Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

News: High Speed Safety Recall on all 2006-2008 STS-V

General news post.

rodinoma

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2008 Cadillac STS-V and a 2013 CTS-V
Two years ago Cadillac announced a safety recall on all European-homologated Cadillac STS-Vs but not US ones. The recall was forced upon Cadillac because at speeds above 240 km/h (150 mph) the hood could fly off. So Cadillac replaced the hoods on all STS-Vs that were sold in Europe. European STS-Vs are slightly different to US ones - the top speed is not limited to 250 km/h as it is in the US but runs freely to approximately 275 km/h, the rear tail lenses are clear and the turn signals are amber and not red and the rear fascia has very powerful fog-piercing red lights on either side of the exhausts; Onstar is not included; the speedometer reads in metric and not imperial and the cars all have front and rear tow hooks so that the tow truck does not damage the suspension as happens frequently in the States. The recall was not extended to US cars because we can only dream about driving at those speeds in the States but what about those few Americans that took their US STS-Vs to Europe? This is my story.

I brought my 2008 STS-V to Europe and have enjoyed driving it to the rev limiter in Italy, Spain, Belgium and Germany. I had noticed that at speeds above 240 km/h the hood wobbled a bit and then I heard about the recall and contacted Cadillac Europe AG in Switzerland. They understood and accepted that the issue was not whether it was a FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) homologation or an EU-homologation (the rest of the world outside of North America) but rather how fast it was driven. They are aware of the high speeds we enjoy in Europe and so graciously agreed to replace and repaint the hood under warranty.

Two years ago Cadillac announced a safety recall on all European-homologated Cadillac STS-Vs but not US ones. The recall was forced upon Cadillac because at speeds above 240 km/h (150 mph) the hood could fly off. So Cadillac replaced the hoods on all STS-Vs that were sold in Europe. European STS-Vs are slightly different to US ones - the top speed is not limited to 250 km/h as it is in the US but runs freely to approximately 275 km/h, the rear tail lenses are clear and the turn signals are amber and not red and the rear fascia has very powerful fog-piercing red lights on either side of the exhausts; Onstar is not included; the speedometer reads in metric and not imperial and the cars all have front and rear tow hooks so that the tow truck does not damage the suspension as happens frequently in the States. The recall was not extended to US cars because we can only dream about driving at those speeds in the States but what about those few Americans that took their US STS-Vs to Europe? This is my story.

I brought my 2008 STS-V to Europe and have enjoyed driving it to the rev limiter in Italy, Spain, Belgium and Germany. I had noticed that at speeds above 240 km/h the hood wobbled a bit and then I heard about the recall and contacted Cadillac Europe AG in Switzerland. They understood and accepted that the issue was not whether it was a FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) homologation or an EU-homologation (the rest of the world outside of North America) but rather how fast it was driven. They are aware of the high speeds we enjoy in Europe and so graciously agreed to replace and repaint the hood under warranty.

I know this like others is an old thread and I'm new to this forum so forgive me for reviving it but does anyone else wonder what ever happened to all those hoods that were recalled? Would love to have one of those to send to a body shop to increase the lift a big and maybe add some additional venting on the sides.

I know this like others is an old thread and I'm new to this forum so forgive me for reviving it but does anyone else wonder what ever happened to all those hoods that were recalled? Would love to have one of those to send to a body shop to increase the lift a big and maybe add some additional venting on the sides.

Hi, the recall notice was only for EU-homologated STS-Vs. I do not believe that Cadillac sold more than 50 "V' series STSs in the 3-4 year run that it was on sale in Europe. The hoods are spread out among a variety of dealers but principally in Germany, Switzerland and Sweden. You might want to contact GeigerCars in MÜNCHEN and see if they have any hoods in inventory. They are one of the largest Cadillac dealers in Europe and among the most professional.

Good luck.

Very impressive, you guys have very loyal dealers there. Excellent service.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back