Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V M6 Transmission Temperature

CT5-V Model

rubberduck

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
22 CT5V BW Shadow Metallic 6M
Wondering what others in hot climates are experiencing for the normal range of 5BW M6 transmission temperature. I was out the other day and it was sunny and 110F. I was in stop-and-go city driving and the transmission temperature was showing around 214F. It was climbing while the car was just idling. I can attribute this to the asphalt road radiating heat to the underside of the car and no real cooling since the car was not moving or moving slowly. Some research indicates that asphalt can reach 180F in Arizona.

I would be highly concerned about any temps exceeding 200 and would shut it down if it hit 220. I haven't had a situation where I was stuck in stop and go traffic, so all my temps would be at speed, but I've towed 20k lb trailers up the sides of mountains and have seen temp spikes like you're describing and you can start doing serious damage around 220

I just read in a Camaro forum that Tremec says it can go up to 250F. But, I wasn’t doing any hard driving and was concerned that maybe I had a transmission or cooler issue. If it keeps going above 200F I’m going to change the fluid sooner than later.

I have also observed gear box temps above 200* F. in my manual 5. Conditions = under 35 mph, hi -O. A.T. . . Occasionally , . Side note; Driving across OK. last yr. n July 116* O.A.T. at hi-way speed not a issue. Also I do not see a cooler for the xsmsn. I am curious if the indication/sensor is picking up radiant heat from exhaust..... Or is the gear display for elsd ..?? (manual cars) Service manual would give that info most like Lee. Anyone else..?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back