Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

How long do you wait after starting the car to move it off?

Scaroline

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
I usually let the engine oil temp get to 120 farenheit. Does anyone else do this?

I usually let the engine oil temp get to 120 farenheit. Does anyone else do this?
This has been discussed across so many brands. The main thing I have seen is with current quality of oil and better engine manufacturing, there is no need to ever warm up before driving. Turn on and start driving, just keep it under 3k ish rpm while engine warms. I think only time to warm is maybe when it’s -20 or lower. Cars don’t sound very good then.

This has been discussed across so many brands. The main thing I have seen is with current quality of oil and better engine manufacturing, there is no need to ever warm up before driving. Turn on and start driving, just keep it under 3k ish rpm while engine warms. I think only time to warm is maybe when it’s -20 or lower. Cars don’t sound very good then.
He's from Minnesota, so he knows cold.

I've noticed that the red RPM indicator is lower when starting the car cold (5500 I think) and then goes up as the car warms up. Thought that was a pretty cool feature.

So long as your garage doesn't open up to a racetrack, you should be just fine in modern cars.

Idling the car cold to get it up to temp takes forever. It will warm up much faster if you drive it.

Don't redline it cold but going easy on it for 5min should have it pretty close to normal operating temperatures to allow you to start wringing it out if you want to.

Idling a vehicle for long periods isn't a great idea either so I'd rather drive it to warm up instead of idling it to warm up.

Last edited:
I always let the idle settle down from the cold start idle RPM before I put it in gear. It's a very short time (seconds).
This is what I do as well, then limit the RPM to under 3k like others until warm.

I let the idle settle as well and wait for temps to get into the 80s and then drive off. I also wait for the red rpm zone to clear to redline

I always let the idle settle down from the cold start idle RPM before I put it in gear. It's a very short time (seconds).

Same. It takes me minute to pick my tunes, seatbelt, store my firearm, etc. So by then Im ready and Im sure car is ready. Off we go.

First start of the day I wait for the idle to drop, maybe 30-60 seconds. In the summer and spring my warm up consists of 10 minutes of driving under half throttle under 4k rpm. I don’t really use 2nd gear until the trans warms up but if I do use 2nd I’m usually shifting when the circle around the # in the center of the dash lights up green. If it lights up green the shift is clean.

I do in my truck and even the Camaro but in the BW the grip/end of mag presses into the seat too much and I dont want it causing a long term issue there.
I agree with that, but I have a special pad that goes between that and the seat. Used it on my previous car as well.

The car is always garaged. I usually let it idle for about 12sec (an arbitrary # of course) and it's about 1.5mi to the exit from our neighborhood then onto a 60MPH two lane.

I'm very gentle with cars and I certainly don't use high RPMs when it's cold. Don

Same. It takes me minute to pick my tunes, seatbelt, store my firearm, etc. So by then Im ready and Im sure car is ready. Off we go.
Where the hell do you store a firearm in these things? The center console is too small for anything I carry.

I get in, push the start button, by the time I get my seat belt buckled and pick my first song ......I'm ready to go.
I carry my Sig P365 in waistband appendix. I won't shove it in between a seat, where I might get out and forget it in the car.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back