Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Opinions on BAT, Cars & Bids and FB Marketplace?

Powerhungry

Seasoned Member
Hey gurus - need your views: Looking to sell my 05 Honda S2k to finance a portion of the upcoming 5BW. Should I use Bring a Trailer (BAT), Cars and Bids, or FB Marketplace? Or any others such as Hemmings, Autotrader, etc.? All I've used in the past is Craigslist.

Re: BAT and Cars and Bids:
  • Should I sell at no reserve? The sites seem to encourage that, but I don't want the car to be stolen by a low bidder.
  • Can I cancel the auction if pricing is below my threshold?
  • Seems to me that Cars and Bids is easier (BAT has to 'approve' of the listing) and also cheaper - free to list - and is focused on newer (post '80) cars. Pros/cons?
  • Also - I've never sold to anyone out of state...anything to be on the alert for re: scams etc?
BTW: my S2k is Suzuka blue, has 64k miles and is completely stock, all VIN tags intact, TX car with no rust. DM me if interested.

Thanks!

Hey there,
Great car by the way. I had 2000 GPW with red interior, miss that car and regretted selling it.

I'm pretty familiar with BAT and C&B's and watching these sites is part of my daily ritual. I can tell you that from what I've seen you will historically get more for your vehicle on BAT. They have been around longer, more people are familiar with them and they have more volume. Every week, I see vehicles on there that sell for batshit crazy money, well beyond what they should ever sell for. I'm talking about regular daily drivers not just the special, rare or limited cars. Something like an S2K, you will get very good money for, prob over MSRP. They recently sold a 09 CR for $200k, granted it was new but that's 4x what it was worth new.

Did you look at the stats for the s2k?
S2000

*Some BAT Cons:
-I heard that BAT takes at least a month or so before they'd consider posting it so there's that to consider.
-In some cases BAT may tell you what the Reserve is, you may only be able to choose NR or Reserve.
-BAT Buyer fees are 5% of the sale, where C&B is 4.5%.
-You're dealing with a bigger auction house that has alot of volume, whereas C&Bs is a smaller, newer operation. C&B's just had their 2 year anniversary.

Some C&B's Cons:
-They aren't as well known and established as BAT. They haven't sold nearly as many vehicles.

Here's my response to your Q's:
  • Should I sell at no reserve? The sites seem to encourage that, but I don't want the car to be stolen by a low bidder. This is a gut call, but use the historical data I sent you in the link to determine your color, yr and mi to determine what someone would actually pay, you could see if a similar car sold for more based on NR vs Reserve. If you go C&B's I suggest putting a reserve for whatever the lowest you're willing to take for the car. Typically you get more money for NR because people bid sooner and that starts bidding wars sooner. The more bids the more money you get.
  • Can I cancel the auction if pricing is below my threshold? No, that's the point of having a Reserve. If you want to do something like that then EBay allows that to some extend. You would have to buy seller fees so keep that in mind.
  • Seems to me that Cars and Bids is easier (BAT has to 'approve' of the listing) and also cheaper - free to list - and is focused on newer (post '80) cars. Pros/cons? Yea I'd say C&B's is more flexible than BAT. BAT is selective about the cars they choose. I like both and I would touch base with both places and see what they say. *see above.
  • Also - I've never sold to anyone out of state...anything to be on the alert for re: scams etc? I personally haven't sold on either site but I've sold over a dozen vehicles private party. I think you'll be fine, if something makes you uncomfortable then don't agree to it. You can ask the auction house for help and guidance if you feel there is foul play. In the past when i sold to out of state buyers, I would Take Certified Checks and MO's only. This large amount I would avoid cash, personal checks and wire transfers. Get a Buyers Order template online and get things signed so there's a record of what you agreed to with the Buyer.

I sold an '07 Honda S2000 on Bring a Trailer back in March 2021, when I thought that prices had gone crazy, but they were really just getting started. [If you care: 15k-Mile 2007 Honda S2000]

@Neveready hits the highlights and answers yours questions----it is a somewhat long process, particularly with S2000's because they usually have a queue of them in the pipeline. However, its the biggest audience and has a loyal S2000 following, which has its pros and cons, but will likely result in the highest price.

My unasked for commentary on yours is that Suzuka Blue is a plus and mileage a minus from BAT's perspective.

Have you thought about putting it in the classified section of S2ki (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sale-109/)?

Hey there,
Great car by the way. I had 2000 GPW with red interior, miss that car and regretted selling it.

I'm pretty familiar with BAT and C&B's and watching these sites is part of my daily ritual. I can tell you that from what I've seen you will historically get more for your vehicle on BAT. They have been around longer, more people are familiar with them and they have more volume. Every week, I see vehicles on there that sell for batshit crazy money, well beyond what they should ever sell for. I'm talking about regular daily drivers not just the special, rare or limited cars. Something like an S2K, you will get very good money for, prob over MSRP. They recently sold a 09 CR for $200k, granted it was new but that's 4x what it was worth new.

Did you look at the stats for the s2k?
S2000

*Some BAT Cons:
-I heard that BAT takes at least a month or so before they'd consider posting it so there's that to consider.
-In some cases BAT may tell you what the Reserve is, you may only be able to choose NR or Reserve.
-BAT Buyer fees are 5% of the sale, where C&B is 4.5%.
-You're dealing with a bigger auction house that has alot of volume, whereas C&Bs is a smaller, newer operation. C&B's just had their 2 year anniversary.

Some C&B's Cons:
-They aren't as well known and established as BAT. They haven't sold nearly as many vehicles.

Here's my response to your Q's:
  • Should I sell at no reserve? The sites seem to encourage that, but I don't want the car to be stolen by a low bidder. This is a gut call, but use the historical data I sent you in the link to determine your color, yr and mi to determine what someone would actually pay, you could see if a similar car sold for more based on NR vs Reserve. If you go C&B's I suggest putting a reserve for whatever the lowest you're willing to take for the car. Typically you get more money for NR because people bid sooner and that starts bidding wars sooner. The more bids the more money you get.
  • Can I cancel the auction if pricing is below my threshold? No, that's the point of having a Reserve. If you want to do something like that then EBay allows that to some extend. You would have to buy seller fees so keep that in mind.
  • Seems to me that Cars and Bids is easier (BAT has to 'approve' of the listing) and also cheaper - free to list - and is focused on newer (post '80) cars. Pros/cons? Yea I'd say C&B's is more flexible than BAT. BAT is selective about the cars they choose. I like both and I would touch base with both places and see what they say. *see above.
  • Also - I've never sold to anyone out of state...anything to be on the alert for re: scams etc? I personally haven't sold on either site but I've sold over a dozen vehicles private party. I think you'll be fine, if something makes you uncomfortable then don't agree to it. You can ask the auction house for help and guidance if you feel there is foul play. In the past when i sold to out of state buyers, I would Take Certified Checks and MO's only. This large amount I would avoid cash, personal checks and wire transfers. Get a Buyers Order template online and get things signed so there's a record of what you agreed to with the Buyer.
Thanks so much for all this super detailed info - much appreciated! GPW with white must have been really striking - I haven't seen that combo. . Given that I don't want to wait for BAT, I may just sell direct on FB or the S2K forum. Also considering Hennings and AutoTrader. Prices have indeed gone crazy - if I'm lucky maybe I can come close to MSRP. That would be absolutely incredible if it were to happen!

Aug07 348.jpg
Aug07 350.jpg
Aug07 343.jpg

I sold an '07 Honda S2000 on Bring a Trailer back in March 2021, when I thought that prices had gone crazy, but they were really just getting started. [If you care: 15k-Mile 2007 Honda S2000]

@Neveready hits the highlights and answers yours questions----it is a somewhat long process, particularly with S2000's because they usually have a queue of them in the pipeline. However, its the biggest audience and has a loyal S2000 following, which has its pros and cons, but will likely result in the highest price.

My unasked for commentary on yours is that Suzuka Blue is a plus and mileage a minus from BAT's perspective.

Have you thought about putting it in the classified section of S2ki (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sale-109/)?
Thanks so much - I really appreciate your input! I may indeed list on S2ki - great suggestion! Not sure what to ask but I guess it's better to start a little higher than where I expect to end up. It's amazing to think that these are now going for close to - or even over - original MSRP!

I don't have any advice to add, but I will be watching your outcome carefully...I also have an '05 S2000 with 62k miles and bone stock. No plans to sell mine at the moment, but if yours goes for a great price... who knows?

View attachment 9495
I guess I'm the canary in the coal mine (even though yours is canary yellow)!:boogie

The early ap1s don't get as much coin because they have a plastic rear window, less exterior flare, interior trim and storage compartments. Also they are way sketchier to drive at the limit than an AP2. The Ap2 mechanically speaking, is more sorted and refined. This red one had minor damage and moderate miles for a weekend car.

44k mi SBM below average example. This one had 2 accidents, one which rendered it undrivable. $24k and it didn't meet the reserve.

If yours is in average to above average condition with no accidents then I should certainly expect it to go for $30k+

Edit: Sorry wrong copy and paste😀

Last edited:
Crazy, when my 2005 s2k was totaled in 2015 insurance gave me $20k for it. Can't say I'm surprised it's gone up in value with how pure of a sports car it is (including the manual tranny) but still hard to wrap my mind around that happening with average priced cars lol.

Crazy, when my 2005 s2k was totaled in 2015 insurance gave me $20k for it. Can't say I'm surprised it's gone up in value with how pure of a sports car it is (including the manual tranny) but still hard to wrap my mind around that happening with average priced cars lol.
speaking of insurance, I'm surprised insurance hasn't spiked with cars being worth so much more than this time 3 years ago. Auto rates in Texas spiked frequently but they blamed it on population and "getting back to normal after COVID"

Hey gurus - need your views: Looking to sell my 05 Honda S2k to finance a portion of the upcoming 5BW. Should I use Bring a Trailer (BAT), Cars and Bids, or FB Marketplace? Or any others such as Hemmings, Autotrader, etc.? All I've used in the past is Craigslist.

Re: BAT and Cars and Bids:
  • Should I sell at no reserve? The sites seem to encourage that, but I don't want the car to be stolen by a low bidder.
  • Can I cancel the auction if pricing is below my threshold?
  • Seems to me that Cars and Bids is easier (BAT has to 'approve' of the listing) and also cheaper - free to list - and is focused on newer (post '80) cars. Pros/cons?
  • Also - I've never sold to anyone out of state...anything to be on the alert for re: scams etc?
BTW: my S2k is Suzuka blue, has 64k miles and is completely stock, all VIN tags intact, TX car with no rust. DM me if interested.

Thanks!

Local Michigander, in Rochester Hills. I'm a huge S2000 fan (owned 3 already). Have been looking for a local one. Feel free to call/text me at 248-229-3713 to see if we can work out a deal, depending price and condition etc.

Regards,
Christopher

Local Michigander, in Rochester Hills. I'm a huge S2000 fan (owned 3 already). Have been looking for a local one. Feel free to call/text me at 248-229-3713 to see if we can work out a deal, depending price and condition etc.

Regards,
Christopher
Just saw this - haven't been on here in a couple of days. Will contact you. Thx!

I think I saw you said your S2000 sold recently, did you use C&B or any of the other auction sites?

I'm considering putting my RC F up, but I feel like the reserve I want to set it going to be on the high side unfortunately due to the weird market for the car. I wanted to list on clublexus but they apparently require 30 days to list classifieds

I think I saw you said your S2000 sold recently, did you use C&B or any of the other auction sites?

I'm considering putting my RC F up, but I feel like the reserve I want to set it going to be on the high side unfortunately due to the weird market for the car. I wanted to list on clublexus but they apparently require 30 days to list classifieds

What car is next? Didn't you only have the RC F for like 23 seconds?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back