Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V Extremely Light Clutch

Cadillac CT4-V model

meahtpuppet

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Hi all!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post here, but I just wanted to ask about a (potential) issue that has been bothering me.

I attended the Cadillac V-Academy this week, which was an absolute blast. Met a lot of awesome people in the class and had some fantastic instructors. Up until this point, I have not driven another 4BW, besides my own. When depressing the clutch in the V-Academy school car, that I was assigned to, I immediately noticed that the clutch was much heavier than my personal car. The instructors mentioned several times that the school vehicles are all stock, and nothing is changed out to make them more "track friendly", ie fluids, clutches, brakes, etc. (they just do a track alignment). I also asked two other class attendees, who had manual 4BWs to sit in my car and see if the clutch is similar to their personal vehicles. They both confirmed that the heavier clutch felt just like their cars.

Needless to say, now I am concerned that something is not right on my car. I had always assumed the light clutch was because it was a Cadillac and was engineered to be more comfortable/livable and that they were all like that. When I say light, I mean it feels like it could be a base model Honda Civic, everyday driver, kind of light. It makes sense that the clutch should be on the heavier side because it is a performance vehicle with decent power numbers, but I had never questioned it up until this point.

So my questions are:
1. Has anybody had a similar experience?
2. Are all of your clutches fairly heavy?
3. What could be the issue, if any?
4. Did Cadillac use different clutches through the production process? Or clutch fluid?

I just want to do my due diligence before I take it back to the dealership and they inevitably tell me that everything is fine because they don't want to disassemble my transmission to figure it out. Also, I'm a little concerned of the durability of the clutch now with 472 hp and 445 lb/ft torque, if I wanted to take it to the track (which I obviously want to do now that I went to the V-Academy).

*also of note: my transmission seems to have the 2nd gear grind/clunk I've read about in other posts.

Any help is much appreciated!

Clutch feel is a very relative thing for everyone. My only suggestion would be to see if you can find a dealer that has another CT4 on the lot and see if you can do a side-by-side comparison with one of their techs. That might be the only way to have them actually feel the difference and agree to look at things.

There isn't anything in my mind on a hydraulic clutch system that would make it consistently light and not be as intended. If it's not hanging up, slipping, chattering, smelling, and it is consistent in how it feels, I'm going to have to say it is what it is. Putting another factory one in is probably going to feel identical. You could investigate under the dash to see if there is a helper spring on the pedal and see if it can be removed. On my mustang the factory clutch was too light for my taste and taking the helper spring out made it perfect for me.

Ahh both good suggestions! I will look for a spring and try and find a dealer near me that has a manual 4BW. Thanks!

Agreed with post above regarding the spring on the clutch pedal. That is pretty much what controls the pedal effort. Not sure if you have a different size spring than other cars?

When was your car built? Heavy clutch was one of the few complaints regarding the Blackwings. I wonder if they lightened it up in the newer builds to address this.

I would expect that a lighter clutch that performs all other duties as it should would be very welcome. :)

I think it was built Mid 2022. Someone had it built and didn't end up buying it, so I picked it up from the dealer.

Don't get me wrong, I like the light clutch. I daily drive the car, so the lighter clutch is perfect for driveability and if I ever get stuck in traffic. I was mostly just worried about durability for track use and overall long term clutch wear. I guess I'm probably worrying too much, if the clutch dies early then I just get a new one.

I'll still check for the spring and see if that is causing the difference in feel.

I also have a 6MT 4BW with a mid-2022 build, and my clutch feels identical to my Spring Mountian car, the only other 6MT Blackwing I have driven. How many miles on your car?

I had a 2017 Chevy SS and my biggest complaint was the very heavy clutch and very short take-up window. I then had an M2 Comp and was happy with that cutch. But in my opinion, the CT4V BW has the best clutch/transmission combo very smooth for both. However, it is definitely "lighter" than my previous vehicle. I Just drove at SM two weeks ago and I did not notice any difference. It might simply be a matter of preference.

Yeah, I actually met up with a fellow member who has a 6MT 5BW and while his clutch was every so slightly heavier than mine, it definitely wasn't as heavy as my SM vehicle, so my mind is at ease now. I will just drive the thing and be happy about my light clutch every time I get stuck in traffic :)

The clutch being light I didn't really mind too much. But it's the amount of travel/dead space in the clutch that made me unnecessarily kind of tired after driving it for 10-15 min.

A little late but I did notice the same thing as OP. After attending the V academy their car's clutch was noticably heavier\springier than mine. I'm guessing they have the earlier builds.. mine is an early 2023 model. I believe it was built in October 22. I am definitely happier with the lighter clutch 😁 now if I can just eliminate the damn wind whistle from the sunroof!

That’s why I never get and hate sunroofs. Damm things always whistle or rattle.

That’s why I never get and hate sunroofs. Damm things always whistle or rattle.
I’ve never had a problem with sunroof noise in various cars. The reason I didn’t want a sunroof on my 5BW was because to me it ruins the lines and doesn’t fit in with the muscle car nostalgia.

There were these two blondes and they locked their keys in their car.

The one blonde says to the other, "what do we do? Do we get a coat hanger and pick the lock?"

The other one replied, "no, people will think we're trying to break in."

The other one said, "well, do we get a knife and cut the rubber and pop the lock?"

The other one answered, "no, people will think we're too stupid to use the coat hanger."

The other one said, "well, we better think of something quick because it's starting to rain and the sunroof is open."

Last edited:
Damm things always whistle or rattle.
Maybe in whatever POS you drove 30 years ago? I have never had any sunroof whistle or rattle....never had a problem with a Blackwing sunroof.

The Office Lie GIF

Last edited:
Both of my V2s, coupe and sedan has a sunroof whistle above 100. I had to use the adjuster bolts to line them up better and use silicon lube on the seals to quiet them down. Happy now?

I’ve never had a problem with sunroof noise in various cars. The reason I didn’t want a sunroof on my 5BW was because to me it ruins the lines and doesn’t fit in with the muscle car nostalgia.

There were these two blondes and they locked their keys in their car.

The one blonde says to the other, "what do we do? Do we get a coat hanger and pick the lock?"

The other one replied, "no, people will think we're trying to break in."

The other one said, "well, do we get a knife and cut the rubber and pop the lock?"

The other one answered, "no, people will think we're too stupid to use the coat hanger."

The other one said, "well, we better think of something quick because it's starting to rain and the sunroof is open."
how is this not getting more reactions. laughed my ass off. great way to start the morning. thanks for that

The Ct5 bw sunroof on my buddy's car doesn't seem to make any wind whistle but my Ct4 bw does as it is missing the rubber weather stripping that the ct5 has around the edges of the glass on the outside of the car..

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back