Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Opinion about ceramic coating?

Engineering Explained actually did a pretty good video on ceramic coatings and paint protection films a while back. Worth checking out if you're not super familiar with the process.

Still, the whole thing sounds like it's going to be a bit more expensive than I thought...
Excellent video. That makes things a lot clearer.
It looks like to get the best of both worlds, it would PPF and the ceramic coating on top but from the numbers I'm seeing, it's going to be a lot more than I want to spend.

What would be next option?

Full front wrap and maybe rocker panels and part of rear quarters then ceramic coat everything. Will cut quite a bit off and generally protect what needs to be protected from chips and minor scratches. My opinion anyway.

It looks like to get the best of both worlds, it would PPF and the ceramic coating on top but from the numbers I'm seeing, it's going to be a lot more than I want to spend.

PPF with a sealer. The sealer is easily applied like wax.

that solely depends on what you're comfortable spending...
some typical prices from very reputable installers
full PPF w/ceramic $7K
Full PPF wrap $5K-$6500
high end ceramic and paint correction $2K-$3200
Ceramic w/PPF bra $3500ish

all prices are really just what I've seen here in California and could be much different where you live.

that solely depends on what you're comfortable spending...
some typical prices from very reputable installers
full PPF w/ceramic $7K
Full PPF wrap $5K-$6500
high end ceramic and paint correction $2K-$3200
Ceramic w/PPF bra $3500ish

all prices are really just what I've seen here in California and could be much different where you live.
That’s about it in SoCal. For example, I paid $6k for full Expel PPF along with windshield protection by Expel’s top installer on my ZL1 1LE.

so, as a person who has 4 vehicles and 3 of them currently ceramic coated I would highly recommend it....HOWEVER!!!, I would not let a dealership do it. Have a professional detailing shop do it so you can make sure they do a very good paint correction first or else you are going to have a ceramic coating over the factory imperfections in your paint and you will never get them out.
If you have IG look up Elite Finish Detailing and browse through some of their work to get an idea of what a great detailing shop can do for your "factory perfect" paint job.
Car Pro makes a great line of ceramic coating called CQuartz I have the Finest Reserve line on my ZL1, the Professional line on my wife's XT6, and the UK 3.0 on my CTS-V...all of them are great but the finest reserve and pro lines can only be applied by a car pro certified detail shop.
My ZL1 has not had a water bath in over 2 years and still looks perfect with no spider webbing at all.
As for the CT5-V BW it will be going to Elite Finish on the trailer straight from the dealership for full STEK clear or satin PPF and CQuartz pro ceramic over the top of the PPF (overkill but thats fine by me)
I got several matches for Elite Finish Detailing...are they a nationwide mobile service or local to your area?

No, Elite Finish is not mobile and they are only in San Diego and Carson City, NV currently (if I'm not mistaken). Plans are to start opening locations in different areas but for now that's all I know of.

A sealer is not ceramic coating...a quality ceramic coating can (usually) only be applied by a professional licensed detailer who should have gone through some sort of certification for the specific brand of coating they are applying.
It's easy to get confused as there are thousands of products available from places like chemical guys, Adams, Jax wax etc. just to name a few. that claim to be "ceramic coating" those are not the real deal. have a coating applied by a professional shop and then maintain it with a product that they suggest...thats the best course of action. If they are good, they should have your car for about 3 days.

awesome video - now I'm a lot less confused!

No, Elite Finish is not mobile and they are only in San Diego and Carson City, NV currently (if I'm not mistaken). Plans are to start opening locations in different areas but for now that's all I know of.

A sealer is not ceramic coating...a quality ceramic coating can (usually) only be applied by a professional licensed detailer who should have gone through some sort of certification for the specific brand of coating they are applying.
It's easy to get confused as there are thousands of products available from places like chemical guys, Adams, Jax wax etc. just to name a few. that claim to be "ceramic coating" those are not the real deal. have a coating applied by a professional shop and then maintain it with a product that they suggest...thats the best course of action. If they are good, they should have your car for about 3 days.
Thanks for clarifying!

Is a sealer the same thing as a ceramic coating? Sorry, very confused...
It is not. Ceramic coating is much better. I’m a firm believer in ceramic coating over PPF now.

It is not. Ceramic coating is much better. I’m a firm believer in ceramic coating over PPF now.
Don't they really serve different purposes though? Ceramic is more to keep it clean and prevent fine surface scratches, while PPF protects against rock chips and larger scratches?

Don't they really serve different purposes though? Ceramic is more to keep it clean and prevent fine surface scratches, while PPF protects against rock chips and larger scratches?
Yes but, ceramic over PPF is the best possible combination for both protection and ease of maintenance.

Yes but, ceramic over PPF is the best possible combination for both protection and ease of maintenance.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant ceramic "over" PPF as in you preferred ceramic in favor of PPF

I think from a aesthetic maintenance standpoint ceramic is undeniably worth it. My last vehicle was a Porsche 718 GTS and I had PPF on the front/hoods/rocker, as well as ceramic over the whole car, including the wheels and brakes.

Having the ceramic made washes comically easy. I would go to a self service car wash and hose down the car with soap and then rinse it, and that was it. No need for washmitts or anything.

PPF over ceramic is not an option I would consider.

Use PFF on any areas that are forward facing and subject to impacts. Nose, hood, side view mirrors, etc.

Applying PPF over a ceramic is really difficult and can introduce some problems. The adhesive used for PPF doesn't bond with Ceramic (the whole point of ceramic is nothing will bond with it). While the film may stay 'attached' for a short period, it's far more likely to lift/bubble. Almost no reputable shop will recommend PPF over ceramic. They should recommend a very through paint correction prior to any PPF.

Great info here as I've never done PPF or ceramic coating. I had planned to do PPF on the front end and ceramic coating all over as soon as my 5BW arrives. However, I am little bit concerned about potential paint damage when the PPF is eventually removed and am still considering on ceramic coating (the car will NOT be daily driven). My detailer said it's possible but very unlikely if the PPF is properly installed and properly removed (years later). Anyone have any experience removing their PPF after some number of years? Were there any issues?

Great info here as I've never done PPF or ceramic coating. I had planned to do PPF on the front end and ceramic coating all over as soon as my 5BW arrives. However, I am little bit concerned about potential paint damage when the PPF is eventually removed and am still considering on ceramic coating (the car will NOT be daily driven). My detailer said it's possible but very unlikely if the PPF is properly installed and properly removed (years later). Anyone have any experience removing their PPF after some number of years? Were there any issues?
My Bud purchased a ride that had film on it for 6 years, came off pretty easy and only required minimum wiping/cleaning to remove residue.

PPF over ceramic is not an option I would consider.

Use PFF on any areas that are forward facing and subject to impacts. Nose, hood, side view mirrors, etc.

Applying PPF over a ceramic is really difficult and can introduce some problems. The adhesive used for PPF doesn't bond with Ceramic (the whole point of ceramic is nothing will bond with it). While the film may stay 'attached' for a short period, it's far more likely to lift/bubble. Almost no reputable shop will recommend PPF over ceramic. They should recommend a very through paint correction prior to any PPF.
Did anyone actually suggest that?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners