Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

new guy here

Sorry for the delay in updating. I got the new car. It has the same rattle. LOL. And now that Hib has pointed out the TSB on the issue, there is really nothing to be done. I've just been unlucky enough to get 2 cars with the same problem. Just for grins, I headed up to the dealership and took a manual car off the lot. Same rattle, yet not as pronounced. It's basically like the new car- starts out pretty low in volume, but gets louder with time. The new one may even be louder than the first. Cadillac doesn't care.

I did get my refund for my first month's payment, which was nice.

I guess what bugs me now is why I even went through the repurchase exercise, when the TSB was released in January and I got my car in March. If Cadillac customer service had just pointed to the TSB when I first brought this up, I wouldn't have bothered with the repurchase. I do like the new one better as it is built to my exact specs, but it all feels like a rather pointless exercise at this point. I don't know why they bothered either.

GM Still Needs Intelligent Service Systems

Hello SEATS - glad to see your dealer and staff stuck with you through all the pains and a repurchase, you are only the 2nd person I've ever heard such a story as they are decently rare, at least here in Missouri. Usually when the regional guy gets involved some kind of settlement is attempted to avoid a lemon claim.

I am not sure if my ATS-V has the same issue but I am set to go back for some window tints so I will see about having them check to make sure the car has been serviced for any TSBs.

This is an example, something I pointed out to my own dealer that GM's computer systems are not yet smart enough to track and inform the dealer or the owner even of such incidents. And it's quite possible, I build that kind of thing for a living, I tend to think in some manner that is how GM avoids cost - you must inform the customer on a recall, TSB isn't under the same scrutiny. If the customer doesn't find out about it, that's one less trip and warranty service they don't have to pay for. I wish that wasn't the case in the name of customer service, but someone is figuring out every tiny slip to cut a corner and increase the profits.

Hello SEATS - glad to see your dealer and staff stuck with you through all the pains and a repurchase, you are only the 2nd person I've ever heard such a story as they are decently rare, at least here in Missouri. Usually when the regional guy gets involved some kind of settlement is attempted to avoid a lemon claim.

I am not sure if my ATS-V has the same issue but I am set to go back for some window tints so I will see about having them check to make sure the car has been serviced for any TSBs.

This is an example, something I pointed out to my own dealer that GM's computer systems are not yet smart enough to track and inform the dealer or the owner even of such incidents. And it's quite possible, I build that kind of thing for a living, I tend to think in some manner that is how GM avoids cost - you must inform the customer on a recall, TSB isn't under the same scrutiny. If the customer doesn't find out about it, that's one less trip and warranty service they don't have to pay for. I wish that wasn't the case in the name of customer service, but someone is figuring out every tiny slip to cut a corner and increase the profits.

hi there, and thanks. yes, it does seem sporadic. some guys on other forums have the same issue, some don't. it just sucks that i got 2 cars with the same issue. i guess it has to become prevalent enough to warrant action on GM's part. i will say it sounds like a$$ and totally tarnishes my experience.

when i last visited the dealership, the service manager told me that the regional engineer had been driving my old car around, and had asked if i had tried tour mode, which i of course have. it is not as loud in tour mode, but who wants to drive around in tour mode, unless you are on a long highway drive? not an acceptable solution.

What to Listen For

Thanks for your input SEATS - it's been raining here pretty much non-stop since I got home, can you give me a little insight into what I should be listening for to know if I have the rattle? I generally drive my ATS in Sport mode. Will it make this noise while idling? The car is new enough at this point I could probably have them look up the TSB and make sure if they can't fix it now that they will be on the hook for it when an appropriate fix is found (warranty).

Thanks for your input SEATS - it's been raining here pretty much non-stop since I got home, can you give me a little insight into what I should be listening for to know if I have the rattle? I generally drive my ATS in Sport mode. Will it make this noise while idling? The car is new enough at this point I could probably have them look up the TSB and make sure if they can't fix it now that they will be on the hook for it when an appropriate fix is found (warranty).

no prob. the sound is a rattling that i hear between 2000-2500rpm at light throttle. "light" meaning in traffic type throttle.

i think if enough people complain, they will have to do something. something similar happened with the v2 CTS-Vs, where a component in the supercharger assembly made an unpleasant sound. at first, there was the TSB that said "some of them just do this, deal with it", and after enough people complained they issued a recall and started using different parts.

they say it is the wastegates that are making the sound, btw.

no prob. the sound is a rattling that i hear between 2000-2500rpm at light throttle. "light" meaning in traffic type throttle.

i think if enough people complain, they will have to do something. something similar happened with the v2 CTS-Vs, where a component in the supercharger assembly made an unpleasant sound. at first, there was the TSB that said "some of them just do this, deal with it", and after enough people complained they issued a recall and started using different parts.

they say it is the wastegates that are making the sound, btw.

Thanks Alex, next time I have someone else with me I will have them check to see if we can produce a rattle. Incidentally I have a 3-5 year plan to move out to the pacific northwest, I am targeting the southwestern end of the state though as opposed to Seattle. Seattle would be cool but I'd have to find somewhere with more mortal property/cost of living. All the issues of Saint Louis aside you have heard about in the last couple of years, one, if only one draw to the city is the cost of living.

Thanks Alex, next time I have someone else with me I will have them check to see if we can produce a rattle. Incidentally I have a 3-5 year plan to move out to the pacific northwest, I am targeting the southwestern end of the state though as opposed to Seattle. Seattle would be cool but I'd have to find somewhere with more mortal property/cost of living. All the issues of Saint Louis aside you have heard about in the last couple of years, one, if only one draw to the city is the cost of living.

i love the PNW! yes, the cost of housing is insane, but we have no state income taxes in WA, which is nice. and, there are other ways to build wealth than home ownership. i really like the cooler weather here, great for turbocharged cars ;-)

don't believe the stories about the rain either.. we get less rain than manhattan does.

i know the midwest is cheap... but you have to live in the midwest. my whole family is in louisville, ky, so i'm familiar.

Hey Alex,

Weather cooled here enough for a short trip in the car with the windows down, sure enough in Sport Mode on the Ride Control at 2000 RPM it sounds like there's a loose piece of metal rattling around in the exhaust pipes. I know the TSB says the wastegate on the turbo, but I swear that rattle sounds like it's in the back of the car, not the front. Almost like maybe one of the cat-back pipes isn't secure completely and it it's rattling against the underbody.

I have to go back to the dealer in a little over a week anyway, so, I will have them look for the sake of looking. I already know per your posts and the TSB they are going to tell me they can't do anything about it. Which to me is kinda BS, because that does not sound like any normal mechanical noise.

Since Tour Mode produces the noise to a much lesser degree, that almost seems to make me think whatever Ride Control does with the exhaust (similar to the dual-mode exhaust on the Camaro/Vette) is what's producing the noise. But maybe it's all in the front, it's hard to really focus - I sure as eff don't want to crash the car, rattle or not. :)

Hey Alex,

Weather cooled here enough for a short trip in the car with the windows down, sure enough in Sport Mode on the Ride Control at 2000 RPM it sounds like there's a loose piece of metal rattling around in the exhaust pipes. I know the TSB says the wastegate on the turbo, but I swear that rattle sounds like it's in the back of the car, not the front. Almost like maybe one of the cat-back pipes isn't secure completely and it it's rattling against the underbody.

I have to go back to the dealer in a little over a week anyway, so, I will have them look for the sake of looking. I already know per your posts and the TSB they are going to tell me they can't do anything about it. Which to me is kinda BS, because that does not sound like any normal mechanical noise.

Since Tour Mode produces the noise to a much lesser degree, that almost seems to make me think whatever Ride Control does with the exhaust (similar to the dual-mode exhaust on the Camaro/Vette) is what's producing the noise. But maybe it's all in the front, it's hard to really focus - I sure as eff don't want to crash the car, rattle or not. :)

sorry you have this problem too. i would recommend complaining your a$$ off to cadillac customer service. they won't fix the problem until enough people complain. whatever component or components are making the noise were probably bought in bulk, and GM plays this game every time to avoid spending money. the V2 CTS-Vs had a problem with the supercharger assembly that caused a weird noise, and GM said it was "normal" until enough people complained. then recalls were issued and they started using different parts. they did it with the new Z06 and it's overheating problem and are just now addressing it. it's the corporate game.

and yep, it's louder in sport/track mode. and i'm not sure how many miles you have, but mine got louder as i broke it in. it's quite loud now.

the regional field engineer was certain it was the wastegate(s). (shrugs)

Last edited:
Alex,

I am going to let them know I don't particularly care for the noise - the car will be going to the dealer for a couple other things on Friday so I'll handle it then. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful.

sorry you have this problem too. i would recommend complaining your a$$ off to cadillac customer service. they won't fix the problem until enough people complain. whatever component or components are making the noise were probably bought in bulk, and GM plays this game every time to avoid spending money. the V2 CTS-Vs had a problem with the supercharger assembly that caused a weird noise, and GM said it was "normal" until enough people complained. then recalls were issued and they started using different parts. they did it with the new Z06 and it's overheating problem and are just now addressing it. it's the corporate game.

and yep, it's louder in sport/track mode. and i'm not sure how many miles you have, but mine got louder as i broke it in. it's quite loud now.

the regional field engineer was certain it was the wastegate(s). (shrugs)

Alex,

I am going to let them know I don't particularly care for the noise - the car will be going to the dealer for a couple other things on Friday so I'll handle it then. Thanks for your input, it's been helpful.

no worries and good luck.. i'm interested to hear how this plays out for you.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back