Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V First Track Outing

CT5-V Model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
This was a bit of a target of opportunity but I had a track day planned and since the 5BW had hit the break-in mileage I decided to bring that up along with the Corvette and turn a few laps. I did not have time to do the track alignment but still the car handled remarkably well and was easy to drive fast. The thrust was fantastic and the car really felt poised being thrown around the track. There is some understeer - particularly in the long sweeping carousel but it was easily managed with a slight lift of the throttle to weight the nose. I have to say it was downright relaxing to pedal the BW on track compared to my monster C7.

The only issue I had was on my fastest session I came out of the corner and received a message on the display something like "manual transmission clutch depressed". When I put my foot down to the clutch I could tell that it was down by the floor and had to pop it up with my foot. I pitted after that and didn't have the issue again but I wonder if I should replace the clutch fluid with something else? Maybe it needs to be bled?

I put up all the videos on my channel including a short walk-around.

However, if you just want to jump to the fastest session that's here:

One more comment. Until the CCBs were burnished they felt very wooden on track. Lots of pedal effort to slow the car but once they were burnished they were great. I did not experience the fade you usually get when the CCBs first get hot enough to setup a transfer layer but it took a lot of running to get them there.

BTW, CCBs definitely do dust with track use :)

...The only issue I had was on my fastest session I came out of the corner and received a message on the display something like "manual transmission clutch depressed". When I put my foot down to the clutch I could tell that it was down by the floor and had to pop it up with my foot. I pitted after that and didn't have the issue again but I wonder if I should replace the clutch fluid with something else? Maybe it needs to be bled? ...

Was great watching that Track Footage....

That Clutch Stuck to Floor thing is something I dealt with, in my V1 Days.
It affected all LS of that era.
I though GM resolved that issue, when they started using Twin Disk Clutches on the C6 ZR1.
An aftermarket [ACT] Twin Disk solved the issue on my V1.

BlackWings are Twin Disk, but the stronger Pressure Plate, on the CT5 BW, probably isn't helping the Slave any.
You might need to add a Remote Bleeder Line, along with that Better Fluid.

Keep us posted on this as it is a bit concerning.

Attachments

• Photo_040208_002.jpg
    Photo_040208_002.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 120
Nice driving. Love Summit Point.
I wonder if you boiled the brake fluid, which might be the same as the clutch fluid?
The clutch and brake fluid are separate systems but it's surprising the clutch would boil. I know with the C8 with e-brakes you will get a warning on the dash if you boil the fluid and I believe the Blackwing is the same. No brake issues to report once they were burnished.

so they were both comparable... I think I saw you get a 1:21:51
I bet once I get the track alignment done a little more time the 5 BW will be faster. The 4S tires on the BW are definitely better than the 4S on the C8. I'll try to do a data dive this weekend.

I bet once I get the track alignment done a little more time the 5 BW will be faster. The 4S tires on the BW are definitely better than the 4S on the C8. I'll try to do a data dive this weekend.
Actually it is going to be significantly faster than the C8. I just took a quick look at the data and the speeds on the straights are significantly higher for the 5BW (red) over the C8 (blue). Third set of traces in this chart is speed.

1634350882441.png

The clutch and brake fluid are separate systems but it's surprising the clutch would boil. I know with the C8 with e-brakes you will get a warning on the dash if you boil the fluid and I believe the Blackwing is the same. No brake issues to report once they were burnished.

Awesome you got some track time! Your mention of understeer is exactly what I was expecting since a 275 is too narrow for the front. The ZL1 has a 285 and the ZLE has a 305.

I would be surprised if the clutch fluid and brake fluid are separate systems. Is there a different reservoir for clutch fluid? On all the other LT1/LT4 applications I have seen, the clutch and brake share the same fluid.

Your impression that the BW will be faster than a C8 Z51 once you get it sorted has me giddy!

Awesome you got some track time! Your mention of understeer is exactly what I was expecting since a 275 is too narrow for the front. The ZL1 has a 285 and the ZLE has a 305.

I would be surprised if the clutch fluid and brake fluid are separate systems. Is there a different reservoir for clutch fluid? On all the other LT1/LT4 applications I have seen, the clutch and brake share the same fluid.

Your impression that the BW will be faster than a C8 Z51 once you get it sorted has me giddy!
I bet with the alignment the balance will be fine. I'll go look at the car as on the Corvette's the brake and clutch fluid are separate - I'm surprised they would combine them.

I bet with the alignment the balance will be fine. I'll go look at the car as on the Corvette's the brake and clutch fluid are separate - I'm surprised they would combine them.
BTW - is there any spot for a tow hook in the front?

Your clutch fluid is same as brake fluid, share reservoir. You need to use high temp fluid as per owners manual, both your brakes and clutch. Congrats on track day!!! Here is my ct4 track dust.

Attachments

• 61B2C70D-9EF6-4F63-82B5-D3547AD1CDEC.jpeg
    61B2C70D-9EF6-4F63-82B5-D3547AD1CDEC.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 120
Great video! Looks pretty solid on the track.

@Akamai58 so with the Gobal 8 system we shall be screwed if trying to tune mods... great. I wanted to see what happens if they change pulleys

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back