Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Junk fees on purchase of new car.

CT5-V Model

mcwho

Seasoned Member
I have a factory order in for a loaded 2024 ct5-v and am waiting patiently for delivsry. Delivery sb jan 15 or so.I asked the dealer to send me an example of fees and charges are about 9 charges including sales tax. Only 2 of the charges bother me. They are perma plate $1199.00 and tag fee $460. Its pretty easy in florida to xfer a tag. I can do myself. For less than $100 at dmv. Perma plate seems to be the new snake oil. Has anyone hD dealer insist i pay for this.

I Can list the other fees if anyone is interested.

Perma plate??? Is that vehicle protection? I can tell you...tell them you aren't interested. You can put that $1200 toward ppf or a ceramic coating that will last much longer and protect your car much longer. You're paying for a piece of paper and a substance that takes them 20min to install that does zero for your car. I used to sell Lincolns, and we sold Xzilon for $599. It cost the dealership $10/bottle. It went on in 10 minutes and did zip. And I never once saw a warranty claim get approved.

I have a factory order in for a loaded 2024 ct5-v and am waiting patiently for delivsry. Delivery sb jan 15 or so.I asked the dealer to send me an example of fees and charges are about 9 charges including sales tax. Only 2 of the charges bother me. They are perma plate $1199.00 and tag fee $460. Its pretty easy in florida to xfer a tag. I can do myself. For less than $100 at dmv. Perma plate seems to be the new snake oil. Has anyone hD dealer insist i pay for this.

I Can list the other fees if anyone is interested.

Im just wondsring if its a gm or cadillac.thing. i havee opted fir most options and the msrp is about $66,000. I have no intention of buying the snake oil.

Probably a dealership thing. Lots of money to be made off people that don't understand what they're getting. Honda tried to sell me something similar on my wife's Passport. I can do better with what I have in the garage and I enjoy doing that kind of thing on my cars.

Im just wondsring if its a gm or cadillac.thing. i havee opted fir most options and the msrp is about $66,000. I have no intention of buying the snake oil.
Dealer add on to make $$. Anything listed that is taxable on the purchase is negotiable and not mandatory.

Does anyone remember Rusty Jones. It was a coating oldsmobile used to have, coated the exhaust system.it was about $600 to $800. The dealers haD a big cardboard cutout of "Rusty" sitting on top of a showroom car to get your attention.

All of those fees are 100% a dealership thing, it has absolutely nothing to do with GM or Cadillac. Perma Plate has been around for decades. For many dealerships these add-ons are the primary profit center, just behind the service department. You don't have to pay them, but the dealership doesn't have to remove them either.

Buying a car is nothing more than business transaction, if you don't like the terms then don't sign the contract. It can also be highly emotional for some people, so its critical to have a clear head and be ready to walk away as there are plenty more V's out there without the heartache.

And keeping a clear head often means accepting a $500 non-value charge when the trade-off of walking means additional time spent searching for another car. A seasoned salesman does this all day long vs. the buyer that is generally out of shape; they are very good at reading people. A reasonable person will weigh their value of time vs. the additional cost. Sometimes the best that can be done is a compromise. I accepted several hundreds additional charge to get a 22 vs. waiting on a 23 order that would have cost an additional $12K due to price increases.

I have a strong aversion to junk fee's and added dealer markup. I also have a healthy understanding of the value of my time vs. transaction costs. The OP said V, not specifically a BW. $2k for a polymer sealant on a BW I would probably do because the car is special (I paid zero fees or ADM on my BW and invested maybe 6 total hours in the process). If I'm looking for a non-BW V or something even more mainstream hell no to any fees. In this current environment I'm shopping around for something under MSRP and zero fees.

The polymer sealant costs the dealer less than $100 material and labor. If one ends up paying a few hundred for that just tell them not to apply it. I ended up paying for window tinting but didn’t have it applied. I paid MSRP and that was the only thing I would not compromise on. In all fairness my dealer doesn’t charge above MSRP on any Blackwings.

I am planning a ceramic window tint since here in florida its very hot inside a car that sits in the sub. Im not gonna let the $1198 perma plate ruin the deal. I am on my 2nd dealer trying or order this vehicle. The first one never really got me an order number.

Just ask them nicely, "please skip that feature" as long as you do it before the car comes in, that should be plenty. They are still making plenty of profit.

Tag fees and such, you're paying for them to make the trip to the DMV, and they usually won't back off of that. Heck, it's almost worth the time savings!

Congrats on the new car!

The process here in fl is simple to xfer a tag. Put tag from old cR on new car. The dealer can electronically update the registration. Paper for you. You have 30 days to get the registration

Yup, dealer add on that's negotiable...Audi tried to add these as well...when I bought my CT4VBW my dealership's first offer included this and several other add on. I told them to remove them right off that bat...once remove, I started negotiating price, showing the COSTCO, PenFed type discounts...but keep it clean, remove all of those add ons.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back