Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Looking for opinions

Ivy1Le

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4V Blackwing
Despite the fact I'll likely be hated for this I'm hoping some of you can look past the fact I'm not overly in love with my 4BW and offer an opinion.

The market is insane right now, true sports car are hard to acquire without a hefty premium so I ordered a X3 M40i that should arrive in about 4 months. I have a dealer offering $72000 for my Blackwing, almost 3k over sticker, and I'd be in a Lexus RC F during my wait.

Would you take the deal? Or would you keep the Blackwing and try to do a pass through sell once the X3 comes in? I don't expect the BMW dealer to offer the same $72,000 especially not in 4 months and 1500 ish miles later

Apologies if you have posted elsewhere but what don’t you like about it

I wish it revved higher. I wish it had a more aggressive feel (granted I haven't put the suspension in track as I read that it shouldn't be in the most aggressive suspension setting on the street?). Truth be told, I wish it was a little cheaper. Make the upgraded seats the standard seat and raise the base price $2,000 or so to compensate (in theory they'd save money since it's only 1 seat design that way and not 3 right?) Would have saved around $3000 or more that way.

I like the car as a whole, Clutch and Gear Level are much better feeling than BMW. It's definitely a good cruiser and isn't too rough on the road. I guess I just don't value those things at the moment because it is supposed to be a second car, although I don't have 2 cars at the moment.

I don't think you should be castrated for speaking your mind, but what you're saying confuses me. You're saying the 4BW isn't aggressive enough, you have a Lexus RC and you want to get an x3 instead.

Out of all those cars you mentioned, I should suspect the 4BW is the most aggressive out of the bunch, the X3 being the least aggressive.

There are ways to firm up suspension and other settings in the V configuration, have you tried that?

Are you trying to say the BW is not hardcore enough for what it costs?

Back to your original question. Would I sell a 4BW to get an X3? Not if I wanted something with an aggressive feel. I would not even consider it unless I needed more cargo capacity. Maybe an x3 M competition but I still wouldn't do it over a manual BW. That's just me. I think you need to ask yourself what you want.

I don't think you should be castrated for speaking your mind, but what you're saying confuses me. You're saying the 4BW isn't aggressive enough, you have a Lexus RC and you want to get an x3 instead.

Out of all those cars you mentioned, I should suspect the 4BW is the most aggressive out of the bunch, the X3 being the least aggressive.

There are ways to firm up suspension and other settings in the V configuration, have you tried that?

Are you trying to say the BW is not hardcore enough for what it costs?

Back to your original question. Would I sell a 4BW to get an X3? Not if I wanted something with an aggressive feel. I would not even consider it unless I needed more cargo capacity. Maybe an x3 M competition but I still wouldn't do it over a manual BW. That's just me. I think you need to ask yourself what you want.
The X3 is my selection for a daily driver. I was planning to settle into a "special" car that I like.. something similar to the 4BW and lease the X3 once I was settled in. Right now all of the things I'm considering as truly viable replacements are vastly over priced or difficult to come by. Cayman GTS/GT4 , back to a M2 Comp or preferably M2CS, I put myself on the reserve for a C8 Z06 when it comes out but I'm #26 and I honestly don't expect my name to ever be called.

I have firmed up the suspension, My Mode is currently Sport suspension and brake feel, track exhaust. I switch between comfort and sport steering depending on if I'm taking a longer trip or just driving around doing short trips

The RC F is what would replace the 4BW just to take some money out of it while prices are strong. No emotional involvement in the car at all, the 4BW is much better.

Despite the fact I'll likely be hated for this I'm hoping some of you can look past the fact I'm not overly in love with my 4BW and offer an opinion.

The market is insane right now, true sports car are hard to acquire without a hefty premium so I ordered a X3 M40i that should arrive in about 4 months. I have a dealer offering $72000 for my Blackwing, almost 3k over sticker, and I'd be in a Lexus RC F during my wait.

Would you take the deal? Or would you keep the Blackwing and try to do a pass through sell once the X3 comes in? I don't expect the BMW dealer to offer the same $72,000 especially not in 4 months and 1500 ish miles later
Doesn't trade-in help you avoid sales tax?... so factor that into the decision whether to sell now at higher price or wait for trade-in at potentially lower price when you're car comes in...could be the difference of a few thousand dollars. Also, the trade in value of my s6 has still increased due to this crazy market even though I've put another 5k in miles on it. Plus I've continued to make car payments (which I've already had as part of my budget) getting my trade-in value even higher.

But bottom line: if it's close enough (which is up to your interpretation) ,... just do what makes you happy... what we say doesn't mean shit since we're not living your day-to-day life.

Doesn't trade-in help you avoid sales tax?... so factor that into the decision whether to sell now at higher price or wait for trade-in at potentially lower price when you're car comes in...could be the difference of a few thousand dollars. Also, the trade in value of my s6 has still increased due to this crazy market even though I've put another 5k in miles on it. Plus I've continued to make car payments (which I've already had as part of my budget) getting my trade-in value even higher.

But bottom line: if it's close enough (which is up to your interpretation) ,... just do what makes you happy... what we say doesn't mean shit since we're not living your day-to-day life.
It does, right now I'm at $76,443 for the car. $73,000 trade + $3,443 tax savings on the RC F. The only way I could beat that is if I got someone to buy it for $73K+ when my X3 comes in and they are willing to do a passthrough at the dealership. Otherwise I'd need to sell it for $76.3K ... I wish I knew what happy was :boogie

Ok. Gotcha.

You already have an RCF so it's cheaper to not buy the x3 if you don't need the space. It's generally cheaper to not buy and sell but in this market you might be better doing that. The RCF and the 4BW will hold it's value for a long time because they are special in their own way. That 5.0l V8 sound is intoxicating. The BW being the true drivers car. If they only had an LS3 in the 4BW wouldn't that solve all your problems ( and mine)?

You can dump the RCF or the 4BW and that you'll financially come out ahead, but then what? Anything more special costs money. Alot more money than $72k if you want something newer. You can get something used but I don't know if that's what your looking for. Special, more power and more money doesn't always equate to more engagement.

If you're looking for cheap thrills under $75k range you need to look at:

-C5 through C7 Z06. Starting at $18k
-987.1 through 981. Starting at $25k. You could get a nice 987.2 and put $10k in suspension to get it to a gt4 level of engagement and it will rev to 7200.
-996 through 997.2 (996 turbos starting at $45k)
-e90/92 M3 start at $33k
-M2 comp as you mentioned.
-Chevy SS with an LSA supercharger addon starting at $50k
There are more that I left off the list but I don't know what floats your boat.

Ok. Gotcha.

You already have an RCF so it's cheaper to not buy the x3 if you don't need the space. It's generally cheaper to not buy and sell but in this market you might be better doing that. The RCF and the 4BW will hold it's value for a long time because they are special in their own way. That 5.0l V8 sound is intoxicating. The BW being the true drivers car. If they only had an LS3 in the 4BW wouldn't that solve all your problems ( and mine)?

You can dump the RCF or the 4BW and that you'll financially come out ahead, but then what? Anything more special costs money. Alot more money than $72k if you want something newer. You can get something used but I don't know if that's what your looking for. Special, more power and more money doesn't always equate to more engagement.

If you're looking for cheap thrills under $75k range you need to look at:

-C5 through C7 Z06. Starting at $18k
-987.1 through 981. Starting at $25k. You could get a nice 987.2 and put $10k in suspension to get it to a gt4 level of engagement and it will rev to 7200.
-996 through 997.2 (996 turbos starting at $45k)
-e90/92 M3 start at $33k
-M2 comp as you mentioned.
-Chevy SS with an LSA supercharger addon starting at $50k
I'm not as concerned about the X3s value because I plan on that being a long term car. I wish I had the ability to not have a car until it comes in, but I don't so that's where the RC F comes in. It'll be traded for the X3 once it arrives. You are absolutely correct on what comes next. So instead of having a lease payment on the X3, I'll pay for it in cash and I'll save and wait for something "special" to come along and finance the "special" car instead.

I've looked at a few cars on this list. The main issue with some of the older exotic/german cars is the fact that I'm not mechanically inclined. They will need servicing and doing it yourself is manageable price wise, labor costs however are generally insane. I would have pulled the trigger on a 2015 981 GTS about 2 weeks ago but Shift.com doesn't take 2022 trade ins. It was pending sale about 3 days later.
There are more that I left off the list but I don't know what floats your boat.
Honestly I'm open to suggestions. GT350 was one at the top of the list as well but those prices are crazy too. My mom is making a good point that the money I'm putting back in my bank will serve me better than driving the 4BW for 4 months would. I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger

I'm not as concerned about the X3s value because I plan on that being a long term car. I wish I had the ability to not have a car until it comes in, but I don't so that's where the RC F comes in. It'll be traded for the X3 once it arrives. You are absolutely correct on what comes next. So instead of having a lease payment on the X3, I'll pay for it in cash and I'll save and wait for something "special" to come along and finance the "special" car instead.

I've looked at a few cars on this list. The main issue with some of the older exotic/german cars is the fact that I'm not mechanically inclined. They will need servicing and doing it yourself is manageable price wise, labor costs however are generally insane. I would have pulled the trigger on a 2015 981 GTS about 2 weeks ago but Shift.com doesn't take 2022 trade ins. It was pending sale about 3 days later.

Honestly I'm open to suggestions. GT350 was one at the top of the list as well but those prices are crazy too. My mom is making a good point that the money I'm putting back in my bank will serve me better than driving the 4BW for 4 months would. I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger

Your mom may be right with the possibility of a recession coming, cash is king.

IMO, a Z06 is your best bet in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, performance and driver engagement. At the time I bought my Cayman, the c6 z06 was out of my price range and the c5 z06 interior was a deal breaker. Knowing now I wish I just went with the c5 z06.

I'm not as familiar with Mustangs. My neighbor has a gt350r he tracks frequently, so I know that dog will hunt. You can get one in mid 70s with under 20k mi.

Your mom may be right with the possibility of a recession coming, cash is king.

IMO, a Z06 is your best bet in terms of reliability, cost of ownership, performance and driver engagement. Knowing now I wish I just went with the c5 z06.

I'm not as familiar with Mustangs. My neighbor has a gt350r he tracks frequently, so I know that dog will hunt. You can get one in mid 70s with under 20k mi.
Yeah I'll likely pull the trigger and wait see what pops up over the next year. I'll have to find and look at a Z06 or two while I'm waiting. Haven't ever thought about or been interested in older corvettes but I'd imagine they fit what I'm looking for quite well.

70k for a GT350 is too much imo. Maybe not the R but I just need the regular one. It'll only be tracked a couple times/year if I'm lucky. Ford dealer near me couldn't sell one at 46k with around 25k miles on it in 2019. I'm scared of the potential downside on a lot of these cars if things ever level out

Where did you read this?

I learned at Spring Mountain not to drive in Track mode on the streets because its stiffens the suspension up too much that you can bend a wheel.

I would trade it in, with interest rates increasing and a used car market that is bloated the market conditions for optimal trade ins is ending.
IMHO the used car market is going to fall and trade ins etc will be worth significantly less and there may actually be some value pretty soon, so with that being said whatever move you make try to be “happy” with it as you may be stuck with that for a while.

I would trade it in, with interest rates increasing and a used car market that is bloated the market conditions for optimal trade ins is ending.
IMHO the used car market is going to fall and trade ins etc will be worth significantly less and there may actually be some value pretty soon, so with that being said whatever move you make try to be “happy” with it as you may be stuck with that for a while.
very good points. making a decision on a car with my head and not my right foot is a new one for me :boogie

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back