Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

GM to halt production at nearly all North America assembly plants due to new chip problem

General Motors will idle the plants starting Monday for two weeks due to COVID-19 affecting the production of semiconductor chips​

Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

General Motors will idle nearly all its assembly plants in North America starting Monday as the COVID-19 pandemic affects production of semiconductor chips overseas.

GM said its Arlington Assembly in Texas, where it makes its highly profitable full-size SUVs, will run regular production next week, along with Flint Assembly, where it makes its heavy-duty pickups, Bowling Green Assembly in Kentucky, where it makes its Corvette, and a portion of Lansing Grand River Assembly, where it will make some Chevrolet Camaro and Cadillac Blackwing cars.

But all other assembly plants in North America will idle starting Monday.

Full Story:

Gm at this point should offer the option for buyers to find their own truckers (mine would be enclosed) once the cars are completed. Take off the destination charge and have the car shipped to the dealer.
Pretty sure the Unions prevent that from happening.....

The same person talked with me about that too. He said he could enter an order for one and said that if I wanted to go that route, he’d be glad to do it but would speak with his rep to get some kind of estimate on delivery prior (once I tell him I’d like to proceed with an order). So he had no idea when it would be and is planning to get an idea of timeframe from Cadillac directly to give to me.

Overall the conversation was pretty discouraging. I’ve talked with a bunch of dealers in the last couple days and they all seem pretty frustrated. The have next to nothing to sell (even beyond specialty cars like the Blackwing) and don’t know when they will. Hard to run their business that way. Another place told me their used car business is the only thing keeping them afloat.
Yup, my dealer was more than ready to get my trade-in.

He said he had 2 Denalis come in one day, both were customer orders. The people tjat ordered them backed out and they had both of them sold before 10am.

He also said it's been a while since he has sold a new car from inventory that was on the lot. Most everything sells before it arrives.

how many of the 250 are not built?
Someone said 243 (I think) have been built, but didn't cite a source. That sounds high since there are a few July tpw remaining on the tracker here and obviously not all of the orders are being tracked. Feels like it's a small number though either way.

Someone said 243 (I think) have been built, but didn't cite a source. That sounds high since there are a few July tpw remaining on the tracker here and obviously not all of the orders are being tracked. Feels like it's a small number though either way.
Check the Registry...

Amazing! Didnt realize you went to that level of detail and had information beyond what had been posted here. Am i reading it correctly that 170 of 250 have been built?
So far, yes

So I wonder which ”portion” of Lansing Grand River will be continuing to run?

I was on the phone today with the owner of a Cadillac dealership and was asking about what else but the Blackwing, and was told the following (paraphrased):

The factory will be shutting down for CT5 production until later in September. Once it resumes, it will be producing CT5-V *non-blackwing* orders from the backlog before moving on to regular CT5 production. Once that’s been underway for a while (not sure how long; until they clear the sold order backlog maybe??) they *may* then go back to producing more Blackwing models.

I’m not presenting the info above as truth, just sharing what I was told directly from a dealer principal.
Missinformation. Now take a few steps back from the cliff lol. Teams hard at work. More blackwings coming next week.

So I wonder which ”portion” of Lansing Grand River will be continuing to run?

I was on the phone today with the owner of a Cadillac dealership and was asking about what else but the Blackwing, and was told the following (paraphrased):

The factory will be shutting down for CT5 production until later in September. Once it resumes, it will be producing CT5-V *non-blackwing* orders from the backlog before moving on to regular CT5 production. Once that’s been underway for a while (not sure how long; until they clear the sold order backlog maybe??) they *may* then go back to producing more Blackwing models.

I’m not presenting the info above as truth, just sharing what I was told directly from a dealer principal.
I love how dealership employees love to play armchair quarterbacks when they don't even work at the factory...

Thank you as always. You should be billing us all for the therapy!
Hahaha sorry I just hd a bit of therapy in my car. I really thought I would have more time in my hands this time of year to put miles in it and hit the track. Track day is this weekend I am at 350 miles 🥺 will drive it there just to break it in and watch my buddies track, camping is always a highlight at grattan anyhow. then next track day next thursday.... the 1LE shall do for that one.

Hahaha sorry I just hd a bit of therapy in my car. I really thought I would have more time in my hands this time of year to put miles in it and hit the track. Track day is this weekend I am at 350 miles 🥺 will drive it there just to break it in and watch my buddies track, camping is always a highlight at grattan anyhow. then next track day next thursday.... the 1LE shall do for that one.
Since your at the factory can you give any incite on what's going on with production in August and how production is supposed to look next week

I am not at the factory and havent been for a bit, however we still talk as a team on making sure cars are shipped, built etc with all the challenges . As stated V-Series Blackwings are building and Rob can see statuses change. Some will change tomorrow/Monday and others next week.

I am not at the factory and havent been for a bit, however we still talk as a team on making sure cars are shipped, built etc with all the challenges . As stated V-Series Blackwings are building and Rob can see statuses change. Some will change tomorrow/Monday and others next week.
Ok sounds good. Thanks for letting us know something. I know a lot of this out of GM's hands with pandemic. I can only imagine the strain it's putting on the people working on these cars

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back