Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

No Lift Shift Question

raptor5244

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - 46-381
Does the accelerator need to be pressed to the floor in order for NLS to work or can you be at like 60% throttle as long as you are over 3000 RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and over 2000 RPM in 4th, 5th?

If you look at the tach, there's a shaded section just before redline. Within that window is where the car would no lift shift. I just cant remember if itll do it in every drive mode or not. I only drive the car on mymode and V mode...

If you look at the tach, there's a shaded section just before redline. Within that window is where the car would no lift shift. I just cant remember if itll do it in every drive mode or not. I only drive the car on mymode and V mode...
From the CT4-V Manual.
I will have to try it again with the pedal fully depressed. I think I was like 60-70%, but I was at around 5,500 RPM. I am trying to retrain my brain to keep my right foot planted between shifts. It is actually hard to do after so many years of shifting.

Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 10.39.43 PM.png

I am trying to retrain my brain to keep my right foot planted between shifts. It is actually hard to do after so many years of shifting.

I owned manuals from 1983 through this past July. That's 39 years. I owned exclusively manuals for 35 of those years.

I question whether I will be able make myself even attempt a no-lift shit.

I owned manuals from 1983 through this past July. That's 39 years. I owned exclusively manuals for 35 of those years.

I had a Mustang Mach 1 with this feature and just like you I had a very hard time getting myself to do the no lift shift. But once you get the hang of it, its a blast.

No lift shift is a great feature for track driving. You are tracking out of a corner in 3rd and there’s a straightaway where you bang it into 4th. You have to be really close to redline before the shift. It’s better to do it in a straight line, as it sometimes unsettles the car. I wouldn’t bother doing it 4-5.

Dump it. The whole point is fast acceleration. Hence the car is a little unsettled. No issues if you are tracking out in a straight line.

From what I've heard the hardest part is finding a place with enough room to go WOT long enough to need a shift. I'm told the BWs pick up speed exponentially quicker than than Vs I test drove and the Vs were pretty quick, triple digits show up before you finish listening to and admire the exhaust note..

From what I've heard the hardest part is finding a place with enough room to go WOT long enough to need a shift. I'm told the BWs pick up speed exponentially quicker than than Vs I test drove and the Vs were pretty quick, triple digits show up before you finish listening to and admire the exhaust note..
Also true. The 1-2 shift is the only one under the maximum speed limit. And going WOT in first usually comes with traction issues. 2-3 is good, but 3-4 is pretty magical.

Same here brother. Unfortunately I recall breaking a few input shafts from speed shifting at the track..

Also true. The 1-2 shift is the only one under the maximum speed limit. And going WOT in first usually comes with traction issues. 2-3 is good, but 3-4 is pretty magical.

Yeah, the shorter gearing of the 4BW lets you wind them out a little more but it is really still too much power for the street. Looking at the pics below, about 45mph in 1st, 66mph in 2nd and 98mph in 3rd. Compare that to the taller 5BW M6 gearing of 58mph in 1st, 83mph in 2nd and 113mph in 3rd.

IMO, on the street, the Miata and its really short gears (6th gear is 1:1 on ND) makes it the most fun to hoon around on the street but once you get to highway/track speeds, the power of our boosted 4BW/5BWs makes them more fun.

CT4-V Blackwing speed in gear
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 6.25.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 6.15.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 6.15.42 PM.png

Last edited:
Yeah, the shorter gearing of the 4BW lets you wind them out a little more but it is really still too much power for the street. Looking at the pics below, about 45mph in 1st, 66mph in 2nd and 98mph in 3rd. Compare that to the taller 5BW M6 gearing of 58mph in 1st, 83mph in 2nd and 113mph in 3rd.

IMO, on the street, the Miata and its really short gears (6th gear is 1:1 on ND) makes it the most fun to hoon around on the street but once you get to highway/track speeds, the power of our boosted 4BW/5BWs makes them more fun.

CT4-V Blackwing speed in gear
View attachment 12611
View attachment 12612
View attachment 12613
You were going so fast you experienced some einstein redshift!

You were going so fast you experienced some einstein redshift!

Haha, I grabbed those screenshots from YouTube but redline does come up pretty quickly in these cars.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back