Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Opinions on PPF options

Ramsman

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CTV-4 Blackwing
I just got a CT4-V BW and have been reading about PPF. I see that several owners have done this and recommend it. I had never heard of it prior to joining this forum but my other cars have chips in the paint and it would be nice to prevent this on my BW.

I found a place not too far from me that suggested two options. He said he would need the car a few days, he was guessing probably 5 business days.

Is anyone familiar with XPEL Ultimate Fusion vs Ultimate Plus 10? I am wondering if Option 2 is worth the extra cost.

Option 1 $3500 :
  • Full Front XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF (front bumper, fenders, headlights and mirrors)
  • XPEL Fusion Plus Premium 8-Year Ceramic Coating + Full New Car Prep Detail on remaining paint surfaces

Option 2 $4770 :
  • Full Front XPEL Ultimate Fusion PPF (front bumper, fenders, headlights and mirrors)
  • Full Front XPEL Ultimate Plus 10 10mil (PPF Package Upgrade) (front bumper, fenders, headlights and mirrors)
  • XPEL Fusion Plus Premium 8-Year Ceramic Coating + Full New Car Prep Detail on remaining paint surfaces

I've done both, but only recently got ultimate fusion.

Previous car had the regular stuff on the front clip, my 5BW has the ultimate fusion on the entire car. It's only been about two weeks or so that I've had it but the hydrophobic qualities are REAL. Water just sheets right off of it. Having said all that, in order to keep my 10 year warranty I have to bring the car in once a year for them to inspect it and add any more coating that may have come off.

Thanks, sounds like it may be worth paying more for option 2. I may stop by their shop today to check it out and get more details.

I have full car ppf (Llumar Valor with 12yr warranty)... which I love!

... but the truth is they are all good (and getting better and better) when properly applied, so that in most cases if you are not parked directly next to a vehicle with a higher value option, then you probably won't appreciate a difference.

Most important is the installer!
Make sure they are high quality/ reputable. Get local references and even check out their work on cars that they have worked on (recent & not so recent) if you are able.

Thanks, the place I am looking at has all 5 star reviews and an A+ rating with BBB. They have been in business over 10 years. I'm hoping when I stop by I can see some of their work.

I have full car ppf (Llumar Valor with 12yr warranty)... which I love!

... but the truth is they are all good (and getting better and better) when properly applied, so that in most cases if you are not parked directly next to a vehicle with a higher value option, then you probably won't appreciate a difference.

Most important is the installer!
Make sure they are high quality/ reputable. Get local references and even check out their work on cars that they have worked on (recent & not so recent) if you are able.
I have to also agree that the most important part is the installer. You can have the best materials possible but if the person doing it sucks, it doesn't matter.

I did full XPEL PPF on my 5BW. Definitely did not want to deal with rock chips. Cost nearly $7K, and that was semi-rural Illinois pricing. The closest metropolitan shops wanted close to $10K.

I didn't PPF my low-mile '02 911 when I bought it several years ago. It was only $2K for the front end but I was like "why would I pay 10% of the car's value for PPF?". Then I took it to a couple track days and earned some rock chips, and have been sad ever since that I did not PPF it when I got it.

I stopped by the shop and was impressed. They had several nice cars getting PPF, ceramic coating and window tints. I misunderstood the options. Option 1 is correct and includes the Ultimate Fusion 9 mil film. Option 2 just replaces that with the Ultimate Plus 10 which is a 10 mil film. He said most people get the Ultimate Fusion 9 mil so I am leaning towards that.
After it's done they want me to bring it back after a few months to check everything and then once a year to check it.

I stopped by the shop and was impressed. They had several nice cars getting PPF, ceramic coating and window tints. I misunderstood the options. Option 1 is correct and includes the Ultimate Fusion 9 mil film. Option 2 just replaces that with the Ultimate Plus 10 which is a 10 mil film. He said most people get the Ultimate Fusion 9 mil so I am leaning towards that.
After it's done they want me to bring it back after a few months to check everything and then once a year to check it.
I see you are in Maryland. I get my BW in about 25 days and I am scheduled with Annapolis Performance Coatings.

Where you going?

I see you are in Maryland. I get my BW in about 25 days and I am scheduled with Annapolis Performance Coatings.

Where you going?
I'm in Harford county and have been talking to A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill. They suggested that I get some touch up paint in case they find anything while prepping. In talking to the parts guy at the dealer it sounds like it may take over a week to get the Cyber Yellow so it looks like I'll be waiting a bit for the coating.

I'm in Harford county and have been talking to A Plus Auto Styling in Forest Hill. They suggested that I get some touch up paint in case they find anything while prepping. In talking to the parts guy at the dealer it sounds like it may take over a week to get the Cyber Yellow so it looks like I'll be waiting a bit for the coating.
Nice. I am in Howard County. I head into Harford a few times, especially when I head to my home town of NJ. You got a new Cyber Yellow? A few days to a week sounds about right. My guy is 100 yards from the Cadillac Dealer in Annapolis. I will drop it off there and give him whatever he needs to get it done.

You don't need to source touch up paint from the dealer, unless their body shop has a paint mixing system in their paint shop. Most do nowadays, so check with the body shop, not the parts department. Otherwise look for the local "autobody paint and supply distributors" in your area. They are the suppliers to the dealerships and body shops in your area. I was a PPG distributor in Ohio for 36 years.

I am checking out another shop in PA that someone my wife works with recommended. They use STEK PPF. Apparently they use to use XPEL until they started outsourcing the adhesive on their film. They also use Polysilazane rather than Ceramic coating (Si3N4 instead of Sio2). They found that it holds up longer. They also don't need me to have touch up paint. If they need any paint they will have it mixed at an auto body shop.

Does anyone have an opinion on STEK vs XPEL? Anyone heard of Polysilazane?
Even though this shop is pretty far away I am considering it based on the better price and recommendation.

I am checking out another shop in PA that someone my wife works with recommended. They use STEK PPF. Apparently they use to use XPEL until they started outsourcing the adhesive on their film. They also use Polysilazane rather than Ceramic coating (Si3N4 instead of Sio2). They found that it holds up longer. They also don't need me to have touch up paint. If they need any paint they will have it mixed at an auto body shop.

Does anyone have an opinion on STEK vs XPEL? Anyone heard of Polysilazane?
Even though this shop is pretty far away I am considering it based on the better price and recommendation.
I’ve had 1 car done in STEK and 2 done in XPEL. I’m EXPEL all of the way.

What aspects of XPEL do you prefer over STEK? Did you have any issues with STEK?
It’s hard to put into words and perhaps the installers had something to do with it but, my preference is definitely with EXPEL.

I'm going to have to disagree with the collective here. Stay away from Xpel PPF unless you like the look of orange peel. On the car I had it on it also yellowed slightly. There are several better options out there (Legend or Prestige for example). The only reason Xpel is so popular is they have a large advertising budget, pay Google to put them at the top of searches and have no problem leveraging installers to eliminate the competition and hype their product.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks at the PA place that uses STEK PPF. It's a little farther away but they also have great reviews and are less expensive. We hope to check out the shop this weekend before taking the car.
He is suggesting that I consider in addition to the front bumper, fenders, hood and mirrors adding PPF to the rockers and lower part of the doors. Does that sound like a good idea? The entire car will also get Ceramic ( Polysilazane ) coating.

My plan for next week is full nose, A pillars & leading edge of roof (I have sunroof), rockers, & full doors; my thought for the latter is to help with door ding protection. Won't prevent a dent but should help with scratches that go with the dent.

I have an appointment in 2 weeks at the PA place that uses STEK PPF. It's a little farther away but they also have great reviews and are less expensive. We hope to check out the shop this weekend before taking the car.
He is suggesting that I consider in addition to the front bumper, fenders, hood and mirrors adding PPF to the rockers and lower part of the doors. Does that sound like a good idea? The entire car will also get Ceramic ( Polysilazane ) coating.
That's what I did on my 5BW.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners