system readiness which was also not active). I could have tried to continue to drive it but I chose the waiver route from the CA BAR to complete the registration. For comparison, the 2020 GT350 I purchased new from an AZ dealer the previous year and trailered back to CA had less than 60 miles on it and passed the smog check without issue. If you do an internet search on "new 2022 C8 does not pass smog", you'll see where this is not unheard of at all on various GM vehicles.
So, what was the end result? Is your car finally registered??

I'm assuming that these 3 codes and this discussion applies to the Ct5v BW and CT4v BWs?

(NE1 50 state emissions, NE8 Evaporate System Level 3, NUF Emission System California)

I plan to register a CT5v BW in California but purchasing out of state from Texas.

The NE1 & NUF codes seem redundant, 50 state legal and CA emissions?

They are redundant but California douche bag governor Newsom wants to suck every penny out of its citizens. Not only do you have to pay for a smog test but the extra $35-$50 will be charged every year as well when your registration is due.

They are redundant but California douche bag governor Newsom wants to suck every penny out of its citizens. Not only do you have to pay for a smog test but the extra $35-$50 will be charged every year as well when your registration is due.
It is a silly tax, especially on new/nearly new vehicles, but if you want to talk about dbags...

1974 Smog Check - Gov. Ronald Reagan (R): January 2, 1967 – January 6, 1975
1997 Smog Check II - Gov. Pete Wilson (R): January 7, 1991 – January 4, 1999

I’m thinking a Prius is more in line for you, lol. Newsom is not only cringe worthy as a politician but as a human being as well. And if you want to talk ancient history, we certainly can’t forget Jerry Brown in his 70s, Linda Ronstadt governorship as well as his more recent term where he was simply just out of his mind. Anyway, we’ll have to agree to disagree on wins for douchiest. You have your favorite si of mine. Don’t want to turn this into a political forum.

If you bought a new car you don't have to smog it for 8 years, then every other year you pay to smog (around $50). If you bought a used car that's 4 years old then you'd have to smog it at change of ownership.

Some people out here register in Montana or other states to avoid all that nonsense. If you mod your car with non CARB compliant parts you're rolling the dice. They train the police to know what to look for and sometimes they ask you to pop your hood if they think your car has illegal mods. They sack you with huge fines, tow your car and pull your registration until you go to a referee to have it put back to stock, for a smog retest. I've only lived here for 6 years and before that I was in IL for all my life. Maybe it's because i'm older now and I keep a lower profile but I used to consistently get pulled over in IL for all kinds of Micky Mouse violations. In 6 years I've only been pulled over once, he was cool about it and gave me a warning. I think the CHP have more important things to do and you have be driving like an absolute DB to get pulled over or if your car is blatantly modded in that 2Fast2Furious way.

684 miles of mixed break-in style driving and we're sorted. Smog check pass, onto the next step
20220711_141539.jpg

If you bought a new car you don't have to smog it for 8 years, then every other year you pay to smog (around $50). If you bought a used car that's 4 years old then you'd have to smog it at change of ownership.

Some people out here register in Montana or other states to avoid all that nonsense. If you mod your car with non CARB compliant parts you're rolling the dice. They train the police to know what to look for and sometimes they ask you to pop your hood if they think your car has illegal mods. They sack you with huge fines, tow your car and pull your registration until you go to a referee to have it put back to stock, for a smog retest. I've only lived here for 6 years and before that I was in IL for all my life. Maybe it's because i'm older now and I keep a lower profile but I used to consistently get pulled over in IL for all kinds of Micky Mouse violations. In 6 years I've only been pulled over once, he was cool about it and gave me a warning. I think the CHP have more important things to do and you have be driving like an absolute DB to get pulled over or if your car is blatantly modded in that 2Fast2Furious way.
If you buy it out of state (of CA) the dealer can do the work to register it in CA in which case you will not have to have it smog checked until at least 6 years later (by which time, the smog monitors should all be initialized). The dealer I ordered mine from in AZ registered it in AZ (temporary transport) so reregistering in CA required not only a smog check but also VIN verification. In my case, the dealer also titled the car in AZ so I had to retitle it in CA, not for registration but because I was refinancing with my CU (at 1.99%/72mo versus the rate the dealer sold it to me with) and they required it to be registered and titled in CA.

So far, I've not heard definitively that the CT4-V BW has the same smog readiness issues that the V8 has so it may be moot unless you have the 5.

And we're done.
Picked the car up on July 9th and got my plates August 2nd.
Cannot complain about any of the steps - even got the same nice lady at the DMV I talked to a couple weeks ago when I went in to pay the taxes.

Different out-of-state dealers will have different things they will or will not do, but following this made it simple (note dif was #7, they didn't mail to DMV and instead I got all the papers and went in myself, got the plates earlier then):
20220802_095431.jpg

I purchased my Raptor in Missouri and drove it back to CA, and I made sure I personally got the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin in my possession. After taking it for a smog check and getting it weighed, the CA DMV paperwork and inspection was a breeze. You actually don't even have to get it weighed if you have the MCO because it is akin to a birth certificate - the MCO certifies the weight of the vehicle. Some dealers are a little funny about giving it to you, but should not be an issue so long as you have paid in full and the check has cleared. I paid all taxes in CA at the DMV at the time of registration, not Missouri.

I personally would just get temp plates from the state you buy it in, or CA, then drive the vehicle 1000 miles before taking in for smog check. It sounds like you do not have to worry about keeping it under 800 miles if you have the CA compliant emissions sticker under the hood, which is what the inspector is looking for. It does NOT matter what the window sticker says... There is a specific code you need to make sure the sticker has on it, and you are good to go.

Again, it's the wording. Lug nut capacity. You don't air your tires to capacity do you? :p

I checked out the Lightning Lap videos for the CT4 and CT5, from the start of the lap through T16.

The CT4 carried more speed through every slow corner except Oak Tree, where the two cars tied. The slow speed corner delta was 1-to-4 mph in favor of the CT4. The CT5 was faster on the straights - a lot faster. Speed deltas in the short chutes between corners were 3-6 mph in favor of the CT5; on the longer straights the CT5 was 12-16 mph faster.

It looks like the CT5's speed in the short chutes is all by itself enough to offset the slower cornering speed. In the twisty bit of the track from the final marker for T1 through the turn in for T5, the CT5 was about 0.25 seconds faster despite being slower in every corner (the CT4 did that section in 29.53; CT5 in 29.26). And then on the straights the CT5 just piled the hurt on.

The CT5 looked like it was more work to drive. At the end of the back straight while turning in for T13, the driver was literally begging the car to slow down.

WHERECT4CT5CT4 minus CT5
Vmin T146451
Vmin T363612
Vmin T447461
Vmin T5a70673
Vmin T1090873
Vmin Oak Tree44440
Vmin T1339354
Vmin T15a-b52484
Vmin T1644431

WHERECT4CT5CT4 minus CT5
Start/Finish134146-12
Vmax T1 - T398101-3
Vmax T3 - T48891-3
Bridge118131-13
Vmax Back Straight134150-16
Vmax T13 - T15106112-6

It would be faster. But would be be better?

I guess it depends on how it makes that power. As much as I'd love to hear the wail of a naturally-aspirated flat-plane V8, the V8 would be heavier and would not tuck behind the front axle centerline like the V6 does. The car would feel different.

Lop a few hundred pounds off the curb weight, though ...

Thanks for asking the question. It made me curious.

I purchased my Raptor in Missouri and drove it back to CA, and I made sure I personally got the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin in my possession. After taking it for a smog check and getting it weighed, the CA DMV paperwork and inspection was a breeze. You actually don't even have to get it weighed if you have the MCO because it is akin to a birth certificate - the MCO certifies the weight of the vehicle. Some dealers are a little funny about giving it to you, but should not be an issue so long as you have paid in full and the check has cleared. I paid all taxes in CA at the DMV at the time of registration, not Missouri.

I personally would just get temp plates from the state you buy it in, or CA, then drive the vehicle 1000 miles before taking in for smog check. It sounds like you do not have to worry about keeping it under 800 miles if you have the CA compliant emissions sticker under the hood, which is what the inspector is looking for. It does NOT matter what the window sticker says... There is a specific code you need to make sure the sticker has on it, and you are good to go.

Purchased my Blackwing in Nevada, registered in Ca. The weighing of the vehicle is a bit puzzling to me. I didn’t ask for nor did anyone else ask for the MCO. All that was required was smog and VIN verification.

^Ya that was only for some trucks, not our cars.
Correct, weight only applies to trucks over 6000 lbs, or something to that effect. The point is, with the MCO and the sticker under the hood, there are no gotcha's to worry about. Some out of state dealers will send your registration to the CA for you, but I'd rather make sure I have complete possession rather than it accidentally going to out of state registration, etc.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back